Images uploading into image gallery sideways

last reply
12 replies
1.5k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Site administrator
0 likes
I attempted to help a member out as follows and failed!

She has 2 images in her gallery that are sideways. She sent me the 2 images in a room .. I saved them to my laptop (W8.1) .. in Photos I rotated them 90 degress to portrait and uploaded them to my image gallery .. they uploaded sideways.

Any ideas please?

Oh and its pouring with rain here .. can someone do anything about that too?
0 likes
No, it's not just her...it seems like no matter how I take a picture (camera on phone upside down, rightside up, sideways) and no matter how the photo downloads into my OneDrive, the pic always uploads sideways, at least for the past two months. I thought I was doing something wrong, but it appears to be some kind of system glitch. Paging Gav....
Want to spend some time wallowing in a Recommended Read? Pick one! Or two! Or seven!

Matriarch
0 likes
This might help: http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/digitalphotography/f/sideways-pictures.htm Something about the software you're using, not recognising the orientation tags used on iPhones and the like (including certain Microsoft products).

I've asked Gav if he's changed anything our side. The software here simply uploads what you put in. It may look vertical in your viewer, but that's not how computers read the information given!

Test straight off my iPhone of the lovely English countryside (I was using the phone upright):

Scarlet Seductress
0 likes
Quote by nicola
This might help: http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/digitalphotography/f/sideways-pictures.htm Something about the software you're using, not recognising the orientation tags used on iPhones and the like (including certain Microsoft products).

I've asked Gav if he's changed anything our side. The software here simply uploads what you put in. It may look vertical in your viewer, but that's not how computers read the information given!

Test straight off my iPhone of the lovely English countryside (I was using the phone upright):

I was just about to write a post about EXIF tags, lol. Thanks for saving me a job.

Love the photo! Very dramatic clouds.
Matriarch
0 likes
Quote by Liz

I was just about to write a post about EXIF tags, lol. Thanks for saving me a job.

Love the photo! Very dramatic clouds.

It was a shame, the sun went in about 5 minutes before I spotted the field. This area of East Anglia has a lot of "field mustard" (rapeseed), used to produce canola oil. It's not so great for bees.

Hopefully the link above helps our troubled image posters.
Site administrator
0 likes
Quote by nicola

You posted an image in the forum. Thats different to uploading it to an image gallery with refit to size selected surely. I am on a laptop running Windows 8.1 not some posh telephone.

I am thinking your response was to Herateleia.

Matriarch
0 likes
Quote by simplyjohn

You posted an image in the forum. Thats different to uploading it to an image gallery with refit to size selected surely. I am on a laptop running Windows 8.1 not some posh telephone.

I am thinking your response was to Herateleia.

Yes, it was. I misread the issue.

I've just uploaded it to my image gallery, with resize to fit: https://www.lushstories.com/nicola/images/23952
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I've had the exact same issue as well. Shots posting sideways or upside down. And I'm loading from a macbook pro.

I'll check out the link posted above.

Nice shot of the English countryside!
Matriarch
0 likes
Gav is going to look into this. The uploader program should be a little more helpful, based on the image properties.

I've noticed the same problem on other sites lately. It is very frustrating, particularly when the image looks fine on your PC / Mac.
Matriarch
0 likes
I just encountered this here, having taken lots of photos today, with my iPhone up vertically (you'd expect those images to upload vertically wouldn't you?).

What I ended up doing, was opening the images in MS Paint, then saving them as a PNG. They uploaded the right way after that.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Thanks for the PNG suggestion! I just downloaded Image Converter onto my Mac and converted one from a JPG to a PNG. It uploaded just fine. Thanks guys!
Matriarch
0 likes
Quote by ZigDust
Thanks for the PNG suggestion! I just downloaded Image Converter onto my Mac and converted one from a JPG to a PNG. It uploaded just fine. Thanks guys!

0 likes
What if you have a samsung? Just rotated it three times still got the same sideways puc..ps am very uninformed when it comes to using my older smart phone