Peri

last reply
27 replies
2.1k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Scarlet Seductress
0 likes
Some of you may have recently received a PM or read a forum post from Peri who is no longer a member of Lush. In it she accused the moderating team, and myself specifically, of being "impulsive, trigger-happy and enjoy member-bashing". Anyone who knows me or is friends with one of the wonderful moderators who volunteer their time here to help keep the site running will know that this is nonsense. To claim "prejudice and discrimination" simply for being asked to remove plagiarized content is just stupid.

For those of you that are interested, Peri submitted a poem called 'Hope' which contained a lot of lyrics from the song Mamma Mia by Abba. We do not allow copyright works to be used in publications. This has been covered many times and I won't be going over it again now - you can read Nicola's official post here if you wish:

https://www.lushstories.com/forum/yaf_postst56045_Plagiarism.aspx

Jen, who is one of the most lovely people you could ever wish to meet, brought this to Peri's attention and asked her about it. Peri claimed it was a complete coincidence which does not seem likely due to the fact that the lines were word-for-word identical. When other poems were checked out of curiosity and found to again contain song lyrics by other bands such as Modern Talking, Peri was confronted about it. Peri's defensive response was simply, "Regarding other poems, if you feel the same way, please take action as per Lush Policy".

Our time as volunteers is limited. We are a finite resource that is best served processing the new stories that get submitted to the site on a daily basis. To sift through a member's entire publication history for infringing content because they are not prepared to assist you is crazy. Peri was not prepared to take down herself any other poems with dubitable content and so we took down all of them. This in return resulted in a disgruntled message to the site in complaint, and the messages she recently posted in the forum and sent out via PM containing "Relevant extracts of the reply of Senior Moderator Liz".

The problem with relevant extracts is that they remove a lot of context. To that end, please find below the complete text of the "disgusting response" that I sent.

Hi Peri,

I am writing to you in response to a message you sent into the helpdesk. It relates to the fact that your stories have been removed from the site. You asked two specific questions regarding this which I would like to answer for you now:

1. Do all my stories contain “plagiarized” content? If yes, I’d like to know about it (which line or verse?).

If you have plagiarized song lyrics to use in your publications, then you would know which ones they are. The moderators of Lush have neither the time nor the motivation to trawl through your entire back-catalogue of poems and sift through them for lines you have lifted from songs. We started by identifying one, then two, then three, and frankly that was enough. The examples reported by Jen contained more than just a single line here and there. For example, your poem Hope is approx 50% Mamma Mia lyrics.

2. Can a mod remove stories like that? Not the one she highlighted but all the stories?

Yes. The decision was actually a mutual one following a discussion about the best way to deal with this situation. You were given every opportunity by Jen to assist in identifying the poems with questionable content and yet decided not to, stating only that it must all be a coincidence and that she should 'do what she must'. Clearly, you were not interested in owning up to the misdeed and resolving it, therefore we have removed everything.

I think perhaps you underestimate how seriously this site takes intellectual copyright theft. Taking someone else's work, be it a writer, or band, or whoever, and then publishing it as your own either wholly or in part, is simply unacceptable. We consider it a cardinal sin and most offenders are very quickly shown the door. You should consider yourself extremely lucky to still have your account on Lush.

I trust this answers your questions but should you have any more, you are welcome to message me directly and I will try my best to answer them.

Kind regards,

Liz
Senior Moderator

The moderators on Lush try to be as honest and open as possible, there is no cloak and dagger nonsense going on. We usually don't make a point of publicly providing details when something like this happens, but Peri was a popular member on Lush and based on the content of the messages she sent out, I felt things required clarifying. I hope this has demonstrated the opportunities given to this member to resolve the issue and the frankly extraordinary leniency offered under the circumstances.

Liz
Matriarch
0 likes
Thanks for explaining the situation in detail Liz.

Sending out hundreds of PM's, and then spamming the forums with half a dozen or so exact same posts, was her ultimate downfall. I deleted her account earlier today.

Bad mouthing the site, for protecting the work of other writers, and then spreading misleading information about us, with only a few of the facts, is simply not on.

I kept this a private matter with said member (as we always do), out of respect for the contributions she'd made over the years. She was the one who ultimately embarrassed herself, openly.

I don't believe in naming and shaming, putting heads on pikes, but this serves as a good lesson to people who think it's ok to steal other people's work.

It's even in our site terms and conditions, and quite frankly, shouldn't need to be said:

Story Submissions

You may not post, distribute, or reproduce in any way, any copyrighted material, trademarks, or other proprietary information on lushstories.com without obtaining the prior written consent of the owner. You must be the author of all works you publish.

You acknowledge and agree that lushstories.com cannot and does not review all of the information that comprises the content, and shall be considered, to the greatest extent possible, to be solely a common carrier of the content. You understand and agree that lushstories.com is not responsible for any of the information that comprises the content.

Any opinions, advice, statements, or content made at or through this website and associated forums are the work product of third parties. Lushstories.com neither guarantees nor endorses the content, usefulness, truthfulness, accuracy or validity of such content, and the works contained are provided for entertainment purposes only.

Lushstories.com has the right, but not the obligation, to monitor the content, and reserves the right to remove any portion of the content at any time.
Unicorn Wrangler
0 likes
I won't even say I'm surprised by this ultimate outcome. When I saw the multiple forum posts, I knew it was only a matter of time before they and her account would be deleted. I'm sorry you were thrown under the bus like you were Liz.
Gravelly-Voiced Fucker
0 likes
I am more concerned with her choice to use Mamma Mia as her source to plagiarize from. Yikes.
Fancy Schmancy
0 likes
Perhaps Peri's real life identity is Melania Trump???
Lurker
0 likes
Thanks, Mods.

What's unfortunate is that it seems she doesn't understand what plagiarism is. . . and on a site with numerous writers who release, on good faith, our original works, we don't need members who don't understand what plagiarism is to be dwelling here.

I know people, moderators and members, on this site have actually gone head-to-head with plagiarizers all over the net, even bringing down website dedicated to hawking and publishing people's stories, so I didn't feel pulled into her issue in the way she wanted people to be.
0 likes
Quote by Verbal
I am more concerned with her choice to use Mamma Mia as her source to plagiarize from. Yikes.

Hey. There are some ABBA fans on here, buddy. I demand moderator action to soothe my hurt feelings.

(Not really. Verbal is entitled to his opinion. Even if it is wrong ... )
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by seeker4

Hey. There are some ABBA fans on here, buddy. I demand moderator action to soothe my hurt feelings.

He's been suspended from the site for 3 minutes for his comment. hope that satisfies you?

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Gravelly-Voiced Fucker
0 likes
Quote by sprite

He's been suspended from the site for 3 minutes for his comment. hope that satisfies you?

Once again, crushed by the ruthless jackboots of the fascist pro-ABBA mods.
Cheeky Chick
0 likes
I saw this post yesterday and was so shocked that it had happened. I'm glad it was taken care of. The mods on this site do this job for free and work very hard and don't get enough respect back. It's a real shame. Thank you for working so hard, mod team!
0 likes
Quote by sprite

Perfect. I hope he's learned his lesson.
0 likes
Quote by Verbal

Once again, crushed by the ruthless jackboots of the fascist pro-ABBA mods.

It's like they want us to think their thoughts. Like a thought police! The cop cars sirens will be like the intro to Dancing Queen. Or something.

Oh wait. I'm a mod now too.
Υπηρέτης της Αφροδίτης
0 likes
Peri, was one of my ummm, closest friends on Lush, I just read this thread tonight. I have to say I'd read a few of her poems but hadn't noticed before her use of Song Lyrics. I hadn't read 'Hope' at all. I'm really disappointed that she could do such a thing, which makes question who she really was anyways.
In the world's harsh wear and tear many a very sincere attachment is slowly obliterated.

Είμαι ταξιδιώτης τόσο στο χρόνο όσο και στο διάστημα
Υπηρέτης της Αφροδίτης
0 likes
Peri, Peri
What did you do?
Wrote a poem or two, that wasn't wholly by you
Mama Mia, what did you do
Got yourself banned and quite rightly too.
In the world's harsh wear and tear many a very sincere attachment is slowly obliterated.

Είμαι ταξιδιώτης τόσο στο χρόνο όσο και στο διάστημα
Big-haired Bitch
0 likes
Quote by Melissa999
Peri, Peri
What did you do?
Wrote a poem or two, that wasn't wholly by you
Mama Mia, what did you do
Got yourself banned and quite rightly too.

░P░U░S░S░Y░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░

Snake Charmera
0 likes
When I first received the PM from Peri today I was in shock as to what she had done. I never once questioned what both Jen and Liz had said or done. The mods on both sites work extremely hard to get the stories and poems up in a timely manner for all of us. I know it is not an easy task and one that could keep you busy for hours and hours each day. Taking you away from your own life. Always on your own time. There honestly isn't enough recognition for what any of you do. I've had conversations with a couple mods about my stories and needing editing. They've always been kind and helpful. The drama she was trying to cause was unwarranted. Let me just say thank you for doing what you all do.

My Anti-Valentine Entry 💔

https://www.lushstories.com/stories/cheating/a-valentines-date-to-remember

My first EP and a top ten from the Pride Competition
https://www.lushstories.com/stories/lesbian/-love-is-love-.aspx

Hanging in the background but around

Lurker
0 likes
Quote by LaylaJune
Perhaps Peri's real life identify is Melania Trump???

We are not friends but right now after that comment you're my best friend! Now the secret is out but wait! It might have been fake news...
Gentleman Stranger
0 likes
Mama Mia and ABBA, huh? If she'd just plagiarized Milli Vanilli we probably could have let it pass, because we would never have been sure who she was really ripping off.

Still, I hate to see someone who was so involved with the site end up like this, even though it is 100% justified. Sad.
Fancy Schmancy
0 likes
Quote by PurePurplePassion

We are not friends but right now after that comment you're my best friend! Now the secret is out but wait! It might have been fake news...

Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by TonyaL
When I first received the PM from Peri today I was in shock as to what she had done. I never once questioned what both Jen and Liz had said or done. The mods on both sites work extremely hard to get the stories and poems up in a timely manner for all of us. I know it is not an easy task and one that could keep you busy for hours and hours each day. Taking you away from your own life. Always on your own time. There honestly isn't enough recognition for what any of you do. I've had conversations with a couple mods about my stories and needing editing. They've always been kind and helpful. The drama she was trying to cause was unwarranted. Let me just say thank you for doing what you all do.

thank you, Tonya. this really makes doing what i do worth it. seriously, this made my whole month. *hugs*

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Troublemaker
0 likes
This sad part about this kind of behaviour is it can undermine the credibility of some enormously talented writers here on Lush. Thanx for dealing with this appropriately. 50%????? Christ, I live in fear of inadvertently stealing a phrase or unique pairing of words in something I read here. Its a simple matter of respect for others' work.
As for the mods; I consider myself to be an average writer at best. If I recall correctly every story or poem I have submitted has been an overwhelmingly positive experience. I have received a ton of encouragement and I can't express how impressed I have been. I didn't initially catch this in some of my work but the mods have generously corrected punctuation errors and often provide helpful suggestions. As many have said above they are truly unsung heroes. It troubles me when Mods are accused of being unfair. Of those I am familiar with they absorb an unfair amount of nonsense yet remain enormous contributors to site content and their stories are typically stand-outs from work such as mine. It would do us all well to remember that writing is an art, subjective at best and sometimes a well crafted piece just doesn't resonate with the reader. So what? Go write another one.
Short Arse Brit
0 likes
**Content removed by moderator**

True story:

When I was writing my last story, back in February I think it was. I had a query about the use of song lyrics and it was Liz I contacted. It's strange to me that she would be accused of all this when she went out of her way to explain to me what I could and couldn't do in terms of mentioning/using lyrics from songs and why.

I'd be happy to post it, not that I think it's necessary. Still, she could have just replied with a yes or no to my question but she didn't do that and she was really helpful. All the mods are.

I'm sorry this has happened *hugs* to all the mods. This place is seriously better off without her and people like her.
The Duchess of Tart

Please check out my new story, co-written with the amazing Wilful.

https://www.lushstories.com/stories/straight-sex/long-time-coming.aspx

And my latest poem, The Temptation.

https://www.lushstories.com/stories/erotic-poems/the-temptation.aspx
Sarcastic Coffee Aficionado
0 likes
**Content removed by moderator.**

As I said to Nicola, the plagarism code keeps Lush stories stellar.

Too bad we can't say most of the members are stellar too.

Van
"insensitive prick!" – Danielle Algo
0 likes
Quote by VanGogh
As I said to Nicola, the plagarism code keeps Lush stories stellar.

Too bad we can't say most of the members are stellar too.

You recently copied a whole NYT article into a Lush thread. That's not plagiarism, since you didn't claim it was yours, but it's at least a copyright infringement. How stellar is that?

===  Not ALL LIVES MATTER until BLACK LIVES MATTER  ===

Big-haired Bitch
0 likes
Let's not make this yet another opportunity to bash each other.

Feel free to discuss the merits (or lack thereof) of plagiarism, but speaking about whether or not you like the featured member of this post is not relevant to the discussion.

Please and thanks.

░P░U░S░S░Y░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░

Sarcastic Coffee Aficionado
0 likes
Quote by noll

You recently copied a whole NYT article into a Lush thread. That's not plagiarism, since you didn't claim it was yours, but it's at least a copyright infringement. How stellar is that?

I'm not stellar in any way. And, I've never plagiarized. I'll remove my full copy and paste from noted thread, which I stated. I'm sure it won't be an issue to those here to go read it at the NYT.

I hope you feel empowered and content now.

God speed.

Van
Love Bug
0 likes
The Mods on Lush give so much of themselves and ask for little in return. I do not have enough fingers and toes to count the endless times I have emailed or reached out with questions or help with a story and they have all been so gracious in answering questions and giving writing advice. I am guilty of not saying thank you often enough but the assistance doesn't go unnoticed. We are all lucky to be a part of this community.
Empress of the Moon
0 likes
It is horrible that people post material that they have stolen on Lush as their own. It is even worse when they are confronted by the fact and try to lie about it when any person can look at the same two works side by side and see which one was stolen. It is easy to trace stories to their original source. We often get stories that are found on other sites. When we do, we ask for an email from that authors account to Lush. If they cannot prove that they are the author of said work, it is deleted. In a great majority of the cases, when a person plagiarizes from another source, such as copying the entire story or using parts of a story published elsewhere by another person, the member's account is deleted. All the rules are there for writer's to read. There is no excuse for not knowing you are publishing another person's work. A number of Peri's poems were found to have lines that were lifted directly from songs. Songs are copyrighted and those copyrights are usually enforced. She'd have done better just to lift her poems off a poetry site, then nobody would have noticed and she'd be here today.

'Don't steal, don't lift,' as the song goes.
[url]http://[/url]