Project Semi Colon: Lush Style

last reply
1.5k replies
93.1k views
3 watchers
78 likes
Her Royal Spriteness
3 likes
I wrote this up, recently, in the mod thread. Nicola suggested I share it with a larger audience, so here it is - there was a lot of incredibly personal stuff, beyond what follows, btw, that i felt wise to edit out, but the meat, as they say, is still here.

First off, Project semi colon can be found here:

http://www.projectsemicolon.com/

A few things, that some of you, myself included, might take pause at - it's faith based, meaning it has close ties to Christianity. That said, I like the idea enough to share the link - it might not be for everyone, but the idea of it is worthy. here goes...

Among other things, i am employed as a part time volunteer at an LGBT center. One of the kids today - yes, I am old enough to call them kids now - time to start drinking - one of the teens I work with had a semi-colon tattoo on his wrist. What's that, i wondered out loud. are you a writer?

Project semi-colon. I think I'd heard the name once. A semi colon is a pause. Apparently it was taken up by some people and became a thing - a pause, a story not finished. He showed me his scars, too. one on each wrist. We are all writers, even those who don't write. We all have a story to tell. Sometimes, though, people get to the point where they put down the pen and try to end it too early. It's a reminder, he tells me, that there's more to his story. I like the idea. I am planning on doing a little research into the project when time permits. I may even get my own tat. For now, I've drawn one on my left wrist. It's blue. I like blue. smile The dot bit and the comma are separated by a scar...

You can learn from anyone if you keep an open mind and just listen. Listening, is key, btw. Most of us just need to know that someone is listening. That's something else I get here. I know that I can find someone to listen when I really need it, whether in the forums, or one on one. I asked him about his story. He shared it. It's his though, and not mine. He asked me about mine, and I shared as well and he just listened. Simple as that. It felt good. It went something like this;

Shortly before New Years last year, I tried to kill myself. I have suffered from insomnia peppered by nightmares since I was 21. The last couple of years have been particularly bad. PTSD isn't fun to deal with. I just wanted to close my eyes and know that I could sleep in peace for one night. Figured the only way to do that, really, was to off myself. It wasn't one of the smartest things I've ever done. It almost wrecked my marriage. It almost destroyed a very precious friendship, and it derailed my new found career as a student. I am, currently, struggling again, and may very well go back on meds until I feel I can deal with it on my own. I don't like having to do that, but we have to do lots of things we don't like to keep ourselves healthy. Like eating broccoli... yuck. :)

I still have those thoughts from time to time. I still feel alone, even knowing I am surrounded by people who love me. We all have those moments. I am sharing my story here, but really, this is not about me. This is about all of you; of us. You are not alone. Ever. You all have beautiful stories that need to be finished. You all have people who care about you. Anytime any of you need someone to just listen, just say so. Sometimes it's hard to start talking - this wasn't easy, trust me, but once you do, you forget about it. You need to talk, talk. We all have shit that we go through, have gone through, will go through. None of it is trivial and it's never a contest. Even the "little things" that get to you can still loom large in your life.

This was hard, btw, coming out. I have only told a couple of people here my story. But I am glad I finally got the courage to do it. And, if you don't feel comfy doing it here, remember, people who love you are surround you, if you just open your eyes. reach out to them, to friends and family. Reach out to the community. You'd be surprised at the stories people here have beyond what we publish.

And, when someone reaches out to you, take a moment, a pause, if you will, to listen, to nod, to tell them that yeah, you get it, that you understand. Just listen. It's so very easy, it takes so little time and effort, and yet, it means so much.

xo
rachel

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Internet Philosopher
0 likes
This is a serious and meaningful post that everyone should read. I applaud Sprite 's courageousness and strength of spirit for bringing this to out attention.
0 likes
Rachel,

You're an incredible woman and this outpouring of honesty shows that even more. If this helps but one person you've done an amazing job I (and most) would only hope to do. Congratulations on your honesty, it takes a very courageous person to share such things.

Hugs to you my friend!
The night that changed my life, a four part series of a married man lusting after his co-worker

[URL=http://www.lushstories.com/stories/reluctance/the-night-that-changed-my-life-1.aspx][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/WPPsy.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
Lurker
0 likes
Wow. I know this was hard for you Rachel. I battled depression for many years and just when I think I'm passed it, it makes another appearance just to remind me it's still deep inside. I know many others who deal with this shit weekly and my heart goes out to them. You are so right, listening is key. We don't need oppinions - a caring, listening ear is help enough.

May your courage start a trend around here. This is important enough that it should be flagged so it can be easily found.

Thank you so much for opening your heart. Hugs.
"insensitive prick!" – Danielle Algo
0 likes
Hi Rachel,

Since I'm kinda speechless after reading your post I'll just say I agree with everything Dudealicious just said and throw in some extra hugs.

Wish you well

===  Not ALL LIVES MATTER until BLACK LIVES MATTER  ===

Gentleman Stranger
0 likes
Rachel,
We haven't known each other a long time, but my life is richer for having met you. Rarely, anymore, does a day go by that you haven't made me laugh, or even just smile and shake my head, or think about things that I otherwise would not have, and in different ways.

What I'm saying is that you enrich lives. You share yourself, your talent, your wit and your compassion. You touch people and each time, in some small way, you make our lives better, just as you did with the young man you mention. Don’t ever doubt yourself or your place in the hearts of those you touch.

You're one incredible lady.
J
Rainbow Warrior
0 likes
I'm glad Nicola encouraged you to share this beyond the mod thread, Rachel. I've been seeing this project around a lot lately, and I'm hoping it endures, and doesn't simply become a fad, like the ALS icebucket challenge. It's a very worthy endeavor, faith-based or not, and it has the potential to help a lot of people who are in a similar state of mind (and there are a lot of them, especially in this age of increased bullying in schools and online!).

Thanks for your bravery and openness, as well. Maybe it will encourage others to open up and seek a listening ear when they really need it. The alternative can result in the unfortunate finality of a period.
Chuckanator
0 likes
Quote by sprite
I wrote this up, recently, in the mod thread. Nicola suggested I share it with a larger audience, so here it is - there was a lot of incredibly personal stuff, beyond what follows, btw, that i felt wise to edit out, but the meat, as they say, is still here.

First off, Project semi colon can be found here:

http://www.projectsemicolon.com/

A few things, that some of you, myself included, might take pause at - it's faith based, meaning it has close ties to Christianity. That said, I like the idea enough to share the link - it might not be for everyone, but the idea of it is worthy. here goes...

Among other things, i am employed as a part time volunteer at an LGBT center. One of the kids today - yes, I am old enough to call them kids now - time to start drinking - one of the teens I work with had a semi-colon tattoo on his wrist. What's that, i wondered out loud. are you a writer?

Project semi-colon. I think I'd heard the name once. A semi colon is a pause. Apparently it was taken up by some people and became a thing - a pause, a story not finished. He showed me his scars, too. one on each wrist. We are all writers, even those who don't write. We all have a story to tell. Sometimes, though, people get to the point where they put down the pen and try to end it too early. It's a reminder, he tells me, that there's more to his story. I like the idea. I am planning on doing a little research into the project when time permits. I may even get my own tat. For now, I've drawn one on my left wrist. It's blue. I like blue. smile The dot bit and the comma are separated by a scar...

You can learn from anyone if you keep an open mind and just listen. Listening, is key, btw. Most of us just need to know that someone is listening. That's something else I get here. I know that I can find someone to listen when I really need it, whether in the forums, or one on one. I asked him about his story. He shared it. It's his though, and not mine. He asked me about mine, and I shared as well and he just listened. Simple as that. It felt good. It went something like this;

Shortly before New Years last year, I tried to kill myself. I have suffered from insomnia peppered by nightmares since I was 21. The last couple of years have been particularly bad. PTSD isn't fun to deal with. I just wanted to close my eyes and know that I could sleep in peace for one night. Figured the only way to do that, really, was to off myself. It wasn't one of the smartest things I've ever done. It almost wrecked my marriage. It almost destroyed a very precious friendship, and it derailed my new found career as a student. I am, currently, struggling again, and may very well go back on meds until I feel I can deal with it on my own. I don't like having to do that, but we have to do lots of things we don't like to keep ourselves healthy. Like eating broccoli... yuck. :)

I still have those thoughts from time to time. I still feel alone, even knowing I am surrounded by people who love me. We all have those moments. I am sharing my story here, but really, this is not about me. This is about all of you; of us. You are not alone. Ever. You all have beautiful stories that need to be finished. You all have people who care about you. Anytime any of you need someone to just listen, just say so. Sometimes it's hard to start talking - this wasn't easy, trust me, but once you do, you forget about it. You need to talk, talk. We all have shit that we go through, have gone through, will go through. None of it is trivial and it's never a contest. Even the "little things" that get to you can still loom large in your life.

This was hard, btw, coming out. I have only told a couple of people here my story. But I am glad I finally got the courage to do it. And, if you don't feel comfy doing it here, remember, people who love you are surround you, if you just open your eyes. reach out to them, to friends and family. Reach out to the community. You'd be surprised at the stories people here have beyond what we publish.

And, when someone reaches out to you, take a moment, a pause, if you will, to listen, to nod, to tell them that yeah, you get it, that you understand. Just listen. It's so very easy, it takes so little time and effort, and yet, it means so much.

xo
rachel

Rachel,
This was a very brave thing you've done here. I was one of the people that you shared some of your life with, as I did you. I'm not at the point I could publicly share the horrors of my childhood but your listening ears meant a lot to me. We seem to be in a society that is divided by lines at a time when unity and compassion is needed the most. Your post, is a beacon in the storm. I logged on to this post thinking it a grammar lesson and found so much more. God bless you.

Chuck xxx
Lurker
0 likes

Rachel,

I am right with you on this... I know too well the sleepless nights, the nightmares, the palpitations of the heart, the uneasiness felt.

I too suffer from PTSD, and I have also taken this project to heart.

I must confess, this was the last thing I read last night, and I cried, and cried for hours. I wanted to scream out loud... but silence was all my mouth could produce...

Thank you for sharing this here, as it touches more than just a few... It touches so many more... so so many more...

Love to you always

Arlene
Cheeky Chick
1 like
The semi colon project seems to have started back in 2013 and has been a huge awareness for people who suffer from depression and being suicidal. Of course anyone can be apart of this project, but My story is not over yet. Is towards anyone who is still alive and surviving this thing we call life.

I have a personal account on Tumblr and I've seen hundreds of stories on there about why people have gotten this tattoo, along the photos of their tattoo. Many of them are come from being depressed. Since I suffer from Bipolar disorder I know how hard it is. I've been battling with Bipolar and anxiety since around the age of nine, but I wasn't officially diagnosed until I was fourteen after I tried to commit suicide. I spent almost two weeks in the hospital and all I wanted was to die. I had many reasons why I didn't feel like I could continue to live.

Eventually they found the right kind of medication for me and sent me on my way, along with a therapist and I was starting to be okay. Until two years later, when I went downhill again and tried once more to kill myself. I spent another two weeks in the hospital.

Being Bipolar for me, is like being on a roller coaster blindfolded. You don't know when those up hills are coming but you sure do hope and pray for them. Because those are the times when things are good, evened out, life almost makes sense to you. But with uphills, comes downhills. And those come smacking you in the face so hard your whole world goes black. You see nothing but darkness and unhappiness. Nothing can make you better and when you or anyone else tries, it only makes it worse.

Lately for me, I feel like I'm coasting, which is more negative than good. I feel as though I have nothing to offer the world and I'm better off not being here. It's not that I want to 'die', at least not right now. I just feel like I don't belong. I was a mistake. I don't bring anything to the world. I believe firmly we all are put on this world for one reason or another, but there are some bad eggs that get hatched and I truly believe I'm one of them.

I'm currently on medication and have been for a few months. I just don't like how I feel. I'm seeing my doctor next will and will talk to her about how I'm feeling, I'm just not sure how much more she can do for me. I guess we will have to see.

I do know one thing though. When I save enough money I'd very much love to get this tattoo. I think it would be a nice reminder to have and see as proof that My story is not over yet.

The Bee's Knees
0 likes
wow... all of the courage displayed here ASTOUNDS me. like those of you who posted, sprite, chicamala and poppet to be specific, i too fight a daily battle with anxiety and depression. this past year and a half has been the most traumatic. very recently i found the strength to open up to my closest friends about it. opening up to them was emotionally exhausting, but very well worth it. i don't know how you have managed to bare your souls here...

i know how it feels to long for the person you used to be and dread what the future holds. i've learned to take things one day at a time; it's all i can do. SO often i've felt as though my story has ended, that the next chapter is far too ahead. but i WON'T let it end here -i can't. there's TOO much living to do. thank you for reminding me that there are others who share my struggle. because of this post i've found a new symbol of strength -the semicolon. who knew?! inspiration can TRULY be found anywhere.

nia?

Say. Her. Name.

Normal Adjacent
0 likes
I posted the below on another thread but thought it would be appropriate for here as well. I hadn't heard of the semi-colon project, but I am glad I have been made aware of it now.

I can relate to most of the previous posts. I've been battling these issues since I was 5. Back then they just didn't have a name for it and doctors didn't think children could be depressed, much less bi-polar. Things have come a long way and I am grateful that my children don't have as much as a struggle as I did. It still is a daily battle but at least there are medications and awareness now that I did not have.

I was planning another tattoo and am now thinking that might just be the perfect one to get. Thank you to everyone, especially Sprite for all the information and it really is good to know we are not alone and someone is there to just listen.

"I hate it when people say we are brave as well. We aren't, it's just a fact of life. We have to deal with it. The alternative being we don't and I do have experience in attempting to choose that route as well. The only thing I can add is as that as I have gotten older things have gotten better. You learn to recognize signs and symptoms earlier and manage them better. That's not to say it still isn't a struggle some days. Having someone just listen often can make the difference in a bad day turning into a disastrous one. So if you want to know what to do for someone who is suffering from any kind of mental or mood disorder, just be a friend and lend them an ear or a shoulder to cry on if that's what they need.

The world is getting a bit better at understanding these things but there is still a certain stigma. Just don't ever add to that. Educate yourself with facts and ask questions. I know I am happy to explain to people what it's like for me. I've had to learn to be an advocate and not so much for myself, but for the two children I passed along these genes to.

Two best pieces of advice: Don't tell someone you know how they feel unless you do and have had these issues yourself.
Do just ask, "What can I do?". Often it really is as simple as being there and just listening."

Gill
Lady GlitterGiggles
0 likes
I am glad my fab friend commented here or I may have never seen this post. I spent over 25 years with depression, anxiety, insomnia....ugh, too many "diagnosis", so many prescriptions that never worked, self medicated, and 11 years ago it stopped. I'm not going to go into any more of my details here, but am here (too much-lol) for anyone who wants or needs to chat.

Thank you Rachel for this thread. It is courageous and important.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by honeydipped
wow... all of the courage displayed here ASTOUNDS me. like those of you who posted, sprite, chicamala and poppet to be specific, i too fight a daily battle with anxiety and depression. this past year and a half has been the most traumatic. very recently i found the strength to open up to my closest friends about it. opening up to them was emotionally exhausting, but very well worth it. i don't know how you have managed to bare your souls here...

i know how it feels to long for the person you used to be and dread what the future holds. i've learned to take things one day at a time; it's all i can do. SO often i've felt as though my story has ended, that the next chapter is far too ahead. but i WON'T let it end here -i can't. there's TOO much living to do. thank you for reminding me that there are others who share my struggle. because of this post i've found a new symbol of strength -the semicolon. who knew?! inspiration can TRULY be found anywhere.

nia?

I fear the for some of us, life will never, ever return to how you where before, to regain whom you thought you where; life just keeps on moving...
I have learned to talk to some, and I guess opening up here online is easier, as it is behind a screen. However small it seems it is a huge thing for many to really open up.
I feel as if some of the struggles just keep on going on, no matter how balanced the rest of someones life is, for me this came about from an incident in the Military, and however horrific that was, I will never ever regret my time in the Military.

I now lead a support group, and got my Peer to Peer training completed for me to be available for other veterans such as myself to contact me, no matter the situation of the time.
It is the way we are, we are there for one another, as we might of gone thru the same thing.

I truly commend you for opening up to your closest friends, I can tell you that many of us never do... some always keep it hidden from friends and family, as we fear rejection from those closest to us.
In one of the groups I lead, the comments where, "no one believed me when I finally said something; the just said I was too strong to let anything like that ever happen to me." That in itself stops many of us, from really opening up. So I truly do commend you for that...

Arlene
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
It's very easy to feel isolated when you're in the middle of it. that's the enemy, you know. feeling alone, like no one cares, or gets it, or even knows. of course, sometimes they don't, cause we get so good at hiding it until the lid blows off. i've had a lot of conversations in the past 6 months where i've been on the edge of wanting to talk about this, and never found the right words, so i just pushed it away and pretended things were fine. i think that's the important thing, that we find ways to open up and trust that someone will listen. that's what this thread is all about, just a good way to start a dialogue. thank you everyone who has been, or will, able to push past the fear and the shame and remind the rest of us that, hey, we're in good company, or at least in the company of good, wonderful, beautiful people. heart

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Lurker
0 likes
Quote by chicamala

I fear the for some of us, life will never, ever return to how you where before, to regain whom you thought you where; life just keeps on moving...
I have learned to talk to some, and I guess opening up here online is easier, as it is behind a screen. However small it seems it is a huge thing for many to really open up.
I feel as if some of the struggles just keep on going on, no matter how balanced the rest of someones life is, for me this came about from an incident in the Military, and however horrific that was, I will never ever regret my time in the Military.

I now lead a support group, and got my Peer to Peer training completed for me to be available for other veterans such as myself to contact me, no matter the situation of the time.
It is the way we are, we are there for one another, as we might of gone thru the same thing.

I truly commend you for opening up to your closest friends, I can tell you that many of us never do... some always keep it hidden from friends and family, as we fear rejection from those closest to us.
In one of the groups I lead, the comments where, "no one believed me when I finally said something; the just said I was too strong to let anything like that ever happen to me." That in itself stops many of us, from really opening up. So I truly do commend you for that...

Arlene

First to Rachel:
Thank you for sharing so much. I KNOW only too well how difficult that is to do (as does anyone and everyone else who has PTSD regardless of it's source.)

Next, to Honeydipped (Nia),
As my VERY GOOD FRIEND and Sister in Arms Chicamala has said, there is NO going back. What was is gone, but that doesn't mean that you HAVE TO remain where you are either. You CAN move ahead and while you will never "put it all behind you", you are NOT "the only one who feels this way" as pretty much everyone with PTSD originally assumes. There ARE many of us. As Rachel said, the important thing is... TO REACH OUT TO OTHERS. Those of us who share it with you will be ready to listen to you, not judge you and ready and willing to "hold you" while we do listen. (No not in a sexual way, in a loving way. I've hugged and held fellow male combat veterans ... because they NEEDED IT, and they are my Brothers, and I am VERY straight.)

To Arlene:
Thanks for being whom and what you are... my VERY good friend. You KNOW I'm here for you at anytime you need a loving friend.
Gravelly-Voiced Fucker
0 likes
Thank you, Sprite, for this gift of a thread.

The stories collecting here show such courage and strength and honesty. Some of you I know, and some of you in turn know my own story and struggles. But to everyone who had the courage to share their stories here, I give you my heart. Trudging through loss and pain and hopelessness, following the dim path toward hope and belief and renewal and redemption.

We are here to carry each other. This project is such a lovely example of the simple everyday bravery it sometimes takes to be alive, and to keep our lives alight.

;
Chuckanator
0 likes
Quote by BethanyFrasier
I'm glad Nicola encouraged you to share this beyond the mod thread, Rachel. I've been seeing this project around a lot lately, and I'm hoping it endures, and doesn't simply become a fad, like the ALS icebucket challenge. It's a very worthy endeavor, faith-based or not, and it has the potential to help a lot of people who are in a similar state of mind (and there are a lot of them, especially in this age of increased bullying in schools and online!).

Thanks for your bravery and openness, as well. Maybe it will encourage others to open up and seek a listening ear when they really need it. The alternative can result in the unfortunate finality of a period.

Well said Beth. I agree 100%.
Unicorn Wrangler
0 likes
Rach,

As someone who has gotten to know you over the past two plus years, I know how much it took for you to share this not only with the mods... but with the rest of Lush as well. I've always admired you for your courage, and I've told you so. Now... I'm telling everyone.

As someone who knows you, and the source of your PTSD (well... one of them... I won't even presume to know all the causes), I know how easy it is to just throw in the towel and say "FUCK IT!" I know the feeling of fear gripping your soul, choking you off, and making you think you can't go on (I experienced that earlier this year.) It was your strength and friendship that helped me get though that shit.

I've seen the posts on Facebook about Project Semi Colon and I know for you to make this as public as you did too courage. More courage than you probably thought you had. Thank you for sharing this with us. Your courage and strength still impresses me beyond words.

May peace & love fill you life & future.

~Nymph
Cheeky Chick
0 likes
Quote by sprite
It's very easy to feel isolated when you're in the middle of it. that's the enemy, you know. feeling alone, like no one cares, or gets it, or even knows. of course, sometimes they don't, cause we get so good at hiding it until the lid blows off. i've had a lot of conversations in the past 6 months where i've been on the edge of wanting to talk about this, and never found the right words, so i just pushed it away and pretended things were fine. i think that's the important thing, that we find ways to open up and trust that someone will listen. that's what this thread is all about, just a good way to start a dialogue. thank you everyone who has been, or will, able to push past the fear and the shame and remind the rest of us that, hey, we're in good company, or at least in the company of good, wonderful, beautiful people. heart

You're right, people do feel like no one can relate or understand what that person is going through. That's because no two people go through something the same. Even if they have the same events happen to them, it's going to have a different impact on them different. Yes, it helps when you can talk to someone who can at least relate to it in some sense. For me, it is always hardest trying to explain how and why I am wired the way I am to someone who has never suffered from depression or anxiety. It becomes frustrating. Hugs you
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by Poppet

You're right, people do feel like no one can relate or understand what that person is going through. That's because no two people go through something the same. Even if they have the same events happen to them, it's going to have a different impact on them different. Yes, it helps when you can talk to someone who can at least relate to it in some sense. For me, it is always hardest trying to explain how and why I am wired the way I am to someone who has never suffered from depression or anxiety. It becomes frustrating. Hugs you

Sometimes, people try to find a cure, a way to cheer you up, they try to fix you. it's a beautiful intention that leaves me feeling worse many times. it reminds me that i'm broken, that there is something wrong with me. my wife has become very good at just listening. she doesn't pass judgement, she doesn't offer solutions, she simply allows me to open up and after, often, it's enough to push me out of that place.

Cheeky Chick
0 likes
Quote by sprite
Sometimes, people try to find a cure, a way to cheer you up, they try to fix you. it's a beautiful intention that leaves me feeling worse many times. it reminds me that i'm broken, that there is something wrong with me. my wife has become very good at just listening. she doesn't pass judgement, she doesn't offer solutions, she simply allows me to open up and after, often, it's enough to push me out of that place.

You know, I really don't care for when people try to cheer me up or make me feel better either. I'm usually pretty dark and irritated at that point and I see no light. And when someone tries to help, it's like they are forcing me to be something I literally can't do at that moment. It is a process, one even ourselves can't force. It just happens. Talking (when we want and on our own terms) is usually the best thing. The other person just needs to shut their mouth (lol) and let us vent. It really can help.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by sprite

Oh sweetie, it is a reminder of where we are... but broken we are not. I am so glad you found that one that lets you be you.. that lets you just be, that just listens and is there for you with just enough presence to let you pull out of those times that do come.

I at times find myself there... and it is harder... I move forward more so for the sake of my son, than my own will... my own determination to keep on...
Bonnet Flaunter
0 likes
Quote by sprite

Rachel, thank you so much for this thread. Not only for your honesty at some incredibly difficult parts of your life that you have just hinted at before now, or for raising awareness about project semi-colon but also for encouraging others here to share their stories too.

Its a reminder that we really are a community here, and having the courage to speak out means that you will receive unstinting love, understanding and support here. Sending all that to everyone and anyone who is struggling right now xxx
0 likes
I know when I meet some one and they ask ,"what are your hobbies" and my answer is always the same" My computer" why .. because I to suffer with this ..I have had PTSD for a long time, but seems to get worse instead of better.. I have come to the point over the last 2 years if I don't HAVE to go out of my house I DON"T. I am much more comfortable here in my room by my self. I don't like being around people any more. When I do go out it is to one place, To get my hair done, and I can go there only because there is 2 ppl that work there ,they both know my problem and I get in when no one else is there. My family doesn't under stand and gets upset because I wont go out. Then if you do decide and try to explain, they aren't really listening because they tell you, just make your self,. There is NO making yourself. I have tried many different meds. talking to head Drs. ,But what works best for me is to be home in my "Safe zone". I know life will never be the same for me again. I am learning to deal with the life I have now,the isolation. But it is much better than going out and going into a panic attack. With out this thread I would have never told anyone about this. But when ppl ask you what you do alll day ,they just don't understand,So you say why bother to try and explain. I find myself even here staying to myself. Hiding behind a screen is much easier..... Simplicity xo
Click below to see

Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by Simplicity
I know when I meet some one and they ask ,"what are your hobbies" and my answer is always the same" My computer" why .. because I to suffer with this ..I have had PTSD for a long time, but seems to get worse instead of better.. I have come to the point over the last 2 years if I don't HAVE to go out of my house I DON"T. I am much more comfortable here in my room by my self. I don't like being around people any more. When I do go out it is to one place, To get my hair done, and I can go there only because there is 2 ppl that work there ,they both know my problem and I get in when no one else is there. My family doesn't under stand and gets upset because I wont go out. Then if you do decide and try to explain, they aren't really listening because they tell you, just make your self,. There is NO making yourself. I have tried many different meds. talking to head Drs. ,But what works best for me is to be home in my "Safe zone". I know life will never be the same for me again. I am learning to deal with the life I have now,the isolation. But it is much better than going out and going into a panic attack. With out this thread I would have never told anyone about this. But when ppl ask you what you do alll day ,they just don't understand,So you say why bother to try and explain. I find myself even here staying to myself. Hiding behind a screen is much easier..... Simplicity xo

at two points in my life, i've been in the same place. there were two places in my life - one was the safety behind my locked front door. the other was the uncertainty and terror of everything outside my four walls. there are still days when i really have to push myself to leave the house, but there are also plenty of days when i don't - the bad days have gotten fewer and fewer. there was no magical cure or even scientific one. i was just able to deal with things better as time went by - that's me. it's not true for everyone, and believe me, i GET it.

Good days. i don't take them for granted. i know better. yeah, i get it. there IS no making yourself. when the fear hits, when the panic hits, there's no reason or logic. it just eats into your brain. one of the things that lush has given me is the ability to still be social when those moments hit. my safe zone includes chatting and posting and it keeps me from withdrawing into myself when i'm going through those times. thank god for technology! smile

Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by curvygalore

Rachel, thank you so much for this thread. Not only for your honesty at some incredibly difficult parts of your life that you have just hinted at before now, or for raising awareness about project semi-colon but also for encouraging others here to share their stories too.

Its a reminder that we really are a community here, and having the courage to speak out means that you will receive unstinting love, understanding and support here. Sending all that to everyone and anyone who is struggling right now xxx

Having a safe envirornment is key. how many of us have never shared, simply because we felt like we were in a hostile place? this is, for Simplicity's sake (see what i did there? Steph's not the ONLY clever one) a safe zone to share and know that you will be heard and not dismissed or judged.

Cheeky Chick
0 likes
Quote by Simplicity

I don't have PTSD, nothing that I am aware of is why I am the way that I am. I just always have been from as young as I can remember. The one thing I do know is that I have a deep seeded fear of people and they scare the living crap out of me. I can feel it with even family. Outside of my mum and sister and of course my young nieces. Anyone could come and hurt me and it terrifies me. So, I too, keep myself locked away in my apartment all alone. I want to get out, I want to do thing, I want to be normal and I even try, but if I feel trapped or feel like I'm suffocating, I have to leave ASAP.

One of the biggest things I don't like people asking me is "what's new?" Because with me... It's usually nothing. I do the same things basically every day, within a routine, to help keep my stress levels down.

You do what you need to, to feel safe. Don't let anyone make you feel badly about it either. Hugs