We're getting a New Doctor!

last reply
15 replies
1.5k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
spoiler alert - if you don't want to find out who the new Doctor Who is, don't go any farther. That said, my jaw literally dropped. it's epic, especially if you've been watching Broadchurch!

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Lurker
0 likes
Absolutely no way!! Well it's about time! I'm actually jumping in my seat on the couch! You have made my day sweet Sprite. I can't wait!?????
0 likes
I love the idea of a female Doctor and they did set the necessary precedent with Missy (female regeneration of the Doctor's archenemy The Master) so I see no validity in some of the whining I've heard already. I haven't actually watched much of the new series (seen about 3 seasons with a smattering of episodes from others) but was a big fan back in the late seventies and into the eighties when the original series came to North America. Favorite Doctor overall is the late Jon Pertwee (the Third Doctor), though I have to concede that his successor (also very good) Tom Baker got the best scripts and stories. Favorite revival Doctor is Tennant.

As for Broadchurch, it is on my NF list (because of Tennant being in it) but haven't got there yet. The seasons are fairly short, though, IIRC so I might be able to get to it.
Story Verifier
0 likes
Never been much of fan of Dr Who. I thought it passed its sell-buy date years ago but saying that I am pleased that a female has been given the role. The BBC is a very sexist organisation as the revelation today of the differences between the top male and female salaries show. I hope that today's news will bring about a good shake up of this monolithic waste of public funds.

I wouldn't mind betting that the favourite to take over the role a while back - Kris Marshall was sidelined because of the impending storm over pay disparity.
“When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened for us.”
0 likes
Quote by angieseroticpen
I thought it passed its sell-buy date years ago

I've had mixed feelings about the revival. I was quite excited at the start and I do like the new series as far as I've watched. However, as time goes on it feels like a different show in so many ways that I kind of see it as a semi-reboot and therefore kind of its own thing rather than a real continuation. I rewatched some old favorite episodes (mostly featuring Tom Baker, the fourth Doctor) when NF Canada had them for a while and I can't think of any of the current series that I like as much as those old classics.
Story Verifier
0 likes
Quote by seeker4

I've had mixed feelings about the revival. I was quite excited at the start and I do like the new series as far as I've watched. However, as time goes on it feels like a different show in so many ways that I kind of see it as a semi-reboot and therefore kind of its own thing rather than a real continuation. I rewatched some old favorite episodes (mostly featuring Tom Baker, the fourth Doctor) when NF Canada had them for a while and I can't think of any of the current series that I like as much as those old classics.

I actually met Colin Baker at a Dr Who convention in Inverness about 25 years ago. Think he was the 6th or 7th Dr. I was having a drink in the lounge bar of the then Caledonian Hotel while waiting to meet a client. He was taking a break. We chatted briefly; quite a nice guy.
“When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened for us.”
0 likes
Quote by angieseroticpen

I actually met Colin Baker at a Dr Who convention in Inverness about 25 years ago. Think he was the 6th or 7th Dr. I was having a drink in the lounge bar of the then Caledonian Hotel while waiting to meet a client. He was taking a break. We chatted briefly; quite a nice guy.

6th. I think he's done some Big Finish audios plays as The Doctor, too. I missed most of his run (kind of stopped watching for a while during Five and Six, then started again when Seven made it over here). He's well-loved among Who fans for precisely the reason you state: he's a nice, friendly guy. His run is a bit more controversial, with a lot of the blame directed at the writers rather than him, though.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by sprite
spoiler alert - if you don't want to find out who the new Doctor Who is, don't go any farther. That said, my jaw literally dropped. it's epic, especially if you've been watching Broadchurch!

{Edit} All references to her driving as I drive, removed
0 likes
Quote by hayley

{Edit} All references to her driving as I drive, removed

I would love to know who put in the effort to build that thing. Looks cool. However, would a male Doctor be subject to jokes about his driving? Because, really, many of them have been terrible drivers. Just ask Sarah Jane Smith (got dropped off in the wrong place when Four had to go home to Gallifrey and couldn't take her along).
Lurker
0 likes
I'm thrilled the Doctor will be a woman but of course...

Lurker
0 likes
Quote by seeker4

I would love to know who put in the effort to build that thing. Looks cool. However, would a male Doctor be subject to jokes about his driving? Because, really, many of them have been terrible drivers. Just ask Sarah Jane Smith (got dropped off in the wrong place when Four had to go home to Gallifrey and couldn't take her along).

I think it was the Brits. I think it's so funny. And yes men are, statistically, worse drivers than we women.

However, now we have shattered the glass ceiling of space and time, I am preparing myself for a bevy of really choice female jocularity. Don't you know that in laughing at your jokes about us, we subtly maintain our superiority?. ... Girl's secret..

I purloined the pic from the UK Police website... giggles. Here's another really good one.... [it's ok to laugh at one's self you know smile] ...

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by sprite

I never watched Doctor Who, but I LOVE Broadchurch! Especially the female detective and the mother of the little boy murdered in the first season. She may be turning in the best performance this season (aside from the victim), which is airing now on BBC America.
0 likes
Quote by latecomer91364
mother of the little boy murdered in the first season.

This is Jodie Whittaker, the new Doctor Who.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by seeker4

This is Jodie Whittaker, the new Doctor Who.

Really? That's almost enough to make me watch (what am I - 50 years late?). She's both a lovely woman and an incredibly good, subtle actress. I often rewind to watch her work again.