last reply
29 replies
2.3k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Have you read a good one lately?

Also tell us why are you recommending it.
Had a dream I was king, I woke up still king!!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
The Hour I First Believed by Wally Lamb.

It is a very very good book. Well written and totally draws you into the story. However it is very very dark and emotionally draining. Not recommended for anyone already in a depressed mood.

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. Socrates
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I can recommend a series. The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan. 13 of 14 books are out and its a epic story both in length and content. Its Fantasy and set in the period of LOTR. I think the shortest book is somewhere between 300 and 400 pages, the longest if memory serves was around the 2000 mark. One of the things i really enjoy about them is the unique world the books take place in and the races found therein. Also the character development is detailed and things are very well explained. I can't really describe the books in a way that would due them justice but I still recommend them if you have the drive to read them all.
Lurker
0 likes
How to Win Friends and Influence People
Weaver of Words
0 likes
I love reading the Eve Dallas in death series by J.D. Robb. Fiction, but naughty fun
Lurker
0 likes
Devil In The White City
Erik Larson

set in world fair chicago, about a serial killer that goes on a kililng spree and how it all winds up resolving.
Historical , well put together and extremely accurate as far as historical sites and activities for the world fair in that time.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Catch 22 by Joseph Heller it even added a phrase to the language. Like all good authors Heller "shows" rather than "tells" Be great if a few more people get the message.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
My favorite book THE HOLY BIBLE
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Purple Panties by Zane
Clumeleon
0 likes
I'm in the middle of Volume 1 of The Human Revolution by Daisaku Ikeda.

It's very much geared to towards people who practice Nichiren Daishonin Buddhism but it's a very good read and a great historical insight into post-war (WW2) Japan.
Lurker
0 likes
the count of Monte Cristo by Alexander Dumas.

i love this book it is an historical fiction. it is quite a long book but it is exciting an thrilling just like it was when i first read it ten years ago.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I must agree with Sholom, The Count of Monte Cristo is excellent. By the end of it you feel like you've known the characters for years and that you've become a part of their lives and they, a part of yours.

For something totally different try reading one of Ann Radcliffe's beautifully written Regency era books. Radcliffe was the best selling author of her day and influenced contemporaries such as Herman Melville, the Brontes and Jane Austen. 'The Mysteries of Udolpho' (1794) in particular is her masterpiece. It is the supreme gothic masterwork and the great, great grand daddy of everything that followed it by Mr Stoker, Ms Rice, Ms Rowling and Ms Meyer.
Lurker
0 likes
Gerald's Game by Stephen King. BDSM gone wrong, damned horrifying and somewhat disturbingly sexy. I wrote a book report on this and suffice to say my teacher wasn't best pleased when I first told her that I was going to do so. She was, however, very pleased with the report. She'd obviously read the book and knew what was in store. Perhaps she was just a little concerned due to the downright depravity of it all. I'll be honest, I'd recommend anything by Stephen King because he's just a master of his craft and just one author that I admire very much.
Lurker
0 likes
Read the trilogy 50 shades of grey.
Love them. I am now starting book 3.
Lurker
0 likes

Surrender The Dark by L.A. Banks
Nerdzilla
0 likes
Right now I'm reading Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
Lurker
0 likes
I've started re-reading the earlier Clive Barker novels. He's imaginative, creative, and writes with style and verve, and a LOT of darkness. I'm re-reading The Great and Secret Show now and then will start Galilee

Lurker
0 likes
Quote by kaikai012

That one sounds pretty cool.
The Right Rev of Lush
0 likes
Freedom by Jonathan Franzen
--One of the finest, most readable post-WWII American novels.

11-22-63 by Stephen King
--King at his (non-horror) best.

The Discworld series by Terry Pratchett
--Pity the poor fool who doesn't like Discworld books.

which reminds me

Fool by Christopher Moore,
--A bawdy, witty, LOL take-off of King Lear, honest.

RUMPLATIONS: AwesomeHonky Tonk and Cyber Bar
Home of the Lush "IN" crowd: indecent, intoxicated, and insolvent
a place to gossip, share news, talk sports, pimp a story, piss & moan, or just grab a drink. Check it out.

Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of, but do it in private and wash your hands afterwords. -- ROBERT HEINLEIN
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
[img][/img]just started this triolgy and its hot and steamy with some twist.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
just started this trilogy and its hot and steamy fithy shades of gray
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
It's a old one, and I have read it a million times since 5th grade, but, Hatchet by Gary Paulsen. It's a great book, I know it's not a kinky book like a lot of people put, but I enjoy reading all kinds of books. I could name a million books I enjoyed
Lurker
0 likes

I read through the whole ten books of the Black Company series, and I rather enjoyed the somewhat dry tale in the bleak world Glen Cook describes. Enjoyed the characters Croaker and Murgen and the wizards Goblin & One Eye (they would fight as to why I listed them in this order). Quite a nice read.

I found the Malazan Books of the Fallen an interesting read once I got into them. Have to say I enjoyed these two book series much more than I did the Wheel of Time or the Ice & Fire series.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
If you want a book that'll make you think:
The Lymond Chronicles. The first book is called the Game of Kings.
It's historical fiction, each book is set in a different part of Europe.

If you want a book with a deep plot and action:
The Sword of Truth. The first book is called Wizard's First Rule, I read the second book first but went back and really enjoyed the first book too.

If you want a book that'll turn you on, click the upper left hand corner of this website. That should take you to the homepage of Lush.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
The Celestine Prophecy by James Redfield

This book changed the way I think/thought. It was given to me to read with the instruction to pass it on to someone else once I had finished. I did pass it on, and asked the same of that person, to pass it on. I sometimes wonder where it could be now and whether or not it has changed others along the way.
I found the actual writing to be a bit, amateurish, but the message was crystal clear, for me.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Any thing by Mark Twain