Let's take a break?

last reply
10 replies
1.4k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Alright boys what does it mean when you guys say "let's take a break for a while." How can you take a break from someone you're dating? It's either you're together or break up,right? No in between. Utterly confused and does break mean no communication?
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by greysgirl87
Alright boys what does it mean when you guys say "let's take a break for a while." How can you take a break from someone you're dating? It's either you're together or break up,right? No in between. Utterly confused and does break mean no communication?

There could be more than one reason and none of them are good!
1. He wants to finish but doesn't want to hurt you. He doesn't realize that it's worse doing this!
2. He's getting too involved, he's new to this feeling and it scares him.
3. He thinks your too possessive and he's getting annoyed.
4. He's found somebody else but wants you as a fall back in case it doesn't work out.

More guys will add to these reasons.
My guess it's 1 or 4.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
It means he has found someone new.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Unfortunately in every example of "taking a break" that I've ever seen it was because the member or members of the relationship who were proposing it wanted out for some reason or another but didn't have the spine to carry out the deed.

If someone your with is proposing a break you need to have an honest talk with them about why exactly they want said break, and then find out if there is a workable alternative to said break. Breaks are ugly nasty affairs that usually either become or closely precede a break up, so tread carefully and make sure any action you take is very well communicated with your partner because you should really know why they want one before you decide if its something your willing to do.

As for reasons why a guy/girl would recommend one, I think dpw stated it best, life and relationships are dynamic so there could always be other reasons than these, but they are definitely the ones Ive heard of most often.

"1. He wants to finish but doesn't want to hurt you. He doesn't realize that it's worse doing this!
2. He's getting too involved, he's new to this feeling and it scares him.
3. He thinks your too possessive and he's getting annoyed.
4. He's found somebody else but wants you as a fall back in case it doesn't work out."
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Break up time is how I read it.ampR1Yg9STSOo9Di
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by greysgirl87

I used similar language twice with my then girlfriend / now wife. The first was simple the pressure of time ... I was going to university as a full-time student, carrying a larger number of classes than most and one that was incredibly time-consuming to study for. I had an extracurricular learning experience that was eating up 10-20 hours per week, plus travel for ten weekends during the year (which would mean leaving Thursday afternoon and coming back sometime Sunday afternoon or Monday). I had a part-time job on the weekends I wasn't out of town. I was trying to continue volunteering with a group that expected 10 hours a week. And I was trying to seduce my girlfriend. SOMETHING had to give, and my way out was to ask to "take a break" until the end of the semester.

The second fell into the territory of Icarus32's #2 -- I was pretty spooked by how much I liked her, and thought we needed to "cool things off" on my way out of the relationship.

Good news is that neither "break" wound up being permanent, and she agreed to become my wife. Many years later, I can say my willingness to ask and her willingness to let me back into a relationship with her is the best thing that I ever had a choice in.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Definitely not a good sign....but stick it to him and say "good, I was thinking the exact same thing...you cool if we see other people?"
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I've taken a break with an ex of mine before, insanely long story short we were together 4 and a half years and things were tough so we split up for 6 weeks (still living together) and although my intention was never to find someone else, merely to ease the pressure of being in the relationship, the lust we had together was unreal.
We did end up sleeping together a few times for 'old times sake' and we made the decision to try again because I was, and will always be totally in love with her.
In the end, the slut (and I have every valid reason for using that derogatory term) broke my heart twice more and I was left wondering that despite the good sex that I should have maintained the break because as a person, she was never right for me...

Moral of the story, always trust your instincts, if you need a break, then something is wrong and you should leave the relationship buried.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by greysgirl87

I though Rachel from friends coined that one.
{allba115-feed-5eed-facedeadbeef}
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by greysgirl87

I though Rachel from friends coined that one.
{allba115-feed-5eed-facedeadbeef}
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
It means I'd like to try someone else, but if it don't work out, I can come back to you.