last reply
34 replies
2.7k views
1 watcher
0 likes
Code Monkey
0 likes
hi everyone

i've replaced the antiquated submission box on our story page with a more modern plugin. this has mainly been driven by the persuasive buz who has used his charm to convince me to implement this change.

so, please document below any issues you encounter. please remember to include your OS (operating system) and browser to help me replicate and resolve these issues.

Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by kiera
So if anything goes wrong it's all Buz's fault, right??

Hi Gav

actually, it's yours.

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Lurker
0 likes
What was wrong with the old "wind-up" submission box?
Scarlet Seductress
0 likes
Quote by gav
so, please document below any issues you encounter. please remember to include your OS (operating system) and browser to help me replicate and resolve these issues.

I've got one for you. (Running Firefox 50 on macOS Sierra 10.12.1)

If you maximise the main story field, a feature I think is fantastic, the top of the gray toolbar hides behind the Lush red header and you cannot see the top row of buttons including the one to minimise it back down.
The Linebacker
0 likes
The maximize feature is too much for me but I do really like the ability to alter the depth of text edit box. I kind of miss the old larger serif font but I can adjust.

I just verified two stories and didn't see any line spacing issue. If I do come across that I'll let you know ASAP, Gav. But this may have eliminated that issue.

It worked well for me.

Gav is the man! If there is an issue he'll solve it.
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
we have an issue with the last 4 stories posted - they were fine up until posting, then the formatting disappeared and they became blocks of text.

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

0 likes
Hi, I've just verified a story and now it's posted, the formatting has disappeared. The top four stories on the front page all have the same problem.
Edit - Sprite beat me to it
The Linebacker
0 likes
Two of mine. The paragraphing disappeared upon verification. No way to see where the spaces were. I'll alert Gav.

The spacing looked fine in edit and the final until I clicked verify. Then all spacing was gone.
The Linebacker
0 likes
We are working on the paragraph break issue and will be getting that fixed very shortly.

Thanks
"insensitive prick!" – Danielle Algo
0 likes
Few minor usability issues:

Lush only accepts stories in English, so from a usability perspective it would be nice to have all other language options removed from the spell checker feature. Not sure how easy that is in CKEditor though.

A personal pet peeve of mine: please remove the underline option. Online, the underlining of text is still associated with links. Using it for different purposes should be discouraged. For emphasis there's I and for strong emphasis there's B.

Maybe add an option for sub headers. I'm sure people will now use bold text for that, but we have these wonderful headers in HTML that are made for this purpose and will hold the correct semantics for assistive technologies.

I hope strikethrough is never really used in stories. Or is that option only there to be used in the redacting process between mods and author?

===  Not ALL LIVES MATTER until BLACK LIVES MATTER  ===

0 likes
Now I am intrigued. I'll check it out later today. I think I have one ready for submission anyway.
0 likes
Quote by Buz
We are working on the paragraph break issue and will be getting that fixed very shortly.

Thanks

What's the status on this (Buz or anyone in the know)? I just copied over a submission and there are blank lines between paragraphs in the editor but not on the preview. Do I need to add an extra paragraph break or will it be okay once verified and posted? I've saved it as a draft so can submit as soon as I get an answer.
The Linebacker
0 likes
Quote by seeker4

What's the status on this (Buz or anyone in the know)? I just copied over a submission and there are blank lines between paragraphs in the editor but not on the preview. Do I need to add an extra paragraph break or will it be okay once verified and posted? I've saved it as a draft so can submit as soon as I get an answer.

I've put 2 line spaces for each paragraph on all that I've edited. Once verified it shows up with just one line space that way.
0 likes
Quote by Buz

I've put 2 line spaces for each paragraph on all that I've edited. Once verified it shows up with just one line space that way.

Thanks, Buz. Submission coming soon.
Blackbird Supernova
0 likes
Quote by seeker4

Thanks, Buz. Submission coming soon.

Can you give us a little more information about what word processor, OS and browser you're using? Thanks. smile
0 likes
Quote by RavenStar

Can you give us a little more information about what word processor, OS and browser you're using? Thanks. smile

I am a Windows guy, do my writing in Word but paste into Notepad to convert it to plain text before I post it here. Been burned too many times in the past to try pasting direct from Weird.

I put extra breaks in per Buz's advice and it submitted fine per Delphi, who verified it.

Browser is Chrome.
Bonnet Flaunter
0 likes
Quote by Liz

I've got one for you. (Running Firefox 50 on macOS Sierra 10.12.1)

If you maximise the main story field, a feature I think is fantastic, the top of the gray toolbar hides behind the Lush red header and you cannot see the top row of buttons including the one to minimise it back down.

Super-Liz, I had this problem too (on Chrome and Windows 10 and possibly candle power). Have you found any way around this??
Code Monkey
0 likes
Quote by curvygalore

Super-Liz, I had this problem too (on Chrome and Windows 10 and possibly candle power). Have you found any way around this??

I've hidden the red toolbar at the top when in fullscreen mode.

Let me know if there continue to be issues with this.
Code Monkey
0 likes
Quote by seeker4

I am a Windows guy, do my writing in Word but paste into Notepad to convert it to plain text before I post it here. Been burned too many times in the past to try pasting direct from Weird.

I put extra breaks in per Buz's advice and it submitted fine per Delphi, who verified it.

Browser is Chrome.

This new editor should be a little more compatible with Word. Next time you're feeling game perhaps use the paste from Word button, what's the worse that can happen
0 likes
Quote by gav

This new editor should be a little more compatible with Word. Next time you're feeling game perhaps use the paste from Word button, what's the worse that can happen

Now that my comp entry is in, I'm not posting any more until the New Year but I'll give it a whirl when I get there.
Unicorn Wrangler
0 likes
When I submitted my comp entry, I had written it in Word first, then copy & pasted it into Lush. This is the same thing I've done since I joined Lush. This time, it kept the indents for the paragraphs. Ruthie brought this to my attention and had me remove them. This was a first for me. In the past, my paragraphs would be separated by a blank space, this seems to no longer exist unless they are added (not a big deal.) However, the intent thing was new. It's an easy fix, but it is new.
Editor at large
0 likes
I work and read on iMac. Since the upgrade, or whatever it is, stories do not have paragraph spacing. On my much cheaper KindleFire, stories sometimes (not always) have spacing.
This has been the situation siuce December 17 incusive and onwards - and it makes reading very difficult, tireseome, and it's reached the point that I am really cherry picking.
Before this "fix," everything was fine.

EDIT ON DEC 30: Today, I seem to have spacing between paragraphs . Fingers crossed X
0 likes
I just tried to edit a story to link in a chapter. I didn't change any part of the story but the spacing seemed to get wider and it's got to be fully reverified now. I'm sorry! Idk what I did wrong. It's usually fine when I change the linked story.
Lurker
0 likes
I'm sure a mod can confirm, but my impression was that anything that didn't change the story itself didn't require re verification. At least not in the past.

So, changing the link to a story didn't (use to) require re verification, because the story that was getting linked to had already been verified, so you're not potentially making a change that could change a story's approved status.

(In the past, I think that sometimes even changing the spacing, without changing any characters, was ok too, as I'd sometimes go back an edit out the extra spaces that would creep in after italics, and I don't think those changes required re-verification).

But even changing a minute number of words here or there could potentially make it so that you're changing a story to a point where it's not acceptable anymore (imagine removing the word "step" from the phrase "step-mother," or changing a word like "convinced" to something like "forced.")

Sounds like the new submission pane may not be working as smoothly. I've only submitted one story since the change, and it sprouted extra spaces between paragraphs, which the approving mod (Delphi) I think fixed for me, rather than sending it back.

In terms of the reading side of things, I've had no problems. I read either on Safari on a MacBook, or on Mercury on my iPhone. formatting is fine, although when I read on my phone, the "reader" view no longer seems to work. It still does work on my laptop, so I assume it's something to do with the browser I use on my phone.
Charming as fuck
0 likes
Quote by browncoffee
I just tried to edit a story to link in a chapter. I didn't change any part of the story but the spacing seemed to get wider and it's got to be fully reverified now. I'm sorry! Idk what I did wrong. It's usually fine when I change the linked story.

i've fixed the spacing smile it was probably that that made it go back in the queue, rather than you just changing a link.

we're still having some issues. i think gav knows what the issues are - it's just taking a wee while to iron out. we'll fix spacing issues in the meantime when we see them. j xx
0 likes
Quote by oceanrunner

But even changing a minute number of words here or there could potentially make it so that you're changing a story to a point where it's not acceptable anymore (imagine removing the word "step" from the phrase "step-mother," or changing a word like "convinced" to something like "forced.")

That's true and makes a lot of sense though people who'd do this are... I don't even know.

Quote by Jen

i've fixed the spacing smile it was probably that that made it go back in the queue, rather than you just changing a link.

we're still having some issues. i think gav knows what the issues are - it's just taking a wee while to iron out. we'll fix spacing issues in the meantime when we see them. j xx

Thanks, Jen! You're so awesome. I got you a cake based on your love of colour...

Lurker
0 likes
Quote by browncoffee

Hi, I had the exact same issue just now. I posted a new chapter to a series, so I went to the previous chapter to change the link so that it would point to the new one.

Just the act of hitting "edit" to open the editing window revealed brand-new spaces between paragraphs. All I wanted to do (and all I did) was change the link on the pull-down menu.

In the note to mod, I asked that if ignoring my requested change would result in no one (me or mod) having to fix the formatting, then hopefully that would be okay. The change wasn't worth, at this point, having anyone needing to excise extra spacing between every paragraph.

But the story has disappeared from my front page, and is gone for re-verification, presumably because the spacing is effed up again.

I'm sorry for the trouble.