Censored Words

last reply
38 replies
4.1k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Sarcastic Coffee Aficionado
0 likes
Could we get a listing of words that are unacceptable for publishing on Lush?

I have been told that the following words are not acceptable and the story will be returned for these particular words to be corrected.

nigger
faggot
dyke

(I am sure, in some rare occassions, that these words would work as long as they are not referencing a hate-filled comment ..... such as .... John looked lovingly at his husband and said, "god, I love you faggot" ....

Thanks a whole bunch!

Van
Wild at Heart
0 likes
You can't use beaner, **removed by moderator** (lol that one must've been really bad), donkey dick or retard either.
0 likes
Quote by Magical_felix
You can't use beaner, **removed by moderator** (lol that one must've been really bad), donkey dick or retard either.

Duly noted, Jack.

So, I did a search in the stories search on the front page for "faggot" .... it returned 65 stories.

I chose one Arthur where it has "fucking faggot" in it.

So .... is faggot really a censored word?

Dyke came up with 52 stories. I chose a poem Kandi-Girl wherein the last line says: "Darling techno dyke!"

So .... I'm thinking dyke isn't really a censored word.

Nigger resulted in 6 stories ....

Anyways, I think it's important for all writers/authors to know what is not allowed in our attempt to have our stories published here.

Thanks again!

Van
Wild at Heart
0 likes
Quote by VanGogh

Duly noted, Jack.

So, I did a search in the stories search on the front page for "faggot" .... it returned 65 stories.

Dyke came up with 52 stories. I chose a poem Kandi-Girl wherein the last line says: "Darling techno dyke!"

Anyways, I think it's important for all writers/authors to know what is not allowed in our attempt to have our stories published here.

Thanks again!

Van

Probably depends on the story verifier. I got a story rejected for using "nigga" with an A once yet there are stories with "nigger" in them.

Could be those stories you found are older. Could have been more lax at the beginning.
Madam Carol
0 likes
I think it is hard to avoid using words that are offensive to some while in contex to the story. If I was writing a historical story about the civil rights movement of the sixties, it would be hard to avoid. Racial slurs when directed at individuals should not be used. Ever!

A guy that started washing my windshield without permission and then asking for five bucks got offended when I told him to leave me alone. He started cursing me out. He said, "Go fuck yew self, yew mother fuckin cracker cunt!"

I replied, "Don't call me a cracker!"
0 likes
Quote by Magical_felix

Probably depends on the story verifier. I got a story rejected for using "nigga" with an A once yet there are stories with "nigger" in them.

Could be those stories you found are older. Could have been more lax at the beginning.

This mostly.

Standards have changed over time as the mods have made rulings on various stories and questions. If they are older stories that were verified before mods ruled on these words and no one complains, they stay. When we make a mod ruling about a word or grammar issue, the mod team generally do not do a retro to fix all existing stories (category or topic removal being the exception to that that I have seen), just apply that ruling going forward.

There may have been a few slips, too. Not everyone registers a given word as "bad". Certainly, the use of "faggot" in the context given by VanGogh (gay men adopting/co-opting it as a term of endearment) might register as kosher for some.
0 likes
I am gathering that these three words are ok if it's used in some "contextual" manner.

Who can share the definitive censored words list? I assume those three words are not the only words that are suspect/ censored.

Thanks.

Van
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
After searching for stories with one of the offending words, I found 52 stories. One was written by a mod and is listed as an "Editor's Pick" and another story is a "Recommended Read".

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. Socrates
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by Magical_felix

this, i'm guessing - also, if it's just one instance, it's entirely possible that they were simply missed - when you're trying to get thru a lot of stories and something is well written, you start to skim a bit an it's easy to miss something. we're not perfect, tho we try to be.

words that i have told my mods not to let pass as it now stands:

the N word, and variations.
the F word (as bad as the N word, imo, not matter how it's used)
dyke i'll get go as long as it's not used in a hateful way - if i get feedback otherwise, i'll add it. same with "tranny".
" " - if you put " " in a story, not only will it get struck down, i'm probably going to send the story back with a stern warning.

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Lurker
0 likes
Quote by VanGogh
Could we get a listing of words that are unacceptable for publishing on Lush?

I'd like to see that list of prohibited words or phrases smile
Internet Philosopher
0 likes
Quote by lafayettemister
After searching for stories with one of the offending words, I found 52 stories. One was written by a mod and is listed as an "Editor's Pick" and another story is a "Recommended Read".

In the EP story you referance, the individual in question was calling themself the offending word, a vastly different situation than using it as hate speech. In the Recommended Read, the story is a 19k word behemoth that was written in 2012. Even though it is now a 149 vote, solid 5 story, it wouldn't pass today. That doesn't mean we are going to kick it back three years after the fact.

We have 30 thousand plus stories on the site. With thousands more having been deleted or rejected over the years. Seriously, we are likely talking about over 100,000 stories that have been moderated, so I'm not going to worry overly much about the couple dozen that got through. We do very well for an all volunteer group.
0 likes
Quote by Milik_the_Red
In the EP story you referance, the individual in question was calling themself the offending word, a vastly different situation than using it as hate speech. In the Recommended Read, the story is a 19k word behemoth that was written in 2012. Even though it is now a 149 vote, solid 5 story, it wouldn't pass today. That doesn't mean we are going to kick it back three years after the fact.

We have 30 thousand plus stories on the site. With thousands more having been deleted or rejected over the years. Seriously, we are likely talking about over 100,000 stories that have been moderated, so I'm not going to worry overly much about the couple dozen that got through. We do very well for an all volunteer group.

Thank you very much for the scolding. I am pretty sure no one here is asking "remove those offending stories that are likely famous for having the words nigga/faggot/dyke [or variations thereof]" because that is ridiculous. [Although, many authors lost their famous "incest" stories because they were removed. I wonder how that is soo different?] Also, no one is slamming or saying that the awesome volunteer group of story verifiers are doing a shitty job. From a former mod, I know how diligent many of the mods are, often looking at Lush as their/our baby.

Anyways .... onward ....

In light of the newest comp, I think it is very important to "note" what is unacceptable.

So far we have:

Faggot (does that include fairy, fag?) What other variations are there of this word? Is fuckboi similarly looked at as faggot?? I don't know and that's why I'm asking.

Nigger and nigga (are there variations of that??)

Tranny

Dyke isn't offensive, apparently .... so it's just the three words???

What alternative words for these ARE acceptable??

This new comp could be very touchy with regards to unacceptable "stereotypical" word usage .... as many people, not just authors, could be still be exploring and coming to acceptance about things different than what they know.

Thanks a whole bunch for clarifying this "touchy" subject.

Van
Internet Philosopher
0 likes
Quote by VanGogh

Thank you very much for the scolding. I am pretty sure no one here is asking "remove those offending stories that are likely famous for having the words nigga/faggot/dyke [or variations thereof]" because that is ridiculous. [Although, many authors lost their famous "incest" stories because they were removed. I wonder how that is soo different?] Also, no one is slamming or saying that the awesome volunteer group of story verifiers are doing a shitty job. From a former mod, I know how diligent many of the mods are, often looking at Lush as their/our baby.

Anyways .... onward ....

In light of the newest comp, I think it is very important to "note" what is unacceptable.

So far we have:

Faggot (does that include fairy, fag?) What other variations are there of this word? Is fuckboi similarly looked at as faggot?? I don't know and that's why I'm asking.

Nigger and nigga (are there variations of that??)

Tranny

Dyke isn't offensive, apparently .... so it's just the three words???

What alternative words for these ARE acceptable??

This new comp could be very touchy with regards to unacceptable "stereotypical" word usage .... as many people, not just authors, could be still be exploring and coming to acceptance about things different than what they know.

Thanks a whole bunch for clarifying this "touchy" subject.

Van

I wasn't scolding anyone, let alone quoting you at all. I was giving perspective to a post meant to give the impression we are either inattentive or inconsistant. Thank you for noticing my post, but let's not confuse what my post was about.
0 likes
Quote by Milik_the_Red
I wasn't scolding anyone, let alone quoting you at all. I was giving perspective to a post meant to give the impression we are either inattentive or inconsistant. Thank you for noticing my post, but let's not confuse what my post was about.

I see. No scolding. But you perceive that someone is saying that the mods are inattentive or inconsistant. I don't see it that way. Perhaps you are being overly sensitive?

Because Lush is a living evolving site, rules change and we must change with those rules. (ie - incest)

The question and statement was very simple ..... a definitive list of the censored/unacceptable words would be greatly appreciated.

At this point, I don't even want to know the reason or even why said word is censored.

And for the record, I was considering entering the contest - but after hearing from another author about a censored word, it made me realize, I might too cross that "not appropriate use of a word or words". Do I want (or even care) to spend my time writing a story that will be rejected which could be rectified by a list of no-no/censored words??

sigh ............ This information would be helpful to the veteran authors and the newer Lush authors who are not mods and are unaware of those words. (this includes me!)

Thanks a bunch again.

Van
Lurker
0 likes
I posted a pic, that contained word 'faggot' in a chat-room and a good little someone messaged me that i must check lush rules. That done, I found this:

"Due to the closed environment and temporary nature of the chat rooms, you are allowed to post adult images that do not break US Law as long as other participants of the room do not find the images offensive."

Now could someone please brief me regarding the US Law regarding name calling as such.MDOjzUgSRlbzmT3k

Thank you
Shaaz.
Internet Philosopher
0 likes
Quote by VanGogh

I see. No scolding. But you perceive that someone is saying that the mods are inattentive or inconsistant. I don't see it that way. Perhaps you are being overly sensitive?

Because Lush is a living evolving site, rules change and we must change with those rules. (ie - incest)

The question and statement was very simple ..... a definitive list of the censored/unacceptable words would be greatly appreciated.

At this point, I don't even want to know the reason or even why said word is censored.

And for the record, I was considering entering the contest - but after hearing from another author about a censored word, it made me realize, I might too cross that "not appropriate use of a word or words". Do I want (or even care) to spend my time writing a story that will be rejected which could be rectified by a list of no-no/censored words??

sigh ............ This information would be helpful to the veteran authors and the newer Lush authors who are not mods and are unaware of those words. (this includes me!)

Thanks a bunch again.

Van

Interesting that you accuse me of being overly sensitive, considering you are taking me to task despite the fact I haven't said anything to you.

Since you do seem to want to discuss it though, the post I replied too made a specific statement that this word, faggot, the very word that got his story rejected and was likely the genesis of this thread, was passed for a mods story, then awarded an EP, and another was given an RR by a mod. It is very reasonable to believe his point was that the mods were being inconsistent or unfair. Else, why make that point? I merely took equal time to explain why. Surly any discussion should be allowed to have differing points debated? Or, would you rather anyone who disagrees remain silent?

It seems to me that You are being unnecessarily aggressive in your responses to me, especially considering I haven't commented or disagreed with anything you posted before you decided to quote me. You don't need to be defensive, and your willingness to be will only derail your own thread.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by HotWife4U
I think it is hard to avoid using words that are offensive to some while in contex to the story. If I was writing a historical story about the civil rights movement of the sixties, it would be hard to avoid. Racial slurs when directed at individuals should not be used. Ever!

I once thought about writing a historical story about the wife of a white plantation owner falling for one of the male slaves set back just prior to the Civil War. I told a Mod friend about it and my story idea and on their advice I backed away from that story. You have to be VERY careful when approaching some story ideas. They may sound good in your head but can offend others even when no offense was intended.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by sprite

words that i have told my mods not to let pass as it now stands:

the N word, and variations.
the F word (as bad as the N word, imo, not matter how it's used)
dyke i'll get go as long as it's not used in a hateful way - if i get feedback otherwise, i'll add it. same with "tranny".
" " - if you put " " in a story, not only will it get struck down, i'm probably going to send the story back with a stern warning.

Quote by Milik_the_Red

Okay, so is the word offensive no matter how it's used? Or is the word not offensive or hate speech depending how the context of it's use?

We aren't talking about 100,000's of stories. A quick and easy search of a couple of those words turns up 50-60 stories. In fact, if the word is offensive no matter what, then you don't even have to read the story. Search for stories with the word, then delete them. Hate speech is hate speech and they should be purged. For that few stories, it shouldn't take very long at all.

Writing should be provocative, it should push the envelope whenever the author wishes to do so. Censorship only stifles creativity and stifles the growth of the writer and the reader. I'm not a very good writer. Hell, I'm not even a mediocre writer, which is why I rarely write. But, I've read worse. Banning words does more harm than good. It insulates us from experiencing the good and bad in people, as expressed through characters in a story. Be it erotica or anything else.

I understand that Lush has banned certain words. I've accepted that there is a ban and there's nothing I can do about it. As such, I will remain in the shadows and enjoy using Lush to keep up with my friends here.

Scarlet Seductress
0 likes
The below is my personal opinion on the matter.

I do not like to see stories that contain hateful, abusive, or insulting language which targets people on account of skin colour, race, disability, nationality, ethnic origin, religion, or sexual orientation. If you can't say it in real life without being arrested for a hate crime, why should Lushstories allow you to publish it in a story? This website is for the publication of erotica. Concentrate on the sex.

Tl;dr - Don't be fucking offensive.
Blackbird Supernova
0 likes
Quote by Jonathans_Fantasies

I once thought about writing a historical story about the wife of a white plantation owner falling for one of the male slaves set back just prior to the Civil War. I told a Mod friend about it and my story idea and on their advice I backed away from that story. You have to be VERY careful when approaching some story ideas. They may sound good in your head but can offend others even when no offense was intended.

That right there is why we don't allow certain words or situations.

We want Lush to be a fun playground for everyone. We try to cater to as many sexual, sensual and romantic inclinations as we can, without offending anyone in the process. Hate speech, as well as unsavory situations are not allowed. We do try our best to be fair, to be consistent. If you should spot something that was missed, please let us know. We are only human.
Internet Philosopher
0 likes
Quote by lafayettemister

Okay, so is the word offensive no matter how it's used? Or is the word not offensive or hate speech depending how the context of it's use?

We aren't talking about 100,000's of stories. A quick and easy search of a couple of those words turns up 50-60 stories. In fact, if the word is offensive no matter what, then you don't even have to read the story. Search for stories with the word, then delete them. Hate speech is hate speech and they should be purged. For that few stories, it shouldn't take very long at all.

Writing should be provocative, it should push the envelope whenever the author wishes to do so. Censorship only stifles creativity and stifles the growth of the writer and the reader. I'm not a very good writer. Hell, I'm not even a mediocre writer, which is why I rarely write. But, I've read worse. Banning words does more harm than good. It insulates us from experiencing the good and bad in people, as expressed through characters in a story. Be it erotica or anything else.

I understand that Lush has banned certain words. I've accepted that there is a ban and there's nothing I can do about it. As such, I will remain in the shadows and enjoy using Lush to keep up with my friends here.

First, let me thank you for the reasoned and thought out response without hyperbolie.

As I mentioned to you when we first spoke, these rules cover a lot of grey area. When I run into them, I do what I did with yours. I take it to the team for a discussion about the word in question, and the context that it is used. In your case, it was used as a slur against the main character. As such, the grey area was removed and it was clearly in violation of our rules.

As to those 50-60 stories out of the thousands here, I have little desire to go back and be the time cop on our older stories. If someone finds one to be offensive, they can file a complaint and we will look at it and try to contact the author. Otherwise, we aren't going to be proactive.

If, as does happen with new stories, a word or other content is passed that should not have, we as mods will be proactive. I recieved a complaint last week regarding copywrited material, and we edited it out on the spot. Then we contacted the author and explained why the action was taken.

Small edits to correct such mistakes are performed behind the scenes when we determine the mistake was innocent. If it was gross negligence on our part, or something heinous in the story, stronger steps are taken.

Is the process perfect? No. It will likely never be. We process too many stories everyday, and the rules have changed too much over time for it to be. Personally, as a writer, I dislike censorship as well. My instincts would be to allow much more latitude. On the other hand, I have seen where this leads. The unmoderated work we sort through will sometimes contain content that has sickened me. I wouldn't want to be part of a site that allowed the things I've seen submitted.

With that in mind, there is going to be censorship. So, the only question is, where is the line drawn. At hate speech, or somewhere else. Irregardless, someone is going to complain it's wrong. In their minds, it's their story that should be okay. Well, we can't win against that mind set. Someone will always be pushing and screaming censorship.

The rules are the rules. It simply comes down to that.
0 likes
thank you all for your contributions to this query.

What I am taking from this conversation is that .... if the word is said without hate, it's ok.

example:

Henry looks at John with a big smile and exclaims, "holy shit, buddy, you're a faggot!"

or if someone is writing about their sexual conflict such as: I thought to myself I was a normal straight chick with a little pussy twist, a lipstick dyke coming out of the straight closet. Such relief. I AM a lipstick dyke and ready to explore!

The real issue isn't the "word" .... it's the hate behind the word when it is expressed in a story.

And, if the story verifier deems it to be non-hateful, it's a go.

perhaps this is exactly why "REVENGE" was not an approved story topic with the underlying subliminale "hate" aspect.

again, thanks for your patience and all the words trying to explain this to me (and I am sure others).

best regards,

Van
Blackbird Supernova
0 likes
Quote by VanGogh
thank you all for your contributions to this query.

What I am taking from this conversation is that .... if the word is said without hate, it's ok.

example:

Henry looks at John with a big smile and exclaims, "holy shit, buddy, you're a faggot!"

or if someone is writing about their sexual conflict such as: I thought to myself I was a normal straight chick with a little pussy twist, a lipstick dyke coming out of the straight closet. Such relief. I AM a lipstick dyke and ready to explore!

The real issue isn't the "word" .... it's the hate behind the word when it is expressed in a story.

And, if the story verifier deems it to be non-hateful, it's a go.

perhaps this is exactly why "REVENGE" was not an approved story topic with the underlying subliminale "hate" aspect.

again, thanks for your patience and all the words trying to explain this to me (and I am sure others).

best regards,

Van

No, and let me explain very quickly why.

The reader's perception takes precedence over the writer's intent. Every time. That word has a negative, derogatory connotation. I would never (and really do mean the absolute never) pass a story with that word anywhere in it, because the hate it implies has no place here. You may not mean for it to be hateful, but that doesn't matter to someone who's had a horrible experience around that word. See what I mean?
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Milik_the_Red

First, let me thank you for the reasoned and thought out response without hyperbolie.

As I mentioned to you when we first spoke, these rules cover a lot of grey area. When I run into them, I do what I did with yours. I take it to the team for a discussion about the word in question, and the context that it is used. In your case, it was used as a slur against the main character. As such, the grey area was removed and it was clearly in violation of our rules.

As to those 50-60 stories out of the thousands here, I have little desire to go back and be the time cop on our older stories. If someone finds one to be offensive, they can file a complaint and we will look at it and try to contact the author. Otherwise, we aren't going to be proactive.

If, as does happen with new stories, a word or other content is passed that should not have, we as mods will be proactive. I recieved a complaint last week regarding copywrited material, and we edited it out on the spot. Then we contacted the author and explained why the action was taken.

Small edits to correct such mistakes are performed behind the scenes when we determine the mistake was innocent. If it was gross negligence on our part, or something heinous in the story, stronger steps are taken.

Is the process perfect? No. It will likely never be. We process too many stories everyday, and the rules have changed too much over time for it to be. Personally, as a writer, I dislike censorship as well. My instincts would be to allow much more latitude. On the other hand, I have seen where this leads. The unmoderated work we sort through will sometimes contain content that has sickened me. I wouldn't want to be part of a site that allowed the things I've seen submitted.

With that in mind, there is going to be censorship. So, the only question is, where is the line drawn. At hate speech, or somewhere else. Irregardless, someone is going to complain it's wrong. In their minds, it's their story that should be okay. Well, we can't win against that mind set. Someone will always be pushing and screaming censorship.

The rules are the rules. It simply comes down to that.

I understand they are the rules, that's just the way it is. My only recourse is to not participate in that portion of the site. I would like to add one thing though. I'm not against it because it's my story, I'd be against it for any story. And yes, my use of the word was ugly intentionally. Used to illustrate the bigotry of the villain of the story. Certainly not used to condone or promote that line of thinking.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by RavenStar

No, and let me explain very quickly why.

The reader's perception takes precedence over the writer's intent. Every time. That word has a negative, derogatory connotation. I would never (and really do mean the absolute never) pass a story with that word anywhere in it, because the hate it implies has no place here. You may not mean for it to be hateful, but that doesn't matter to someone who's had a horrible experience around that word. See what I mean?

This is something I can't quite agree with. It would be impossible to write anything from the point of view of readers' perception. Every reader's perception is different. Take for example a woman from an abusive relationship. I'd venture to guess that during some of that physical abuse, there was also verbal and psychological abuse with words like bitch, cunt, and whore. To THAT woman, those words are hateful. Her perception and experience with those words is horrible. Should we ban the use of those words too? Where does it end if we limit word usage based on the experiences of everyone? I know that most of the women in my life would object a whole lot more to being called a whore vs being called a dyke. They'd also react a lot more to being called a bitch. Most husbands will tell you, you call your wife a bitch and you can expect world war III to commence. Those women's perception of will vary from that of a lesbian who has been derogatively called a dyke.

Does bitch or whore have less derogatory connotations that dyke? I guess it would depend on who you asked. What about bastard? Redneck? Hillbilly? How negative is too negative?

Blackbird Supernova
0 likes
Quote by lafayettemister

This is something I can't quite agree with. It would be impossible to write anything from the point of view of readers' perception. Every reader's perception is different. Take for example a woman from an abusive relationship. I'd venture to guess that during some of that physical abuse, there was also verbal and psychological abuse with words like bitch, cunt, and whore. To THAT woman, those words are hateful. Her perception and experience with those words is horrible. Should we ban the use of those words too? Where does it end if we limit word usage based on the experiences of everyone? I know that most of the women in my life would object a whole lot more to being called a whore vs being called a dyke. They'd also react a lot more to being called a bitch. Most husbands will tell you, you call your wife a bitch and you can expect world war III to commence. Those women's perception of will vary from that of a lesbian who has been derogatively called a dyke.

Does bitch or whore have less derogatory connotations that dyke? I guess it would depend on who you asked. What about bastard? Redneck? Hillbilly? How negative is too negative?

I don't disagree with you, but not all words are made equal. 'Faggot' will never make the cut for me. Neither will 'nigger', 'kyke', 'wap' or any other word with clear attachments to hate speech.
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Lush is a community made up of people from all over the world, of different cultures, genders, sexual orientations, colors, religions, etc - we work very had to make it a community. because of the nature of the internet, it's a global community. here's the thing...

those words are vile. can they be used in non vile ways? yes, but if that is at the expense of alienating members here, then i would prefer not to. censorship? not really - there are plenty of more creative ways to get the point across without using those particular words, if there's a point to be made - be creative. have those words been missed on occasion? obviously so, but that's not an invitation to see if you can sneak them by. am i going to go back and delete every story with an instance of them in? nope, but i do plan on doing a search myself, when i have time, and re-evaluate those stories with instances of their use.

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by HotWife4U
I think it is hard to avoid using words that are offensive to some while in contex to the story. If I was writing a historical story about the civil rights movement of the sixties, it would be hard to avoid.

not really... reader are perfectly adept at filling in the blanks when you write something like this:

I watched pair of men in white hoods push a black man against the wall whilst calling him hateful names.

pretty sure most everyone can figure out what those names were without me spelling them out.

Madam Carol
0 likes
Quote by sprite

not really... reader are perfectly adept at filling in the blanks when you write something like this:

I watched pair of men in white hoods push a black man against the wall whilst calling him hateful names.

pretty sure most everyone can figure out what those names were without me spelling them out.

Very true. No argument here. I don't use offensive words anyway. I've always believed if you can't make your point without insulting someone then keep your mouth shut.

Btw. I like the variations in English. You say "whilst" and I say "while." I agree about this being and international site. It's really great being able to communicate with people from so many different cultures.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by VanGogh

Duly noted, Jack.

Thanks again!

Van

its gotten more than one of my stories rejected, as has 'queer.'