Question for you

last reply
18 replies
1.9k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I never went to college but I think I'm pretty smart. I'm just not great at sentence structure and some of the finer points of writing. Would you rather read a story that is hot but may not have great sentence structure, or read a boring or average story that was written really well? I know I get good reviews here so people who read my stories seem to like them. I have 18 more stories to share including my first new story in 16 years, but I will never be good enough in sentence structure or whatever to get posted here.

Was curious about your thoughts.

Thanks,
sindy
0 likes
I prefer well written stories and will overlook a few typos but if you need me to reread a sentence a few times because you chose to not write it well, then I'll pass
0 likes
I find a story hotter if I am not being distracted by errors (I'm a bit of perfectionist when editing my own stuff) but have some toleration for stylistic things like sentence structure. It is more blatant grammar errors and things like writers using "discrete" where they should be using "discreet" that get my goat. If your existing stories are getting past the mods and are getting read, your writing can't be too bad.
0 likes
Quote by seeker4
If your existing stories are getting past the mods and are getting read, your writing can't be too bad.

Exactly.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by sweetsinnndy
I never went to college but I think I'm pretty smart. I'm just not great at sentence structure and some of the finer points of writing. Would you rather read a story that is hot but may not have great sentence structure, or read a boring or average story that was written really well? I know I get good reviews here so people who read my stories seem to like them. I have 18 more stories to share including my first new story in 16 years, but I will never be good enough in sentence structure or whatever to get posted here.

Was curious about your thoughts.

Thanks,
sindy

If the story isn't there, I don't care how good the sentence structure is. I'm not that big on sentence structure, and I still get compliments on my stories.

Bad grammar makes me cringe, but you're not demonstrating any of that here. Also, you don't have to college to tell a good story. You do have to learn, as we all do. No one said that had to be a four year degree though.

"The Punished Nonpartisan" <- Extreme BDSM and humiliation story. Heavy on plot. Served on a plate of political drama with a side of domestic terror. Currently Free download.

Jocelyn the Wicked <- futanari, fantasy fan fic, and some tentacles that escaped the laboratory

Resident Otaku
0 likes
Seriously, if you have a story just get it down. Use something like Grammarly and it will help you. Everyone has their own style too so try to not compare yourself with others. I got an A at GCSE English language but I didn't study it pass that and completely forgot it all. I find practice makes perfect. I started writing at 16, started my current story at 18, stopped writing it because I thought my writing was absolutely awful and I picked it up 9 years later when I had more confidence. I'm not great but I'm getting some good feedback and my stuff submitted back in November is so much different from my most recent submissions.
Rainbow Warrior
0 likes
I'm a grammar Nazi, so I can't read anything without being distracted by every error in spelling, syntax, and punctuation. But if you can write a good story, all you need is an OCD editor like me to make it a great, error-free story.
living dead girl
0 likes
I don't mind a few errors or structure problems so long as its not throughout the entire story itself
the most important thing to me is creativity and the ability to keep me intrigued throughout.

Don't worry over much just write your stories and let your imagination have some fun
you can always find someone nice enough to help you edit and give you more advise on writing also.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by vanessa26
I don't mind a few errors or structure problems so long as its not throughout the entire story itself
the most important thing to me is creativity and the ability to keep me intrigued throughout.

Don't worry over much just write your stories and let your imagination have some fun
you can always find someone nice enough to help you edit and give you more advise on writing also.

I don't mind a few errors or structure problems, as long as it's not throughout the entire story.
The most important things, to me, are creativity and the ability to keep me intrigued throughout.

Don't worry over much. Just write your stories and let your imagination have some fun.
You can always find someone nice enough to help you edit and give you more advice on writing.

You're welcome.
* runs away, laughing *
living dead girl
0 likes
Quote by dlcalguy

I don't mind a few errors or structure problems, as long as it's not throughout the entire story.
The most important things, to me, are creativity and the ability to keep me intrigued throughout.

Don't worry over much. Just write your stories and let your imagination have some fun.
You can always find someone nice enough to help you edit and give you more advice on writing.

You're welcome.
* runs away, laughing *

Since you are sooooo brillant why don't you offer to help her? Hmm ?
(edited )

Also you call spell Advice with an S according to the dictionary ? it also automatically corrects itself to that spelling if I try to spell it with a c
Gravelly-Voiced Fucker
0 likes
Quote by dlcalguy

You're welcome.
* runs away, laughing *

Rude.

To the OP: I don't know the rules of grammar, I just know what sounds right, and I suspect most people are the same way. As Ms. Chaos said, just get it down on paper, don't compare yourself to others, run free and find what your natural style is. Your question was posed well, and you already have published stories, so I doubt you need much help. Have fun writing is my biggest piece of writing advice!
Constant Gardener
0 likes
Quote by wicked_jocelyn

Bad grammar makes me cringe, but you're not demonstrating any of that here.
Also, you don't have to go to college to tell a good story.
You do have to learn, as we all do.
No one said that had to be a four year degree though.

This
The same GQP demanding we move on from January 6th, 2021 is still doing audits of the November 3rd, 2020 election.
Baked Orange
0 likes
Quote by vanessa26

Since you are sooooo brillant why don't you offer to help her? Hmm ?
(edited )

Also you call spell Advice with an S according to the dictionary ? it also automatically corrects itself to that spelling if I try to spell it with a c

Advice is something you give. Advise is something you do.

"I advise you to spread your legs, Vanessa."

"Lovely advice, Alyx, I think I will."

? ?

(I love you, don't hurt me.)

_____

As for me, I'm a stickler about punctuation and spelling. It's hard for me to focus on the story with too many errors. But I do like when a writer finds intriguing ways to be unique, be it made-up words, funny dialogue, or unexpected plot points.
living dead girl
0 likes
Quote by TangerineSky

Advice is something you give. Advise is something you do.

"I advise you to spread your legs, Vanessa."

"Lovely advice, Alyx, I think I will."

? ?

(I love you, don't hurt me.)

_____

As for me, I'm a stickler about punctuation and spelling. It's hard for me to focus on the story with too many errors. But I do like when a writer finds intriguing ways to be unique, be it made-up words, funny dialogue, or unexpected plot points.

When you put it like that....?❤
you literally just gave me a lesson in grammar and did it all sexy ?????

Love you
living dead girl
0 likes
Something i meant to add earlier.

The best thing you can do to get past the grammar stumbling block and worry
Is to get ahold of an editors addition copy of a book.
Several years ago I ended up with one ( sent by mistake )
But in reading it I learned that writers generally fuck up they aren't perfect
That's why editors have jobs ?

Also look through an R.L Stine book and you'll find constant mistakes
yet he's one of the most famous writers out there.
The Linebacker
0 likes
Writing really well must include the ability to make a story entertaining. Good grammar is a major ingredient in doing just that.
Lurker
0 likes
i'll notice (most) errors, but if there minor they don't distract me from the story.

(see what i did their?)

seriously, just work toward improving as a writer. that includes developing the storytelling skill and the technical writing skill. if you can tell an engaging story, i'll overlook the growing pains.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Sentence structure is important because if you get that wrong the meaning of the sentence changes, and the flow as well. Flow is critical to writing good erotica. Fortunately, with practice you get better. Read a story aloud before you submit it. You'll be amazed how many blank spots your brain fills in until you do that.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Send one of your stories to me and I’ll correct your mistakes. Then we can discuss it.