Login

The Pence rule

last reply
3 replies
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Well before all these sexual allegation scandals broke, Vice-President Pence had a rule that he would never
meet alone with a woman.

What does everyone think?

Good rule?

Unfair rule (as men can meet one one one).
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Unfortunately, it's not always sexual allegations.

If you're meeting 'One on One', there is always the chance of allegations of any form of impropriety.

You could be trying to honestly do the right thing and someone will always take offence.
Rainbow Warrior
0 likes
I think this belongs in the Think Tank. But here's a man who sees women as nothing more than sexual objects, invoking the Billy Graham Rule (look it up) to rationalize his fear of women, while sharing a Presidential ticket with an admitted sexual assaulter. It all makes perfect sense-if you're a misogynistic hypocritical asshole. Why doesn't he fear being alone with a man? The man might be gay, after all! ...who might make sexual allegations against him. The Billy Graham Rule is essentially to protect a man from his own weakness to give in to lust, not to protect him from false sexual assault allegations. The whole concept is akin to the Islamic blaming of females for men's sexual temptation, instead of putting the blame where it belongs. It's also a means of disenfranchising women in the workplace. How can a woman succeed in business/politics if men can't meet with them alone? The whole thing stinks of misogyny.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes

Its probably very wise to stick to this rule if you're in public life. My doctor won't be in an exam room with me without a nurse. Not that I would ever cause trouble, but I do know some very vindictive girls who wouldn't think twice about making up a story to harm a guy's reputation.