What is flirting...??

last reply
11 replies
1.2k views
0 watchers
0 likes
The Bee's Knees
0 likes
flirting makes the day go by faster! i tend to keep it light and playful but it can get hot and heavy with the right person. totally depends on your intention: provide a smile or express interest

Say. Her. Name.

Gravelly-Voiced Fucker
0 likes
Flirting is NOT cheating. Flirting is a socially acceptable way of harmlessly burning off sexual tension. It's life affirming and non-threatening and creative and fun.
In-House Sapiosexual
0 likes
No, flirting isn't cheating. And, it isn't always done because you lack something, have some need to be sexually fulfilled or need to release some sort of sexual tension. It's communication, a heightened sense of it. It is quite instinctual to want to be liked, to possibly make some one else feel liked, accepted. You feel good and they feel good. Dogs do a little trick or try to get in your path. Babies smile for no reason other than they like your face or they learned that it makes you smile back. Or, it could be gas and they are not even thinking about you specifically.

I'm told that I am a habitual flirt--males, females, children, animals. Honestly, it is the last thing on my mind. I just like people, I reach out and sense what makes them comfortable. I may not even have any need for their friendship or presence. I may sense something in them that I want to sustain. I feel good and they feel good. I've had it said to me on more than just a few occasions, "I'm not sure if you are flirting with me or just being nice." My response is always that if you have to ask, then I'm doing a good job.

Now if you use flirting with the intention of cheating in a relationship. The flirting isn't the problem, you are.
? A True Story ?
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Flirting is a way to make people smile. It's a way to lighten their day and to make them feel good about themselves. I've flirted with eighty-five year old women in wheel chairs and I've flirted with sultry bank tellers and seven-eleven clerks who hate their jobs and the gay guy in our office that nobody talks to. I don't give a fuck, I'll flirt with your grandmother if she looks like she won't smack me for it. It doesn't mean I'm trying to get in someone's pants although there have been times its led to that, when I was younger. Flirting isn't cheating, cheating is cheating. My wife used to say that it was so second nature to my personality that I don't even know I'm doing it half the time. If it is considered cheating, then I'm buggered.
“It's nice sometimes to open up the heart a little and let some hurt come in. It proves you're still alive.”
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I don't think that flirting is cheating, at least not inherently.

If a woman has a boyfriend but works as a waitress and she flirts with her customers then is she cheating on him? I would say no since it is not taking priority over her relationship. She may be doing it to pass the time, get better tips, or even just to have a fun conversation.

Back in college I used to work a whole slew of crappy jobs. About half of the time I was in a relationship and about half of the time I was single. Regardless of my status at the time, I would still flirt with coworkers and customers in order to make the time go by faster and keep myself surrounded by smiling faces. In my mind, I was making those around me feel better about themselves and their day while having fun doing it. Hell, most of the people with which I was flirting were in relationships themselves. I don't think anyone involved was ever trying to get away something behind their partner's back and instead was just interested in being friendly.

I can’t think of a good tagline so this will have to do. Suggest a better one for me?

Chuckanator
0 likes
Quote by avrgblkgrl
No, flirting isn't cheating. And, it isn't always done because you lack something, have some need to be sexually fulfilled or need to release some sort of sexual tension.

Now if you use flirting with the intention of cheating in a relationship. The flirting isn't the problem, you are.

This! I'm the same way. I love to flirt. It's my nature. But some times it's construed as a sexual come on.
Lurker
0 likes
A more interesting and playful way for me to say "I think you're fit" or "You're a pretty decent human being" because sometimes not saying something outright is more fun.

A way to make someone smile.

A great way to kill some time.

A way to boost my tips when I was a waitress.

I don't class flirting as cheating - fun and innocent in my book (okay, maybe boosting tips wasn't so innocent...)
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
Quote by hopp3r
I don't think that flirting is cheating, at least not inherently.

If a woman has a boyfriend but works as a waitress and she flirts with her customers then is she cheating on him?

I agree with this - that there are situations where it is somewhat expected of you, and that it isn't ALWAYS a wrong. However...

Quote by Verbal
Flirting is NOT cheating. Flirting is a socially acceptable way of harmlessly burning off sexual tension. It's life affirming and non-threatening and creative and fun.

When you talk about flirting like this - as "burning off sexual tension" - I think you've probably crossed the line. Again, that depends on the relationship. But if it's something that you wouldn't want to be caught doing, you're probably 'cheating' in one form or another. Maybe not in a way that would stand up in court, but as they say you may not be breaking the letter of the law, but you're breaking the spirit.

To me, flirting is the chase between predator and prey. If your flirting is witty banter to get a smile out of an 85 year old woman you have no intention of sleeping with, you're probably ok. If you're flirting with the slutty 20 something at the bar because you're horny and your significant other isn't there, you're probably not ok.
Lurker
0 likes
Flirting is not cheating.
It is playful behavior intended to arouse sexual interest
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I have to agree with Sprhr2's statemet

Quote by sprhr2

When you talk about flirting like this - as "burning off sexual tension" - I think you've probably crossed the line. Again, that depends on the relationship. But if it's something that you wouldn't want to be caught doing, you're probably 'cheating' in one form or another. Maybe not in a way that would stand up in court, but as they say you may not be breaking the letter of the law, but you're breaking the spirit.

To me, flirting is the chase between predator and prey. If your flirting is witty banter to get a smile out of an 85 year old woman you have no intention of sleeping with, you're probably ok. If you're flirting with the slutty 20 something at the bar because you're horny and your significant other isn't there, you're probably not ok.

My

If you are flirting in a fun and playful manner, it's just flirting. However, if you are doing it with the intent of seducing/enticing someone into some form of sexual play, then it's not playful flirting, especially if you are involved with someone.

It also depends on the people involved. I playfully flirt with my friends in real life and online, but they understand it's just playing, it's not going to lead to anything. But, if I intentionally flirt with someone that I know has feelings for me (but I am not romantically interested in them), and it's in a very sexual way, then I've crossed the line. I am now misleading that person, and that's not cool.

You have to take in account how your partner feels about your behavior with others and how you would feel if it was being done to you. It's about respect and caring about the feelings of the person you are with.

Watch what you say, how you act, what you post, because people will misinterpret your actions.
Gravelly-Voiced Fucker
0 likes
Quote by sprhr2

Yeah, perhaps I do sound a little defensive there. smile Yes, flirting, even without the intent of having sex with someone, is crossing a line if you don't want your partner to catch you doing it. I don't know that it's cheating. But it's being duplicitous, and disrespectful toward the relationship. And thus wrong.