Join the best erotica focused adult social network now
Login

My Aunt. Chapter 17

"Victoria seeks answers"

8
9 Comments 9
5.1k Views 5.1k
3.4k words 3.4k words
We sat opposite each other in the hot water. A week ago I could not have imagined being naked in front of another person, yet, here I was, sharing a bath with another woman.

I reasoned that the circumstances precluded any form of sexual activity but, nevertheless, I knew now that I was an adult. I could stand on my own two feet and my destiny was firmly in my own hands.

Then I studied Bethany. Any other time I am sure she would have been all over me but, on this awful morning, she was subdued, absent mindedly soaping her wash cloth and cleansing herself slowly, her thoughts completely on Maggie and what had happened.

Slowly, she realised I was looking at her and she smiled.

“Maggie was loike a sister to me, Miss. Oi will miss her something terrible oi will.”

“I know you will, Bethany.” I replied.

“When oi were flogged the other day, It were Maggie who soothed moi bum because she knows oi don't loike the pain and she always looks after me that way... well, looked...”

Her eyes began to fill again and she took a deep breath.

“Oi got to be strong now, 'aven't oi, Miss?”

I took her hand in mine.

“You do but I am sure we will all look after each other. I will make sure that you will have someone if you need them.”

“You are so kind, Miss Victoria. Who do you 'ave in mind?”

“Me, of course, I will always help you if I can.” I smiled. She lowered her gaze and her face glowed bright red.

“Come on then.” I went on, “We must get on. We have a rather difficult day ahead of us I think.”

“I knew you was special when oi first clapped eyes on you, Miss.”

Now it was my turn to blush.

“No, I am not special. I am just me.”

She smiled.

“If you say so, Miss.”

I washed her hair and then turned so that she could wash mine then, together, we stepped out of the bath tub.

I picked up the towel from the rail and began to dab the moisture from her body. It felt odd and yet nice to be doing this for her. I dried her from her head down across her breasts and her torso and she just stood still, only lifting her arms for me to dry them and beneath.

I reached her lower stomach. It was soft yet firm.

I stood back then and held out the towel for her to continue herself and I thought she seemed very reluctant to take it but she did and finished towelling herself down.

As she dried herself I took another towel and soon, we were back in my room getting dressed.

I bid her to sit and I brushed her long blonde hair, just as I was used to having done to me. Then I put it up in a bun for her and handed her the white cotton cap.

Finally, we were both ready and Bethany turned to leave by the bathroom door but, before she did she kissed me gently on the lips.

“Thank you, Miss Victoria.” she said. “Without you oi would have been a terrible mess.”

I smiled.

“You are welcome, Bethany,” I replied and then she was gone.

I made my way alone to the dining room where I found my aunt at the table.

I kissed her and took my place beside her and she rang the little hand bell.

Momentarily, Melissa appeared.

“Good morning, Miss Victoria. Can I get you something?”

“Good morning again, Melissa. Just tea for now please. I am not really hungry.”

“No, I don't suppose you are,” She smiled sadly. “None of us are,” and she turned and returned to the kitchen.

“How are you, Aunt Helen?” I asked, now that we were alone. “Did you get any sleep?”

“Not much, my dear but I believe you did.”

“How did you...?” My jaw dropped open. “Melissa!” I exclaimed as the very suspect appeared again, carrying a tray.

“Yes, Miss?” she replied, obviously not having heard what had been said.

“Oh, nothing, it doesn't matter,” I said as she placed the bone china teapot on its little stand in front of me. “Thank you.”

You are welcome, Miss Victoria,” she said and went back from whence she had come.

I looked at my aunt as I poured a cup of tea for myself. Lady Helen already had one.

“Does she tell you everything?” I was curious now as to whether Melissa had mentioned her 'punishment'.

“I think so,” came the reply I dreaded. “She told me about what happened last night if that is what you are referring to.”

“Oh gosh!” The words just spilled out before I could stop them and I felt as though my face had burst into flames.

Aunt Helen smiled

“Don't worry, my dear. I am very proud of what you did.”

“You are?” I was more than a little surprised.

“Yes, of course. It was wrong of Melissa to spy on you. She deserved to be punished and you devised a punishment that reflected the embarrassment that you experienced.”

“Oh, well, yes. I...” I wasn't sure what to say to that.

“What is more, you showed your authority in a fair and reasonable manner and that says a lot about you, my dear.”

“Aunt Helen...” I began. “I don't understand why she told you though.”

Once again my aunt smiled softly.

“You would find out sometime, I suppose,” she said. “I have known Melissa since I was a child. In those days there was a distinct boundary between upstairs and downstairs but we became close friends. Although my Mother and Father were great sticklers for etiquette between the classes they never tried to separate us or to prevent our friendship. She was there for me when I needed her and after the problems almost twenty years ago, we became lovers. She remains the housekeeper because she likes it and it suits us.”

I listened dumbfounded. I could not believe my ears. Lady Helen Fortesque-Brown was now the most amazing person I had ever met. She had broken every rule in society without offending anyone and without losing any respect from those who knew her. If I grew up to be just a fraction of the person she was I would be very happy indeed!

“Would it be too forward of me to ask what did happen to you, Aunt Helen?” 

“No, indeed it is not,” she replied, “I will tell you some day but not today. We have so much to do today.”

I looked at her with so much admiration.

“I understand. My parents actually told me nothing about you but already I feel so close to you.”

Lady Helen reached out her hand and placed it on top of mine on the table.

“You are a good girl, Victoria. I am pleased you are here. My only regret is that I wish it could have been in different circumstances.”

“Yes,” I agreed, “especially now.”

Nothing more was said as we sat in silence, each of us lost in our own thoughts.

It seemed as though only five minutes had passed before Melissa returned and announced that the Police had arrived.

“Show them in and then get Bethany to join us please, Melissa.”

“Yes Mistress,” came the reply.

A few minutes later, the dining room door opened and Melissa entered.

“Detective Sergeant Morgan, My Lady.”

Arthur Morgan entered, his bowler hat in his hand.

“Good morning, Lady Helen,” he said, nodding his head. “Miss Harcourt.”

Aunt Helen looked puzzled.

“You know my... “ a pause, “Victoria?”

“We sat together on the train from London,” I answered for him.

“Ah, I see,” She replied. “Please, Sergeant, take a seat at the table. Would you care for some tea?”

“Ah, yes please, your Ladyship. If it is not too much trouble.” He sat down and placed his hat next to him on the vacant chair.

“Aunt Helen...” I began, “I have a confession. I hope you are not angry with me.”

“You are not going to incriminate yourself are you, Victoria?” she frowned.

“Oh, no, Aunt Helen but I do hope you will not be disappointed with me when I tell you that yesterday, whilst I was in Ipswich, I telephoned Sergeant Morgan.”

I waited with baited breath.

Lady Helen stared at me. I couldn't tell if she was angry, hurt or just surprised.

My heart was thudding in my chest until:

“You telephoned the Police?” she said quietly. “Why, Victoria? Was there some reason you could not come to me?”

“I didn't telephone the Police, Aunt Helen, not in that way. I was worried about something and I didn't want to worry you about it if I was just being a silly girl.”

“If I may interject, your Ladyship,” Sergeant Morgan said, trying to help me. “Miss Harcourt was worried that something was going on with one of your staff. She knew how much you trusted them and she didn't know what to do.”

“And which member of my staff might this be?” Lady Helen asked.

Arthur Morgan looked at me as if to say 'should I tell her or you'?

“Maggie,” I whispered

I told her all that had happened since the evening of my arrival. The lorry, the argument between Maggie and Charlie Manston and about Charlie being late yesterday because of his hand.

“I couldn't tell you Aunt Helen, I desperately wanted to be wrong. Are you angry at me?”

“How could I be angry, Victoria. Especially in the light of what has happened.” Aunt Helen seemed deflated, somehow. As if all that she held dear was rapidly collapsing around her.

“No,” she continued, “You were right to seek help.” She turned then, to Sergeant Morgan.

“So, Sergeant.

sashagray
Online Now!
Lush Cams
sashagray

What now?”

Arthur cleared his throat.

“Well, I have been in touch with the Military Police about the missing rations,” he said. “They are investigating that but there seems to be no sign of Charlie Manston. I want to talk to him about this argument and, of course, he is our main suspect for the murder.”

As he spoke, the door to the kitchen opened and Bethany appeared. I beckoned her to sit beside me.

About the same moment, the main door opened and doctor Harris appeared closely followed by Philomena Watson.

“Ah, William, Philomena. Please, take a seat,” My Aunt greeted them. “This is Detective Sergeant Morgan of the Suffolk County Constabulary.”

Arthur Morgan stood. Good Morning, Sergeant,” they both said.

“Good Morning to you, Sir, Miss,” he replied.

As he sat down again, Lady Helen explained:

“Doctor Harris is the surgeon who worked all night to try to save Maggie and Philomena is the senior Red Cross Nurse here. She also worked through the night to assist.”

I smiled up at Phil.

“Are you all right, Victoria?” she said. “I am sorry I couldn't let you help us, last night.”

“I am fine thank you,” I answered. “I think Bethany had more need of me, as you said.”

She looked to the young maid at my side.

“And how are you, Bethany?” she asked.

“Oh, oi'm much better now, thanks, Sister. Miss Victoria helped oi through. Oi don't know what oi would 'ave been loike without 'er.” Bethany looked at me as she spoke. Once again I felt the blood rushing to my face.

Before I could speak, Aunt Helen rang the little hand bell and, as Melissa appeared she asked, “Before we begin, can I get something for your breakfast or have you all eaten? Sergeant?” she turned to Sergeant Morgan.
“Don't put yourself to any trouble on my account, your Ladyship,” he replied.

“It is no trouble Sergeant. Melissa...” She turned to the housekeeper, whom I now regarded through different eyesl “Bring some tea and lay out the sideboard for breakfast, if you would, please.”

Melissa gave a little curtsey.

“Yes, Ma'am,” she replied, using her best etiquette in front of the guests.

Bethany began to rise but Aunt Helen gently stopped her, saying, “No, Bethany, Melissa and Sally can manage. I think it would be better to stay here for the time being.”

She turned to Sergeant Morgan.

“If you do not mind, Sergeant, I would like to keep this matter very informal. We will all co-operate, of course but I think we would be best served if we can speak as easily as possible.”

“As you wish, your Ladyship. A good idea,” he replied.

“And please, Sergeant, Lady Helen. 'Your Ladyship' is so stuffy.”

The Sergeant smiled and nodded once, indicating his understanding then turned to Doctor Harris.

“I think it best if we just get straight on with it,” he said, “Could you tell me please what you think was the cause of death.”

Doctor Harris looked across at my aunt.

“I am afraid this will not me pleasant, Helen. Do you think, perhaps, this should just be between ourselves and the Police?” He made a point of looking at myself and Bethany.

I said nothing but the look on both our faces spoke volumes.

Lady Helen thought for a moment and then replied:

“No, William. I think young Victoria is old enough now to be able to cope and Bethany found her so she will wish to stay, I am sure. Please, continue.”

I was relieved as I looked at Bethany. Her face showed that she was thinking along the same lines as myself.

“Before, you continue, Doctor,” Sergeant Morgan broke in, “I must remind all of you that what is discussed here must not be shared with anyone outside this room.”

We all nodded our agreement then turned to Doctor Harris and waited.

“As you all know,” he began, “Sister Watson and myself tried through the night to save Maggie but her injuries were so severe that I was not able to prevent her death.”

He paused to allow his statement to sink in then went on. “From the marks on her body, it is of my opinion that she had been bound at the wrists and ankles. There were considerable chafe marks where she had struggled against her bonds. In addition, her body was criss crossed with marks that I can only describe as having been produced by a violent whipping. Many of the strikes had broken the surface of her flesh and had bled. These alone, however, did not cause her death but were a significant contributing factor.”

“So you are saying, Doctor, that she had been bound and flogged to within an inch of her life?” the sergeant asked, wincing with distaste. I turned to Bethany and saw that her eyes were brimming with tears so I took her hand and held it tightly, “But this was not the cause of death you say.”

“No, indeed. I shall not go into detail here, I shall provide you with a full written report,” he said directly to the policeman, “However, suffice it to say that she had suffered some internal damage which caused severe blood loss. It was this, and the fact that she had been lying in the coal shed for several hours that was the cause of her demise.”

There was a shocked silence as all this detail sunk in.

Aunt Helen was the first to speak.

“Who would do such a cruel thing?” she whispered.

In a effort to keep us from withdrawing into our own individual thoughts and accusations, Arthur Morgan quickly answered,

“That is what we intend to discover, Lady Helen, and believe me, we will!”

He didn't wait long before he turned to Bethany.

“Could you tell me,” he said, “When you last visited the coal shed before you found the deceased?”

“The toime before oi found the de... before oi found Maggie ,” she began, haltingly, trying to hold back her tears, “was the noight before last. We 'adn't used much coal that day, what with there bein' hardly anyone in the house yesterday and the warm weather meant we din't need to loight the foires in the rooms.” I squeezed her hand. “Oh, oi wish oi 'ad gone out sooner.” she sobbed, “She moight still be aloive if oi 'ad.”

I put my arm around her and held her as she lay her head on my shoulder, her tears leaving a slight wet mark on the fabric of my dress.

“No, Bethany, I am afraid it would not have made any difference,” Doctor Harris said, with as soothing a voice as he could manage.

“So she could have been there as much as twenty-four hours?” Sergeant Morgan asked.

“It is possible, “ he replied, “but I don't think she would have survived so long in the condition she was in. No, I would say no more than a few hours.”

“So you found her around Eleven, Bethany?”

“I suppose about that, sir, yes,” she replied, sitting upright again.

“Hmmm... I see. And what time did you see Private Billington back to his room, Miss Harcourt?”

I thought carefully.

“I suppose, about eight-thirty,” I replied, thinking carefully. “That would be about right, Aunt Helen?” I asked

“Yes,” she agreed. “I think it would have been about then.”

Writing everything in his little notebook, Sergeant Morgan continued, “When you telephoned me yesterday, Miss, you said something about this Charlie Manston having had an argument with the deceased and turning up late with his hand bandaged. Did something concern you about that?”

“Yes, it did,” I replied sharply. “I saw what had happened between them in the courtyard and I was afraid he may have done it again.”

“It seems your fears had some substance, I am sorry to say, Miss Harcourt. As I said, we will find him before long. He can't hide for ever. When you returned from you visit to the town, was that the last time you saw him?”

“Yes,” I replied.

“I have spoken to Sir Michael,” he continued. “It seems that was the last time anyone saw him. Oh, I almost forgot.” he said, turning to Aunt Helen, “Sir Michael sends his condolences and says he will speak to you later when you have had time to settle.”

Lady Helen smiled and nodded sadly.

The remainder of the morning passed by and we answered all the questions that Sergeant Morgan put to us until he was satisfied that there was nothing more he could learn.

He stood.

“Thank you all for your co-operation,” he said. “I can assure you that we will leave no stone unturned until we find Charlie Manston.”

Suddenly, I remembered the necklace.

“Oh, Sergeant Morgan, I nearly forgot. I found Maggie's necklace on the drive last night. Is it all right if I give it to Bethany?”

“Maggie 'ad a necklace? Oi never knew that.” Bethany said with more than a little surprise in her voice.

“May I see it?” the Sergeant asked. I handed it to him.

“When did you find this?” he said.

“On the way back after leaving Thomas, erm, Private Billington at the front door, last night.”

“I will keep this for now, Miss, check it for finger prints. It could help provide the evidence we need for the courts.”

I was a little disappointed but understood completely.

It wasn't long before the good Doctor and Philomena also left and Bethany returned to her work.

Lady Helen had said she had no need to but she felt it was better than to be alone with her thoughts.

That left just me and Lady Helen.

“Would you like me to do anything, Aunt Helen?” I asked her. “Keep you company perhaps?”

“No,” she smiled. “Thank you anyway but I have so much to do now. Such a terrible business. I will see you at dinner.”

I decided to go outside to the garden. The sun was high and warm by now and I walked slowly towards the archway entrance and passed through into the fragrant garden.

As I breathed in the heady scent of the flowers, I became aware of someone behind me and spun round.

“You!” I exclaimed!

To be continued...

Published 
Written by Annamagique
Loved the story?
Show your appreciation by tipping the author!

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your erotic stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors

Comments