how to be friends?

last reply
33 replies
2.0k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
We upset and hurt each other, even though we don't mean to. We've talked about it a few times, but yet the cycle recurs.

Have you ever been in a situation where you both like each other but seemingly dont know how to be friends? Any ideas on how to improve this?

Your thoughts/suggestions would be much appreciated. Thank you.
Lurker
0 likes
You are referring to male-female friendship? Those things don't exist.
Unless you are fucking each other
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Sabroan

Thanks. Does phone sex count?

Yes, male-female friendship. What does everyone else think? does it really not exist?
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Are you having sex with this guy? (other than phone sex). If not, then its my guess that he likes you but resents the fact that you won't have sex with him. Maybe you just want to be friends and resent the fact that he wants sex?

I am friends with a lady that I've known for 30 years. We have never done anything more than kiss. I have always had some resentment about this, sometimes consciously and sometimes unconsciously. But I value the friendship enough that I keep my resentment in check.

We dictate the terms of each of our relationships, whether we realize it or not. It could be that the two of you just don't agree on what type of relationship you want.
Cryptic Vigilante
0 likes
Quote by Sabroan

I personally must be subject to heavy hallucinations then.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by SereneProdigy

I personally must be subject to heavy hallucinations then.

Sure they exist online, but in real life there are only two reasons why they might work:
1: You are unattractive
2: She is unattractive
or 3rd and very unlikely, the genjutsu has been cast on you
Cryptic Vigilante
0 likes
Quote by Sabroan

Sure they exist online, but in real life there are only two reasons why they might work:
1: You are unattractive
2: She is unattractive
or 3rd and very unlikely, the genjutsu has been cast on you

...or 4: We're both attractive but can get over it as we both have plenty of other attractive partners in our respective lives to fuck with.
Lurker
0 likes
Maybe you can try to take a break and maybe not talk for a couple of days until things blow over. Then you guys can ease back into talking to each other by talking about lighter subjects before going into deeper topics.

It could also be that your friend is kind of stressed. When that happens to me, I have a shorter temper and tend to take it out on people accidentally. That could be what is happening.

Sorry if this doesn't help.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by SereneProdigy

...or 4: We're both attractive but can get over it as we both have plenty of other attractive partners in our respective lives to fuck with.

That is until someone gets in a relationship.
I don't know I personally can't hangout too much with girls and hangout as I do with my male friends. Can you go for a beer/coffee with her?
Also can you invite her for a coffee at your house and without any intentions of getting laid?
I don't know, I don't believe in male female friendships, there are too many stereotypes that can harm me and her. And I don't want to talk more shit because obviously you got something good. Respect
oh ps biggrin Relatives don't count as friends.
The Bee's Knees
0 likes
i've never understood why some ppl believe that men and women can't be 'just' friends. there's no rule that says you have to fuck every one you're attracted to. anyhoo, this sounds like a toxic relationship to me. if you're constantly hurting each other -despite talking about it, it may be time to end this relationship.

Say. Her. Name.

Gravelly-Voiced Fucker
0 likes
Quote by Sabroan

I will go so far as to agree that male-female friendships usually involve some sort of sexual tension. But it's a pretty minor aspect of a true friendship. Shallow waters.

And it can be left unsaid that neither of you will ever act on it.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
"Thank you" to everyone who posted.

I am aware the brevity of my initial post meant that it would be difficult to comment. Part of the reason is that we met on lush, and he is still a member here; another reason is that we are both private individuals. Each of your post describes an element of our friendship, and we've done most, if not all, of the suggestions, and usually, it leads to a few good weeks, seemingly improving before some silly incident (and sometimes, there's no actual incident too - at least, from what I can tell!!) causes the break-down again.

The purpose of starting this topic was to see if there was a way to improve a friendship, if not this one, then future ones.

Once again, Thank you for your time to provide your opinions.
Gingerbread Lover
0 likes
Quote by asian2013
"Thank you" to everyone who posted.

I am aware the brevity of my initial post meant that it would be difficult to comment. Part of the reason is that we met on lush, and he is still a member here; another reason is that we are both private individuals. Each of your post describes an element of our friendship, and we've done most, if not all, of the suggestions, and usually, it leads to a few good weeks, seemingly improving before some silly incident (and sometimes, there's so actual incident too - at least, from what I can tell!!) causes the break-down again.

The purpose of starting this topic was to see if there was a way to improve a friendship, if not this one, then future ones.

Once again, Thank you for your time to provide your opinions.

In my opinion, good communication is the key for any relationship to sustain itself and/or develop. Without both hearing what the other is saying, as well as being open about your own needs/thoughts/feelings, then a healthy relationship is not only unequal, but also impossible.

If you both met on Lush, perhaps sexual needs were in the forefront of your minds, and it turns out that actually, you don't get on as people, even if a positive sexual tension exists. It's a possibility.

In my relationships with my friends, each of us has character traits that annoy the other, or upset them, etc. However, for the larger part, our "fun" or positive traits far out-weigh the silly, niggly things. We either ignore or simply accept the negatives because the person as a whole is somebody with whom we wish to spend time with. We make each others' lives happier.

However, if you are finding difficulties, I would ask both of you, what is it that leads to arguments and disagreements? If you like each other, are those things so trivial to your friendship that you could find a way to apologise and work together to either avoid them or work to change negative habits/reactions that hurt the other?

Perhaps you have different world views. Maybe one of you is more/less sensitive than the other. Maybe the positive traits cannot out-weigh the negative, and really, you just don't "click". How would each of you like the other to move forward in the areas where you clash? Is what the other would like you to do, something you will consider and attempt?

Who knows? Only you two do. I suggest trying to be honest with each other. If your friendship is important enough, it's worth the turmoil of trying to sort it out, in my opinion. If it cannot be sorted to the point where both of you are equally happy with the state of things more often than not, or built up and made better people because of each other, then it is destructive. That's bad. There is no shame in ending that, in my opinion.

For the record, I don't see why two people can't be friends, regardless of their genitalia. Inherent differences can be a wonderful thing, and are not specifically tied to it always being about sex. My friendships with the opposite sex are stronger than most of my relationships with my own. But I don't fancy most of them; I just love them because they're great people.

Ut incepit fidelis, sic permanet.

********************************CLICK THE BANNERS TO BUY THESE WILLY-STIFFENING BOOKS!********************************
Lurker
0 likes
That topic name tho biggrin
On topic to actually try to help: Sit back and try to remember what were you doing/what was the cause of your quarrel/fight or whatever and what caused it.
Maybe hes just fucked up person, I know few. Most of the time they are cool but there are days, and it's like they are on their period.
It doesn't mean it's your and you are the cause.
The Linebacker
0 likes
Male-female friendship can and does exist in many instances without sex. That goes to depth of character and depth of intelligence. There is no good reason that a man and woman cannot be friends.

If you are a person that thinks or acts in a way that sex has to be interjected into that friendship relationship that is a rather shallow mental condition that is your own making.

I have many female friends and sex is not part of that, nor do I want it to be.

One can be friends and interject sex, as in friends-with-benefits. In those cases I think the relationship can easily change unless you are very guarded to keep that from happening.

But a lover relationship can also be a friend relationship. For instance, I am in love with my wife, in lust with my wife and she is my best friend.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I have a dear friend of the opposite sex. She is young and attractive, extremely intelligent (engineer) we worked together for several years then went our separate ways for career reasons. I call her and she calls me at least every other week just to see how each other is doing. She asks me for advise romantic, professional and personal. We have had many long talks.

There is also a sexual tension between the two of us but I am married so that was a deal breaker for us both. So we stayed friends.

We also had some pretty good fights at the plant (always professional differences). To the point of cussing each other out. Quickly made up each time and went on as though nothing had happend. Why does it work for us?

We both truly care for each other and realize that a momentary loss of temper is not a reflection of either our true feelings or an indication of a breakdown of relationship. It is most often just one or the other letting off steam. A true friend will allow for that. Forgive and embrace the other for all they bring to the relationship everyday. If you are secure in your own skin you can offer that to another person regardless of their gender. I will say however it is much tougher when dealing with someone who is of the gender you happen to be attracted too.

(Stepping off the soapbox)
Good luck and I hope you find peace however it works out.
M
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Sabroan

What a load of twaddle! Sorry you haven't been able to nurture a friendship with a woman. I have a number of male friends who are just that, friends, and no tension of any type. Mutual respect and common interests have given us the opportunity to develop good strong friendships without any sexual interest at all.

Asian, honey, we've chatted a little about this - I still think perhaps you need to step away from the relationship and develop some other friends. Think of it as if you were in a gallery, and one picture drew your attention. Stand too close and you lose sight of the rest of the art around you, and if things are not happening in the way you want it's a good time to step back and look around at the other works for a while. They may not be as attractive, or draw you as much as that one piece, but if it's still there you can glance from time to time, but don't become focused and obsessed at the expense of the rest of your world.

Wanting something to work doesn't always mean it will, and it isn't always easy to recognise when this is the case. Remember you deserve someone who deserves you, which means you respect one another to do as the saying says;

Lurker
0 likes
So much hate :C
To ya'll sayin that those kind of friendships exist, can you go for a beer/coffee with your opposite gender friend?
Can you do random shit with that friend?
And if they are in relationship how does their partner feel about that?
I didn't mean friend as someone who you see occasionally, go to clubs together and shit.
Lurker
0 likes
Interesting...

Most of my closest friends are women. The three people who I'd consider my BEST friends are guys, (two straight, one gay.) I TEND to relate to women better than to men. Flamboyantly eccentric in a lot of ways, I'm frequently not as relaxed around (straight) men, who often assume I'm gay. (Gay men never assume this, of course.)

I would be a LIAR if I said that there wasn't a sexual element to my relationship with my female close friends. (To be clear, I don't believe that element exists with my MALE close friends, on either side, be they gay or straight.)

I think it must be practically IMPOSSIBLE to divorce a sexual ELEMENT from male/female close relationships/friendships. One simply doesn't act upon it, for reasons of circumstance, practicality or indeed (that kind of) compatibility.

Some (TWO!) of my closest female buddies here are EXCLUSIVELY lesbian and yet we often CASUALLY flirt... I'm not REMOTELY interested in either of them SEXUALLY, nor they me, yet we JOKE AROUND about it... Conversely, I have straight women friends here who do EXACTLY the same thing. (With OTHER women I've met here there has, both in cyber and real-life been a more physical connection.) All remain friends to this day, although that element has become passe.

As a MAN, I can walk down a city street and YES one considers female passers-by from a sexual perspective. But it's a FLEETING thought. It doesn't mean anything, indeed, I think that's perfectly natural. (I don't KNOW if women do this but I'd be most surprised if they did not...)

What I have found is that it is EXTREMELY difficult to maintain a FRIEND connection with a woman after a SEXUAL connection has been established/acted upon and then terminated. (Not IMPOSSIBLE, just difficult...) There will always be regrets on one side or the other.

For MANY years now I have been QUITE IN LOVE with a married girlfriend of my acquaintance who regularly takes lovers. (None of them me!!!) It causes problems with us upon occasion. We date, do dinners and shows/concerts, sometimes just us, sometimes with other friends. We both understand that to sleep with each other might possibly (probably) damage the close relationship we have however, so we don't. SHE I think could handle it. (I, frankly, probably could not...) That said, our mutual SEXUAL attraction is PART of our friendship. (But not all of it.) To clarify, she has often been LESS THAN FRIENDLY to other girls she knows I'm sleeping with. I am NEVER IMPRESSED when she flirts with other men when in my company. (It's COMPLICATED!) But, honestly, as friends we adore each other.

I think that in ANY KIND OF CLOSE FRIENDSHIP, it is HONESTY, UNDERSTANDING AND TRUST that most matters. (If you're friends with me FORGIVENESS is necessary!) As in ALL HUMAN RELATIONSHIPS there will be trouble, acrimony, misunderstandings, FIGHTS and thoughtlessness... A TRUE FRIENDSHIP will (eventually) rise above these things.

An often DEEPLY TROUBLED SOUL, I sometimes CONSIDER the people who I KNOW consider me a true friend. And I think, "Well, I can't be THAT FUCKING BAD!!!" (I have NO IDEA if anyone ever thinks of ME like that!!!)

xx SF
Lurker
0 likes
Being in the 'book' business, I come across people everyday. Many acquaintances that frequent it also. I do not pick my friends or they me, it just comes together, as if pieces of a puzzle. My closet of friends or "The A Team." they are the inner circle. We are like 'brush and paste' as one. I trust them with all truths and faults. The "B Team" assembled as I progressed in my 'assuming' years. I just assumed that they wanted to know me better. I don't do "assume" with a kind heart.
Gingerbread Lover
0 likes
Quote by Sabroan
To ya'll sayin that those kind of friendships exist, can you go for a beer/coffee with your opposite gender friend?
I didn't mean friend as someone who you see occasionally, go to clubs together and shit.

Yes, when I'm well enough, I regularly go fishing with my friends (most of whom are male). And we meet up for drinks, walks and barbeques. It's just what friends do.

Those male friends who have partners are fine with us going out doing stuff. Not everything is tinted with sex tones for everyone. It's just people doing friendly people stuff together.

Perhaps all your female friends are either so attractive that it's impossible not to see them with a sexual slant, or you've not been lucky enough to meet people who share more in common with you yet, that just happen to not ring your bell?

********************************CLICK THE BANNERS TO BUY THESE WILLY-STIFFENING BOOKS!********************************
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Sabroan

Yes, I can, I have, and will continue such friendships...
I grew up with mostly male cousins, and a brother... so I felt more comfortable being friends with them.
Then being in the Military... yeah... drinking, clubbing... hanging out... of course...
I would give my life for most of them... as I know they would for me... it is a brotherhood that very seldom is understood...
would I want to sleep with them... NO ... we are FRIENDS and FRIENDS only...
Bonnet Flaunter
0 likes
Quote by Shylass

Yes, when I'm well enough, I regularly go fishing with my friends (most of whom are male). And we meet up for drinks, walks and barbeques. It's just what friends do.

Those male friends who have partners are fine with us going out doing stuff. Not everything is tinted with sex tones for everyone. It's just people doing friendly people stuff together.

Perhaps all your female friends are either so attractive that it's impossible not to see them with a sexual slant, or you've not been lucky enough to meet people who share more in common with you yet, that just happen to not ring your bell?

I know this is not answering the original poster (sorry) but what Daisy wrote just said it for me. I have several close male friends, and am friendly with their wives/partners too. Its about shared interests, same sense of humour and just doing stuff as a social group I find my male friends especially steady and reliable socially, which is always a blessing.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Shylass

oh many times actually, but there are things that ruin it. First- Relationship, when either one of us gets in a relationship partner gets jealous and you have to stop hanging with them start ignoring them and taht sucks.
Rumors that can hurt both, we are walking, going for a coffee and people start talking shit like they are dating and that is usually very bad.
I don't know in my friend circles or my town actually, when a guy is walking with a girl or gone for coffee, people think they are either fucking or dating. No third option

@a_chica
That's all cool but they are more like family than friends? You don't fuck your relatives.

Co-workers neighbors don't count. You don't want to fuck someone you see on daily basis because things can get very awkward if someone fucks up.

BRING IT!
Gingerbread Lover
0 likes
Quote by Sabroan

oh many times actually, but there are things that ruin it. First- Relationship, when either one of us gets in a relationship partner gets jealous and you have to stop hanging with them start ignoring them and taht sucks.
Rumors that can hurt both, we are walking, going for a coffee and people start talking shit like they are dating and that is usually very bad.
I don't know in my friend circles or my town actually, when a guy is walking with a girl or gone for coffee, people think they are either fucking or dating. No third option

@a_chica
That's all cool but they are more like family than friends? You don't fuck your relatives.

Co-workers neighbors don't count. You don't want to fuck someone you see on daily basis because things can get very awkward if someone fucks up.

BRING IT!

In my own experience, I have had friends who, when in a new relationship, or who get married, do spend more time with their partner/spouse. That's normal and natural, and sadly for us, as it should be. However, the ones who ignore you that you never see unless by accident? They weren't real friends to begin with. My real friends make the effort to meet up. That's both sexes.

I know those stupid rumours. It comes from small-minded idiots with no life of their own, and nothing better to do. As long as the pertinent people have no issue, then it's no issue. It does sound like you come from a fairly small town, where such rumours are rife, sadly.

I can only hope that one day, you will be in a place to enjoy friendships with more people where their sex and gender is not an issue at all. Because it's possible, honestly. Good luck!

Lurker
0 likes
What if your partner don't want you hanging out with them at all? What do you do? Break up? And you love him.
You certainly don't go and talk with your friends because you look stupid and your partner looks like some controlling [Edited by moderators: hateful terms aren't tolerated here. Please watch your language.]. So you just slowly push them away.
And yes It's pretty small town, like 300k residents
But It's not like I cant have that I simply don't want to waste my time.
What if I fall in love with her? You know that shit can happen just by spending time with her, you found out that she is fucking amazing person and you fall in love, then you are screwed.

I do have few girl friends but it's mostly about hooking up. And when either one of us gets in a relationship, it's over. And we know it.
Gingerbread Lover
0 likes
Quote by Sabroan
What if your partner don't want you hanging out with them at all? What do you do? Break up? And you love him.
You certainly don't go and talk with your friends because you look stupid and your partner looks like some ****. So you just slowly push them away.
And yes It's pretty small town, like 300k residents
But It's not like I cant have that I simply don't want to waste my time.
What if I fall in love with her? You know that shit can happen just by spending time with her, you found out that she is fucking amazing person and you fall in love, then you are screwed.

I do have few girl friends but it's mostly about hooking up. And when either one of us gets in a relationship, it's over. And we know it.

As we all know, nothing is black and white (dammit). There are always grey areas and individual situations thrown into the bargain.

The happiest relationships I know of belong to partners who both spend time with their loved one, and allow time for the other to mix with other friends, either all together in a big group, or in their respective groups.

If your partner doesn't want you hanging out with them, then that is something that should be talked about, in my opinion. Is it a trust thing? A fear of others' opinions on a private matter?

Good friends understand when there are issues with a friend's relationship. I've had to step aside a couple of times, and painful as it was, that's okay. It's not for anybody else to stand in somebody's way if they really want something that's healthy and right for them. I certainly didn't find the objecting partners controlling in those cases, simply insecure and needy. Those who just slid away, well, that's part of life. It happens for many reasons, not just a new relationship.

If you DO fall in love with a good friend, well, shit happens. I had very, very deep feelings for somebody, and when they got a partner, I just enjoyed the little time I had with them, even though I knew I hadn't a hope in Hell's chance. Some friendship is better than no friendship, in my opinion, and I have to respect those boundaries. Some people call me a walkover, but it's only what I would expect of my own friends if it happened to me.

If it works for you to protect yourself, then that's okay. It sucks that you've not been as fortunate as some of us here. Perhaps one day you will be, but until then, I would just suggest that you enjoy what friendships you do have, as I'm sure you do. But it doesn't follow that relationships you haven't had (purely platonic opposite-sex ones), don't happen for others. They just haven't for you (yet).

Lurker
0 likes
eh I got bored, you and I have different perspective on reality and that's fine.
We could go on for days like this really, but I don't want to waste my time on this and tbh it's kinda annoying.
oh and ps. I could have those friendships it's just I don't want them.
We have different opinion on what friendship means I guess.
But if there is sexual tension, or pretension then it's not friendship. It's just someone you know. If you ever dream/think about having sex with your friend well that's fucked up.
oh and one more thing: I don't let my gfs hang out with their male friends because I know what I want with girls. It's not a trust issue, she wouldn't be my GF if I worry constantly if shes gonna cheat on me.
But shit happens, guys want to get in your panties, girls want something else and guys tend to abuse that.
Im done.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
It would appear as though a spin-off series would be required for this post, huh? Enough of the "random shits", dont you think?

Its safe to say that male-female friendships can and do exist. Is there a sexual element to it? Often times, probably so but it doesnt mean it cant be kept in check. However, that was not the question of this thread.

For those inclined on the original purpose of this thread, yes, we met on lush, but sex was not foremost... in fact, it was a while after the connection was built before it was introduced into our conversations and its actually a good part of our friendship.

A few of you have made comments that are relevant. Trust me when I say we'd covered most, if not all, of that during our talks. So maybe, there is nothing more we can add to it.
Gingerbread Lover
0 likes
Quote by Sabroan
eh I got bored, you and I have different perspective on reality and that's fine.
We could go on for days like this really, but I don't want to waste my time on this and tbh it's kinda annoying.
oh and ps. I could have those friendships it's just I don't want them.
We have different opinion on what friendship means I guess.
But if there is sexual tension, or pretension then it's not friendship. It's just someone you know. If you ever dream/think about having sex with your friend well that's fucked up.
oh and one more thing: I don't let my gfs hang out with their male friends because I know what I want with girls. It's not a trust issue, she wouldn't be my GF if I worry constantly if shes gonna cheat on me.
But shit happens, guys want to get in your panties, girls want something else and guys tend to abuse that.
Im done.

I did wonder how long you'd go for.

Good luck, asian2013!