Join the best erotica focused adult social network now
Login

How effective is story spamming to friends?

last reply
109 replies
11.2k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Head Penguin
0 likes
We've all done it (well authors have) - you're excited about your new story, votes are flagging, so you send a message to "All your 'friends' " to ask for them to read your story. But is there any point?

In my opinion, probably not, for the following reasons.

1. Most of my friends (remind me why I added them) don't give a monkey's bum what I do.

2. Most potential readers of my stories are also following me, so the PM is just a duplication.

3. My proper Lush friends just don't tend to read/score/comment on my stories. That's their prerogative but I still love them.

That's about right, isn't it, or am I just a hopeless cynic?

Danny xxx

A First Class Service Ch.5

A steamy lesbian three way

Big-haired Bitch
0 likes
Nope, you're about right.

The last thing story spam does is compel me to read a story. It's actually a reason I don't follow many authors, because if I do, I'll get the double whammy.

░P░U░S░S░Y░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░

Story Verifier
0 likes
I've story-spammed a few times when the queue was a monster and my story got pushed from the front page faster than I could blink, and it wasn't completely for naught. I believe some just missed them and got reminded, but I'm hesitant to do that too often. I don't want to annoy them or feel obligated to vote and comment.
The Linebacker
0 likes
If someone gets their panties in a wad because you sent them a quick note about posting a story, they're not really a friend anyhow. Actually, complaining about that seems to exhibit a very shallow character flaw of a self centered, not very caring person.

When a friend sends me a pm that they've posted a story, I find that to be a very useful reminder and right away add it to my personal reading queue.
Lurker
0 likes
I have tried 'spamming' and found in my case, that it didn't work. I believe that if you write often enough, you will either build a loyal following of vanish into obscurity. Obscurity isn't a terrible place to be if just seeking platitudes and brush kisses.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
If you view your friends list as a homogenous lump rather than as a collection of individuals then spamming them works just fine.

Of course the downside is that it opens up communication with those friends who are a little hard work but aren't quite annoying enough to get themselves deleted ;)

Status blogs and forum sigs probably work better
Warning: The opinions above are those of an anonymous individual on the internet. They are opinions, unless they're facts. They may be ill-informed, out of touch with reality or just plain stupid. They may contain traces of irony. If reading these opinions causes you to be become outraged or you start displaying the symptoms of outrage, stop reading them immediately. If symptoms persist, consult a psychiatrist.

Why not read some stories instead

NEW! Want a quick read for your coffee break? Why not try this... Flash Erotica: Scrubber
Head Penguin
0 likes
Quote by overmykneenow
If you view your friends list as a homogenous lump rather than as a collection of individuals then spamming them works just fine.

Of course the downside is that it opens up communication with those friends who are a little hard work but aren't quite annoying enough to get themselves deleted ;)

Status blogs and forum sigs probably work better

You make my comments sound rather pejorative.

I've nothing personally against any of my friends, but I do think some just add me for the kudos of having a lot of friends and see me as another pair of tits to have on their list x

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by DanielleX

I've nothing personally against any of my friends, but I do think some just add me for the kudos of having a lot of friends and see me as another pair of tits to have on their list x

Not intended. I should have used "one's friend list" rather than the colloquial "you".

You have tits? FR?
Warning: The opinions above are those of an anonymous individual on the internet. They are opinions, unless they're facts. They may be ill-informed, out of touch with reality or just plain stupid. They may contain traces of irony. If reading these opinions causes you to be become outraged or you start displaying the symptoms of outrage, stop reading them immediately. If symptoms persist, consult a psychiatrist.

Why not read some stories instead

NEW! Want a quick read for your coffee break? Why not try this... Flash Erotica: Scrubber
Head Penguin
0 likes
Quote by overmykneenow

Not intended. I should have used "one's friend list" rather than the colloquial "you".

You have tits? FR?

Real! You cheeky fucker!

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by DanielleX

A nice pair to have, though. x

In all seriousness, I tend not to pay much attention to any spam messages. I know that it means a lot to the writer sending the message, but I just don't register it. It doesn't appeal to me. Sometimes I find it irritating, yes, if I get them all the time. I don't midn the occasional message and a polite reminder. I'd love to help my friends out more and be a bit better about it.

I have a lot of stories I'd like to read and stories I've forgotten to read. I wish I could read them all, but sometimes it's just not possible. I know it's a shame and I know a lot of writers really deserve the feedback, but sometimes you have to be selective. I'd like to think that I read a selection of all of my friends. I can't guarantee to read everything.

Personally, though, I don't like to send out spam messages. I could always use the votes. I don't get a lot of readers (and my competition one is getting less than most), but I feel guilty pestering people to read it. I figure if they want to read it - and it's worth reading - then hopefully they will.
A poetry selection!
Big-haired Bitch
0 likes
Quote by Buz
If someone gets their panties in a wad because you sent them a quick note about posting a story, they're not really a friend anyhow. Actually, complaining about that seems to exhibit a very shallow character flaw of a self centered, not very caring person.

When a friend sends me a pm that they've posted a story, I find that to be a very useful reminder and right away add it to my personal reading queue.

I see where you're coming from.

But on the other side of the friend token, most of the mass PMs I get from those on my friends list asking me (and everyone else) to read/score their story is basically the only correspondence I get from them.

That, to me, is more indicative of a self-centered, not very caring person. Never a 'Hey, how's life?!' But I always know when they've written a new story.

It's nothing that grinds my gears, though. I just delete and move on. If I want to read the story, I will, whether there's a mass announcement or not.

Head Penguin
0 likes
Quote by Dani

I see where you're coming from.

But on the other side of the friend token, most of the mass PMs I get from those on my friends list asking me (and everyone else) to read/score their story is basically the only correspondence I get from them.

That, to me, is more indicative of a self-centered, not very caring person. Never a 'Hey, how's life?!' But I always know when they've written a new story.

It's nothing that grinds my gears, though. I just delete and move on. If I want to read the story, I will, whether there's a mass announcement or not.

Well, I'm pleased that I recently sent you a non spam-related PM or I'd feel like a proper stinker!

Not that I got a reply or anything

Lurker
0 likes
I don't like to ask my friends to read something. I have sent out messages before.

I don't feel like begging, which is what it feels like to me.

I would say not very effective..lol lmao

0 likes
I did it for one story. Likely won't make a habit of it, though. In that case, I was getting back in after not posting any stories for a while. Got a few more comments and scores early on than usual but that may have been the story's category or subject as much as the spamming. Didn't really do any analysis to see how many of the comments and scores were from friends who got the spam.
Cryptic Vigilante
0 likes
Quote by Buz
If someone gets their panties in a wad because you sent them a quick note about posting a story, they're not really a friend anyhow.

That's the way I see it too, and that's why I keep my Friends List to a bare minimum. What's the point of having friends, other than occasionally interacting with them on a more personal level (eg. Black Boxes, Comments) and being mutually interested in what each other are doing on this site?

There are still plenty of interactions possible with people who aren't specifically your Friends: visiting their profiles, reading their stories, interacting on the forum, sending an occasional PM. If you're not interested in anything more than that, what's the point of having them as Friends?

If you don't want to interact with someone or aren't interested at all in what they publish, why accept/send them a request in the first place?

I've never sent mass PMs to promote my stories (I rarely publish anyway), but I don't mind receiving those from my Friends, at all. And yes, sometimes it incites me to read a story. Admittedly, there are some people who only send requests in order to spam you with what they publish at a later point, but I tend to delete those 'Friends' after a while anyway.

Keep them coming!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I have to say that when I see a message in my inbox that is about advertising a new story, it will 9 times out of 10 get deleted without being opened. I'll read stories that interest me and would rather not have them thrust upon me!
Big-haired Bitch
0 likes
Quote by DanielleX

Well, I'm pleased that I recently sent you a non spam-related PM or I'd feel like a proper stinker!

Not that I got a reply or anything

You and 3 others were caught in the crossfires of my fucked up internet. I got your message about the penguin game. I responded, got an error message, and responded again...or so I thought.

Check your inbox!

Cheeky Chick
0 likes
I only send out a mass message to my friends when I've entered a competition. I don't want to bug, bother or annoy anyone with my work otherwise. I just always want as much support as I can when I've entered a contest.

And that goes for me, I don't "mind" the spam mail, but if it is the same person over and over again, it is a little annoying. However, if it is a special project, like a co-writing thing, or a contest, something like that, I don't mind the spam mail.

I try to support any and all my friends, because I hope they'd do the same for me.
The Linebacker
0 likes
I absolutely see nothing wrong with sending an announcement/invitation to a friends list. It's perfectly fine for friends to send them to me.

If you don't like them, simply click the box to abstain from receiving mass pm's under your personal settings.
Candy Connoisseur
0 likes
I personally don't like it. If you post a new story, I'll see it, and I'll get to it when I'm free. Once, I can live with. I don't see that as getting my boxers in a bunch, I just don't like it. Same as I don't like olives. No one has to agree with my choice or opinion on it. You could always start a thread about it. It's bound to increase your story traffic...

Edit: Blogging is spam too..
Unicorn Wrangler
0 likes
I've done it twice. Once for a contest entry, and the other for a co-written piece that I knew most of my friends didn't follow the other author who posted the story, but that's it. I know some of my friends do it and it's fine. I don't know if it helps or not, but for those who do it, it's their choice. If I've already read it, I email them back & tell them.
0 likes
As a rule, I try to limit them to either competitions, or occasionally to try and call attention to a group or series of stories/poems which have come out over some time. Another thing that can be done is to clearly label them in the subject line so the can be easily ignored.

They don't bother me unless they have a subject line which causes me to mistake them for personal mail. Beyond that I can make the choice to read or delete them after giving them whatever consideration I decide is warranted, as I expect others do with mine. That's just kind of a thing my friends get from me: my consideration. I may not have the time, or be in the mood to read every story I hear about in my inbox, (or even most), but I've read some damn excellent writing that I was told of by the authors, which I would not have heard about otherwise.

Obviously there's lots of valid opinions, but this is mine.
Recommended Reads by TheScheherezadeFeint:
Undeniable - Erotic Poem
Disappearing Act - Love Poem
Synthetic Hours - Fantasy/Sci-fi - Eighth Place, 'Some Like It Hot' competition, January 2015
Night Work - Erotic Poem
Eating Breakfast In Glass Slippers - Straight Sex - Fifth Place, 'The Morning After The Night Before' competition, November 2014
Miracle of Night - Love Poem
The Brightest Black You've Ever Seen - Love Story - Ninth place, 'Toy With Me' competition, September 2014
Scream Fire - Erotic Poem - Audio read by MadameMolly
At First Sight (He) - Quickie Sex
Gravelly-Voiced Fucker
0 likes
Doesn't bother me as long as it is labeled (TheScheherezadeFeint just above me is where I learned the practice of labeling them as spam in the sunject line). I tend to just delete them as well, but I don't use the "following" feature so a few stories have caught my eye via spam that I would not have otherwise read. Spam is genuinely useful for people who don't post stories that often (like me, lately).

It's polite to label it as spam, though. I've gotten a few emails and thought "oh, how nice of them to write me" only to open them and find story spam. No big deal, but a little disappointing.
Rainbow Warrior
0 likes
I never spam because I don't like to impose myself or my work on other people. If they like my stories well enough to be notified, they will follow me. When I get spammed, I usually read the story out of some weird sense of obligation to a friend, so it is somewhat effective, with me at least.
Prolific Writer
0 likes
I have opted out of these kinds of mailings.

I never spam my work. My followers are alerted when a new story or poem is up.

I don't beg anybody to read my stuff. It is there if they would like to read them.

I would say there are more of my friends that don't read my work and that is fine.

I just enjoy writing. If people like what I write that makes me smile.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I'm not that active on the site but I do get some story spam from my friends list. I don't mind it, particularly if the subject indicates the message is publicizing a story. Once in a while it will get me to read something fun I wouldn't ordinarily have tried.
An old favorite story of mine: The Chaise Lounge
Rookie Scribe
0 likes
Quote by adagio_sabadicus
I have tried 'spamming' and found in my case, that it didn't work. I believe that if you write often enough, you will either build a loyal following of vanish into obscurity. Obscurity isn't a terrible place to be if just seeking platitudes and brush kisses.

Only a true writer could have posted this comment on obscurity.
In-House Sapiosexual
0 likes
I'm a busy person and I don't always catch the front page. I appreciate a message from friends letting me know that they've written something I might like or just a request to have a look and share what I think. That's what I'm here for, to write, to read and talk about it. Of course, everyone is not here for that.

I ain't to proud to beg. If I don't think enough about what I write to promote myself or that I'm so good I don't need readers...Shame on me. I'm not as prolific as some, I never send out a succession of them within days of each other. I try to keep it brief. If my friends are bothered by them, they can simply press delete. It's not meant to offend. It's a shame that some take it that way.
? A True Story ?
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I think it's perfectly ok for authors to intimate their friends that they've got a story published. After all they're friends! Begging or imposing etc as mentioned by some, are psychological issues I guess.

I've opted out from receiving messages from friends sent using 'All my friends' because I'm following my author friends and Lush does notify me whenever they publish a story.
I like the way you make me feel even when I'm nowhere near...
Lurker
0 likes
I save story spamming for when I'm particularly proud of something I've written. I don't send out messages everytime I publish a story.

I generally try to read the stories that other authors spam me with. I don't mind. Sometimes you discover an amazing writer.

I think it's worth it, so long as you don't do it every single time (unless you're awesome.)