Join the best erotica focused adult social network now
Login

How Do You Get Your Fruit/Veggie Servings for the Day?

last reply
22 replies
2.6k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Raised on Blackroot
0 likes
I'll admit it took me several years as a kid to grow to really start liking veggies. Fruits were never a problem.

Safe to say veggies are fillings and help to curb processed foods with high fat contents, salt, sugars, etc like crackers/chips/bars/etc.

What is your go to method (provided you aren't a vegetarian) to get the full servings for the day?

Do you go out of your way to include veggies in each meal? Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner/Snacks?

Or do you go the cheaters way like I do with fruits and make smoothies and get all 3 servings in one go?

What are you favorite recipes that combine multiple veggies? That's been the hardest for me. Getting all veggies in in a day.
Big-haired Bitch
0 likes
I'm an avid juicer. Most of the recipes I use call for both fruits and veggies, so they usually get knocked out simultaneously. I have tons of recipes, but many of my fave recipes involve kale. Kale is especially good with acidic fruits like oranges and pineapples because the acidic content really sets off and compliments the taste of the kale.

░P░U░S░S░Y░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░

Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
i'm a vegetarian. i know, useless, aren't i? personally, as far as getting most of your veggies in in a day, i find that if you sort of pre-mix up salads - and by salads, i don't mean just lettuce - try this; mixed greens, shredded cabbage, carrots, mushrooms, red onion, shredded broccoli, and peas. sometimes i like to throw apples and dried cranberries in, and i find that it's easier if you make up about 4-5 days worth at a time and put them in ziplock containers in the fridge - that way, when meal time comes around it's ready - otherwise you'll pass, cause you don't feel like making the effort when you just want to just sit down and eat. smile

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Big-haired Bitch
0 likes
Quote by sprite
i'm a vegetarian. i know, useless, aren't i? personally, as far as getting most of your veggies in in a day, i find that if you sort of pre-mix up salads - and by salads, i don't mean just lettuce - try this; mixed greens, shredded cabbage, carrots, mushrooms, red onion, shredded broccoli, and peas. sometimes i like to throw apples and dried cranberries in, and i find that it's easier if you make up about 4-5 days worth at a time and put them in ziplock containers in the fridge - that way, when meal time comes around it's ready - otherwise you'll pass, cause you don't feel like making the effort when you just want to just sit down and eat. smile

This is actually good for smoothies and juicing, as well. It's good to do one green juice a smoothie a day, and I don't have much time in the morning, so I usually pre-wash/slice all of my fruit and veggies for one juice or smoothie and freeze individual servings in small ziploc baggies and throw them in my blender or juicer or magic bullet and head out. You should make it as convenient as possible for yourself, especially if it's not something you're enthusiastic about, otherwise it won't work.

░P░U░S░S░Y░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░

Lurker
0 likes
I detest them and avoid them whenever possible.
Spinach is somewhat edible provided its on a pizza smothered with cheese. Potatoes are good too, that's about it for me. Carnivore.
Alpha Blonde
0 likes
I love all veggies (I can't think of one offhand that I dislike). I don't eat much meat so veggies make up quite a big portion of my daily food intake. Love fruits too.

The suggestions already given are great - I also do the frozen fruit/veggies to throw into smoothies and make plenty of salad ahead of time to use for a few days worth so I don't have to individually cut everything up separate.

I have a juicer but I sometimes to go to this one organic juicebar at lunchtime that serves all these great juiced veggie drinks that they make for you while you wait - sometimes it saves the hassle of cutting things up and the clean up.

You can also look into trying different recipes One of my faves is a spinach salad with spicy mushrooms on top and sliced strawberries - drizzled over with a fig balsamic vinaigrette. It's amazing. You can also toss spinach and other veggies into an omelet or scrambled into eggs. If you BBQ - make chunky veggie skewers alternated with your fave meat or seafood. If all else fails - try indian or thai restaurants - they tend to use a lot of veggies in their dishes and the spices/sauces might make them more palatable.

I steam a lot of things as well - I find it keeps the flavour and colour and makes veggies much tastier - the broccoli is greener, the asparagus is crisper and it's great to steam things like butternut squash (if you add a bit of butter and brown sugar to this, it tastes just like a dessert!).
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by Dancing_Doll

I steam a lot of things as well - I find it keeps the flavour and colour and makes veggies much tastier - the broccoli is greener, the asparagus is crisper and it's great to steam things like butternut squash (if you add a bit of butter and brown sugar to this, it tastes just like a dessert!).

if you're going to cook them instead of eating them raw, yes, steaming is the best way not to cook the nutrients out of them as well as retaining the flavor. highly recommended. smile

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Head Nurse
0 likes
My favorite is wilted lettuce, but I eat a lot of salad. I also stock celery in the fridge for a go to snack.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
For breakfast I eat a large navel orange, some strawberries, banana and porridge. I then consider what I want for dinner in veggie wise. I snack on yoghurt and a piece of fruit during work break.
The Linebacker
0 likes
I usually mix my meals up as meat & vegetable combinations. I eat a lot of fruit, apples, bananas, pears, peaches, grapes, & strawberries especially. Eating raw uncooked veggies usually burns more calories than you intake, therefore is an excellent way for someone to lose weight if they so desire. I have the other problem, trying to keep my weight on, as I run, bicycle, work out, & swim so much.

I often eat rice & veggie combo meals. I have a flat grill on my stove and love to grill the veggies & the rice. They are hot & crunchy! I also like to eat lots of greens such as turnip greens, spinach and I love broccoli that is nice & crunchy. Not too mention nice crunchy pole beans. Of course I don't mind frying some veggies too, fried green tomatoes, fried pickles, fried okra, & fried squash. Yummy!

I read an excellent article in Smithsonian Magazine on how the human body has evolved with the advances of humans. Cooking food is part of the human digestive process, doing much of the work for your body. Cooked food takes much less energy to process and has allowed the human brain to grow and consume a large portion of our calorie intake. It is amazing how much energy the human brain burns. That is why eating uncooked food can help burn off the fat. Go for a few weeks on a diet of uncooked and unprocessed foods, let your body do the work and see that fat come off. The article also stated that a human can literally starve to death eating their fill for uncooked food, so use good sense. Once you've attained the weight you need, then even things out. Also, with fruits & vegetables, ALWAYS, wash them yourself. Do not trust that you bought them pre-packaged or bagged at the grocery store. I purchase a lot of fruit & veggies at farmer's markets, too. I always make sure I thoroughly wash them. Organic food has been shown in studies to have more surface bacteria. All you need to to do is do a good washing and you should be good. Don't mess around with getting ecoli poisoning.

"An apple a day, keeps the doctor away."
— Benjamin Franklin

PS. get naked with your mate and feed each other grapes & strawberries. OR watermelon slices , letting the sweet juices drip all over the fun parts and lick it up.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Here in New Zealand we're lucky with the variety of fruit and veges available all year round. I have fruit trees and vegetable garden so its not a problem to obtain you can't beat the freshness and no other lil buggers have handled it.

I love veges except brussel sprouts evil and vile things eeeek blah. Everything else is fair game. Best way I like to eat a variety apart from salads are stir fry, easy to prepare and dinner is done within 20min. Fruit yep can do the famous fruit or savoury muffins great for a breakfast on the go or as a snack throughout the day ... that's if you bake ... do you bake?

There are lots of recipes out there its just a matter of experimenting giving it ago. If you want to make it fun try a food tasting dinner, where your invited guess bring along a dish with say the same ingredient used etc Soups are great way of getting them in you hot or cold.

Thank god for the ability to cook, and grow my own food ... fresh is best!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I have a couple smoothies a day, plus i have veggies in stirfry or steamed with every meal. In japan our breakfast isnt like american breakfast so i even get veggies at breakfast. Plus those amazing fruit and veggies in a portable squeeze pouch. those things are amazing if im in a hurry!
my newest :)
Cryptic Vigilante
0 likes
I eat:

- Applesauce 200g (with raw oatmeal), morning
- Carrots x3 (large), dinner
- Apple/banana x1, afternoon
- Steamed frozen veggies 250g, supper

Fruit juices and smoothies are excellent for those with a light appetite, but should be avoided in large quantities if your aim is fat loss.

The quickest and most effective way to cook veggies is simply buying frozen veggies and steaming them with a steamer. It only takes 10 min to cook. Steaming is the best cooking method to retain the vitamins in veggies, since they are heated rather than cooked/burned. Also, frozen veggies are healthier than raw veggies because they are frozen right after being harvested ; no preservatives.

Another great snack you can eat in front of the TV is a dip of salsa. Personally I use green peppers to dip and simply buy cans of salsa. This is very low caloric ; you can eat it until you're full without a single worry.

As a comparison, calorie wise, you would need 3 large peppers to equate a single blank slice of bread.

Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Dancing_Doll
I love all veggies (I can't think of one offhand that I dislike). I don't eat much meat so veggies make up quite a big portion of my daily food intake. Love fruits too.

The suggestions already given are great - I also do the frozen fruit/veggies to throw into smoothies and make plenty of salad ahead of time to use for a few days worth so I don't have to individually cut everything up separate.

I have a juicer but I sometimes to go to this one organic juicebar at lunchtime that serves all these great juiced veggie drinks that they make for you while you wait - sometimes it saves the hassle of cutting things up and the clean up.

You can also look into trying different recipes One of my faves is a spinach salad with spicy mushrooms on top and sliced strawberries - drizzled over with a fig balsamic vinaigrette. It's amazing. You can also toss spinach and other veggies into an omelet or scrambled into eggs. If you BBQ - make chunky veggie skewers alternated with your fave meat or seafood. If all else fails - try indian or thai restaurants - they tend to use a lot of veggies in their dishes and the spices/sauces might make them more palatable.

I really like this post because it not only shows the meaning of a real "healthy appetite" for all of us in a good sense, but also because Doll truly enjoys doing it that way. It also is even great for diabetics like me, and choosing this kind of diet myself has allowed me to live far more fully than most diabetics ever dream of. As for the effects of healthy diets on the many lovely women on this site like Doll, eating healthy speaks for itself doesn't it?!

Take this recipe she gives that just made my mouth water when I read it:
You can also look into trying different recipes One of my faves is a spinach salad with spicy mushrooms on top and sliced strawberries - drizzled over with a fig balsamic vinaigrette.

Sorry to have made such an example of you Dancing Doll but your post was just so damned good!
Lurker
0 likes
Just a note on juicing fruit, it's actually pretty bad for you. For example, to get a glass of apple juice from a juicer takes like 5 apples, and what the juicer does is take out the fibre and you're left with the sugar - fructose. So it's a high insulin intake, sugar of five apples to be exact. But if you were to eat the whole apple, then you're not going to eat 5 apples. Plus the fibre will protect the bodies organs from insulin.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I find it difficult to get all the servings of fruits and vegetables I should have. I am on a doctor recommended low fiber diet due to colon cancer (survivor and cancer free so far) and other digestive track problems.
I always have a banana for breakfast with a glass of 1% milk. I have some other fruits during the day but I must have something that is a binder such as low fat cottage cheese. I could eat a pound of Swiss cheese in one sitting and it would not have any binding effect on me.

However I did like the reminder to steam cook vegetables. I also will be taking some other suggestions from this forum question.

Thank you all.
Raised on Blackroot
0 likes
Quote by Hero_
Just a note on juicing fruit, it's actually pretty bad for you. For example, to get a glass of apple juice from a juicer takes like 5 apples, and what the juicer does is take out the fibre and you're left with the sugar - fructose. So it's a high insulin intake, sugar of five apples to be exact. But if you were to eat the whole apple, then you're not going to eat 5 apples. Plus the fibre will protect the bodies organs from insulin.

The skin is the best part on apples too. Well, to me anyone. Unless it is apple pie, I want the skins on my apples.
Bonnet Flaunter
0 likes
Great advice from everyone here. Just as an additional note, homemade soup (infinite variety!) is a great way of upping your veggie intake in the cold winter months.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I put onions, various bell peppers, black olives and mushrooms in my scrambled eggs for breakfast. Sometimes I add a bit of tomato sauce and shredded cheese as a topping. I call it Pizza Omelette. Sometimes I do a breakfast smoothie: Strawberries, blueberries, a small peach, a green apple, half a banana, and a handful of spinach. Or oatmeal with honey, cinnamon, pecans and dried cranberries. I like to add fresh fruit to oatmeal. Strawberries, blueberries and peaches work well.

For lunch I have a big green salad with grilled chicken. Or a turkey sandwich with sprouts, tomato and avocado and a bowl of veggie soup: Vegetable stock, 2 cans red kidney beans, 1 cup each: zucchini, carrots, celery, onion, bell peppers, corn, peas, potatoes, green beans etc. If you put enough veggies in it, and season it with herbs, you don't need meat or pasta as fillers.

As a snack I cut up a raw veggie plate and nosh on it while I'm writing: Broccoli, carrots, celery, cucumber, red bell pepper, mushrooms, and a pickle. (Pickles will kill your hunger, so they make good snacks.)

For dinner I always do at least two to three servings of veggies I like: Corn on the cob, carrots, green beans, peas, potatoes, squash etc. as sides to go with whatever main dish.

Desserts: Fruit salad, frozen mangoes, a fruit smoothie or baked apples.
Rainbow Warrior
0 likes
I load up in the morning with fruit... blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, bananas, and craisins or dried apricots, either plain or mixed with low-fat granola, nuts and yogurt. Also drink o.j. every morning.

For lunch... a spinach salad or mixed greens, apple (organic!) Don't buy non-organic apples! In season: peaches, pears, plums... easy to take to work! I also cut and pack broccoli, carrot and celery sticks, and red peppers to munch on

Dinner... I steam or stir-fry mixed veggies: broccoli, onions, carrots, red peppers, spinach... Always have a bag of grated cabbage on hand for cole-slaw. I also love to make soups loaded with veggies. Sweet potatoes and butternut squash is also loaded with vitamin A.

I usually get 5-7 servings of veggies a day.
Υπηρέτης της Αφροδίτης
0 likes
Quote by BethanyFrasier
I load up in the morning with fruit... blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, bananas, and craisins or dried apricots, either plain or mixed with low-fat granola, nuts and yogurt. Also drink o.j. every morning.

For lunch... a spinach salad or mixed greens, apple (organic!) Don't buy non-organic apples! In season: peaches, pears, plums... easy to take to work! I also cut and pack broccoli, carrot and celery sticks, and red peppers to munch on

Dinner... I steam or stir-fry mixed veggies: broccoli, onions, carrots, red peppers, spinach... Always have a bag of grated cabbage on hand for cole-slaw. I also love to make soups loaded with veggies. Sweet potatoes and butternut squash is also loaded with vitamin A.

I usually get 5-7 servings of veggies a day.[/quot

Must keep you regular then lol
In the world's harsh wear and tear many a very sincere attachment is slowly obliterated.

Είμαι ταξιδιώτης τόσο στο χρόνο όσο και στο διάστημα
Rainbow Warrior
0 likes
Quote by Melissa999
Quote by BethanyFrasier

I usually get 5-7 servings of veggies a day.[/quot

Must keep you regular then lol

Keeps me at 112 lbs.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by BethanyFrasier

Keeps me at 112 lbs.

Now that is impressive Bethany. Really impressive.
Head Nurse
0 likes
lately Ive been stocking frozen spinach. Handfuls in my eggs are delicious and really up my veggie intake.