last reply
1 reply
2.9k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Cryptic Vigilante
0 likes
Guide: Wax Play

As a lot of people, I've experimented with wax play a few times in the past to spice up some sexual adventures. I've never considered myself an expert though, and a lot of times I simply used the candles that were at hand after a dinner with a girl. Without much knowledge or a significant variety of candles at my disposal, these sessions had varying levels of success: sometimes the candles burned way too hot, while other times they didn't provide enough wax to really perform what I wanted to.

Since the last few months, partly because I invested in bondage accessories, I've been interested more and more in this topic. I've read a bit about it and also experimented with various types of candles while planning ahead a little more. I thus thought I'd share my modest expertise with anyone who'd like to expand their skills too.

The temperature at which a candle burns is probably the biggest factor to consider with wax play. Three major ingredients are typically used in the fabrication of candles:

- Paraffin wax, which is the fundamental burning component

- Mineral oil, which renders candles softer

- Stearine, which makes candles harder and able to be shaped in various forms

In general terms, the burning temperatures are as follow:

- Pure paraffin candles melt at around 54 to 57 °C (129 to 135 °F)

- Candles containing mineral oil in their blend burn cooler at around 50 °C (122 °F)

- Candles containing stearine burn hotter at around 60 °C to 70 °C (140 to 158 °F), which varies greatly according to the shape of the candle

In addition, soy wax and beeswax can also be used as the primary ingredient instead of paraffin wax, however these are not usually recommended for wax play. Although some soy wax blends can provide an adequate temperature, these blends can vary greatly, some of them burning at a temperature that can be way too high. Beeswax candles burn much hotter than equivalent paraffin candles and can be dangerous:

- Soy wax melts at 49 to 82 °C (120 to 180 °F), depending on the blend

- Beeswax candles burn at around 100 to 120 °C (212 to 248 °F)

Usually, pure paraffin will provide a temperature that will be satisfying for most people, providing a nice sensation without being too hot or burning the skin: this should be your starting point when experimenting with wax play. A lot of times, the shape of the candle will dictate its content, as follow:

- Taper candles often contain high levels of stearine, and burn at high temperatures

- Pillar candles are either made of pure paraffin (rare), or contain some stearine which will increase the melting temperature

- Jar candles are typically made of pure paraffin, some of them containing mineral oil which will reduce the temperature

I've made this diagram to better represent this evolution:

If pure paraffin wax is what you're seeking, jar candles are what you should buy. Jar candles are also advantageous in that they can easily accumulate large quantities of liquefied wax in their pots. Pillar candles can also be appropriate, but most of them will contain at least some trace amounts of stearine and will burn at a higher temperature. Some people seek a painful experience though, and might prefer candles that burn a bit hotter. Generally speaking, you can attest the temperature at which a candle will burn according to its hardness: the harder a candle is, the hotter it will burn.

Also, white/odorless candles will normally melt at a lower temperature, while colored/perfumed ones contain additives and will burn a little hotter. This can vary greatly according to the additives used in the blend, but you can play with these factors and buy different candles from the same brand to experiment a little.

You can also modify the temperature of the wax by adjusting the distance from which it drops from the candle: the closer a candle is to the skin, the hotter the wax will be, and vice-versa.

As a buying guide, I'd recommend the following directives:

- Try jar candles as a starting point, and see if they provide an adequate sensation for you and/or your partner

- If you seek something more intense, try various pillar (or taper) candles, until you find a type/brand that satisfies you

- If a type of candles burns a little too cold/hot, you can test different colors/perfumes from the same brand to obtain different melting points

Personally, I've tested different candles in the past few months, my personal preference being candles that sting rather distinctly without causing major pain or burns. I've found that most pillar candles were too hot for me, or at least I didn't find a brand that was adequate for me yet. Some of them were still pleasurable to some degree, but the pain was usually a bit too intense for me; I definitely wouldn't use them on my genitals.

A brand that greatly satisfies me so far are Glade Jar Candles. These are available in many countries and are somewhat reliable as anybody can buy them at their local drugstore. I verified on their website, and they're indeed made of pure paraffin (as well as some fragrances/dyes).

Another fun thing is that they're available in many different colors. What I like to do myself is use 3-4 candles of different colors during the same session, and paint the body of my partner to my liking. Using many candles is also advantageous, as a greater quantity of wax will be available at any given time; when pouring wax over your partner's body with a candle, the other candles will continue to burn and will constantly provide liquefied wax.

Hope you enjoyed, and feel free to share your advices as well!

PS: Here's a little reward for reading.
Story Verifier
0 likes
I never experienced wax play and didn't realise the safety aspect of using specific candles for this (makes sense really - don't want to end up looking like Freddy Kruger). So yeah, I won't be experimenting with glade candles on my girly bits. Excited to try it with these though