Join the best erotica focused adult social network now
Login

Writing "LITTER"... (For people who like reading this stuff!!!)

last reply
31 replies
2.2k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Lurker
0 likes
This is "Litter".

https://www.lushstories.com/stories/love-poems/litter.aspx

I wrote in, "First Take" in about 15 minutes. (It hasn't been re-edited and it probably should be...) It's VERY imperfect. But it HITS.

I write WELL about Lost Love, I think. (It's something most of us know a lot about!)

A LOT of people ask me, "WHO is it about?" The answer to that is really everyone and no-one, in fact. All your experiences, good and bad, shape you and remain with you in life and art.

My background as a writer of VERSE comes from a SONGWRITING perspective. I'm constantly looking for the MUSICALITY AND INHERENT RHYTHM in the actual SOUND of the words themselves. Much LESS what they mean in terms of initially putting them on the page.

Very often the MEANING of a chosen word of phrase comes LATER to my consciousness. Example: "As Cruel As A Cross..." (Because "A Cross" is surely a symbol of hope, religion, love etc...) And it is. (It's also an instrument of torture and death.) Was I CONSCIOUS of that initially? NOT A FUCKING BIT!!! I do this A LOT!!! I write the line FIRST, so it fits. (Like a jigsaw puzzle...) ONLY LATER am I aware of what I've put down.

This kind of FASCINATES me in that, more often than not, I'n UNAWARE of these kinds of nuances at the time of writing. IF I WERE AWARE OF IT, I'd be CLEVERER!!! (But I'm honestly not...)

"As Subtle As A Gunshot" is an easily understood metaphor/comparison. "As Cruel As A Cross" isn't I don't think. Which one is the cleverer phrase? The SECOND one, I'm sure. The one I DIDN'T think about. Perversely, the line, "From Freezing Pillar To Frigid Post" was a line I DID THINK about. But ACTUALLY, it's rather contrived and obvious, isn't it???

(I do LIKE the phrase "Tear About, Stumbling Like A Ghost..." because of the DUAL meaning of 'tear' AND the fake-echo of 'ghost' and 'lost'!!! Which I DID CONSIDER!!! (SMILES!)

All my life I've been surrounded by poetry, prose and music of all kinds and indeed cultures. I think in an odd way, such experience sort of SEEPS into your unconscious. You DON'T KNOW it's there but it is. It's kind of like SPEAKING A LANGUAGE, in that it has style, form and rules, but you don't THINK about those factors as you simply TALK.

I think being IRISH helps, too. As well as a HUGE oral and musical tradition stretching back centuries, we don't in fact NATURALLY THINK in English. (Now, that's a simplification but what I mean is that the STILL EXTANT echoes of the Irish language SHAPE the way we think, speak and write.) So we have to try MUCH HARDER to kind of TRANSLATE what it is we want to convey into a more UNDERSTANDABLE accepted form of PROPER ENGLISH. Invariably, even in attempting that, THOSE "IRISH" ECHOES remain.

It pleases and FRUSTRATES me in equal measure when a poem like "LITTER" seems to touch hearts. (Pleasing, for obvious reasons, FRUSTRATING because I don't know how I DID it and can't promise to do the same again!!!) *SMILES WRYLY!*

Final point. When I write SONGS, (or indeed wrote comedy for live performance...) they DEVELOP in the PERFORMING of them. It's quite an ORGANIC process, you FUCK WITH the TUNE or the line to see where it goes if you do that!!! With poetry YOU CAN'T!!! It's THERE! That's IT! You CAN re-edit, but I find, (at least with my own stuff...) the more I FIDDLE WITH IT (?) the WORSE it becomes!!!

In my earliest performances as a SINGER, I would sometimes say in intro-ing a song, "This one is about..." My GENIUS musician friend Mark took me aside and said, "NEVER tell them what YOU THINK it's about. They'll KNOW what it's about for themselves..."

XX SF
Lurker
0 likes
You want to know litter! I show you litter; reams of litter. I hold the patent on patterns of litter. I have crapped more shit then a dog with diarrhea. Hopefully I will write a better a charade soon.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by ChuckEPoo
Well Steph, your litter beats the hell out of anything I've produced. You're obviously a very accomplished author.

(But WHAT I'M TRYING TO CONVEY is VERY OFTEN that's an ACCIDENT!!!)

I don't DECIDE I'm good???!!!

(You BUGGERS do!!!)

I PUT IT OUT and I'll TALK about HOW I put it out!!!

*I WISH MORE PEOPLE TALKED ABOUT THE PROCESS!!!*

Because I WANT TO LEARN HOW OTHER PEOPLE DO IT!!!

(Tell us...) I'd LOVE to see AUTHORS here EXPLAIN how THEY DO what they do...

xx SF
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by stephanie

(You BUGGERS do!!!)

(Tell us...)

xx SF

Cleo says she just sleeps a lot and then writes stuff right before she cleans herself. does the help?

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Lurker
0 likes
Quote by sprite

Cleo says she just sleeps a lot and then writes stuff right before she cleans herself. does the help?

*KISS!*

I'm SERIOUS... I WANT people to TALK about HOW they do it... Nobody ever does!!! *WHY???*

We SHOULD be helping each other and EXPLORING the ART...

There IS a UNIVERSITY/COLLEGE here...

(Let's EXPLORE that...)

xx SF

EXPLODE the IDEA!!!

I COULD NEVER WRITE LIKE YOU!!!

(Yes you CAN... BECAUSE HERE'S HOW I DID!!!)

See???

It's EASY!!!!!!! (Obviously it ISN'T...) But SHARING THE PROCESS as ARTISTS helps US ALL I feel... It's NOT ROCKET SCIENCE...

But we SHOULD be helping each other in an AVAILABLE way to SIMPLIFY the process...

*TELL ME WHY YOUR POEM/ PIECE GOT EP IN YOUR OPINION???*

(We'll LEARN from that...)

SHARE YOUR TALENT!
xx SF
Chuckanator
0 likes
Quote by stephanie

*KISS!*

I'm SERIOUS... I WANT people to TALK about HOW they do it... Nobody ever does!!! *WHY???*

We SHOULD be helping each other and EXPLORING the ART...

There IS a UNIVERSITY/COLLEGE here...

(Let's EXPLORE that...)

xx SF

EXPLODE the IDEA!!!

I COULD NEVER WRITE LIKE YOU!!!

(Yes you CAN... BECAUSE HERE'S HOW I DID!!!)

See???

It's EASY!!!!!!! (Obviously it ISN'T...) But SHARING THE PROCESS as ARTISTS helps US ALL I feel... It's NOT ROCKET SCIENCE...

But we SHOULD be helping each other in an AVAILABLE way to SIMPLIFY the process...

(We'll LEARN from that...)

SHARE YOUR TALENT!
xx SF

Ok ok. My process doesn't follow a certain path. Sometimes I have an idea and will jot it down then develope details of the plot, names, mutitiple twists and endings on a story board. Other times I feel inspired, just start writing and let it develope. In both cases I edit edit edit.

Other times I'm like Cleo. Sleep a lot and write the dream.
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by stephanie

Cuz it wuz gud?

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

The Linebacker
0 likes
Quote by stephanie

(You BUGGERS do!!!)

(Tell us...) I'd LOVE to see AUTHORS here EXPLAIN how THEY DO what they do...

xx SF

I bet the process is different for all of us. I haven't written an EP poem yet, but have a few RRs. I'm an amateur musician/songwriter so a lot of my poems are songs. Those were mostly written using a guitar, pen and paper. Sometimes the words seem to swirl in my head while listening to music, usually in the car. I find myself digging a pen out of the console and writing on whatever is available, receipts, fast food bags, etc. when I come to a stop at a red light. I have written entire poems in the car, thanks to traffic congestion.

Stories are different. I get an idea for a plot/story line and usually think on it for a few days. Often I think of a title during that time. Of course once I sit in front of the computer and start writing, the story grows and might take me somewhere I didn't see it going. They story builds as you write, the action unfurls in your head. It's just there, the work is carving out the right words.

I've heard authors say you can't come up with a title first and then write a story for the title. Hmmm... Actually, you can and I have. And received an EP for them. To me that's very similar to writing a story for a competition. You are writing to the confines of a theme. That is no different than writing to a predetermined title.

I have days, maybe weeks where I am void of anything creative, then something inside that I can't explain seems to click on and its like an energy that fills you with ideas and motivation.
Fancy Schmancy
0 likes
You can do anything that happens. Period. If I think too much, it might go away.

Although I like reading this thread.
In-House Sapiosexual
0 likes
Steph, isn’t this like the umpteenth thread where you plead with people to tell you about how they write? You are such a voyeur. But, we all are. We pay to have people tell us. I get paid to talk about the why and how of other writers. Reflecting on that wealth of information when it comes to my writing process just frustrates the hell out of me. Everyone always wants to discuss “writing process”. Then, no one really discusses it. You talk around it and you talk of it as if it is a separate thing that can be wrapped and gifted. You may talk about what you did, but it doesn’t mean that’s what you are going to do. This leaves the listener unsatisfied and examining self. Self-examination is good. So, here I am in another one of your threads. (I know you gave me a warning last time, but I'm not scared of you. I'm scared of Sprite.)

I think there is the way you think it should be done, the way you wish that it was done and what actually happens. When I say “what actually happens”, I’m not talking about the collection of words “you” decide to call a poem or the half written masterpiece that is waiting for that next swoop of genius for completion. I’m talking about when you finish adding that last word or space or letter and you know it is complete. Yes, that moment when you know, and because of some false respect for humbleness you can try to act like you don’t know all you want, it is poetry. That moment when your fingers were moving, words were flying and you were not only somewhere else but someone else—yet still, you were more you than ever. I think that when that happens, you can’t really explain it. The reason why it can’t be explained is because you did not do it the way that you thought it should be done, the way you wished that it was done and there is no sense to how it was actually done. You are either going to sound like the writers that irritate the hell out of you: “It just came to me, I wrote it and it was perfect”. Or, you are going to sound like the slightly obsessive compulsive over achiever: “I had a concept, I plotted, I devised, I wrote and I edited until it was legitimate.” Your writing process is as individual as you are at that moment in time. When that poem that is pure poetry comes to you, it generally shocks the hell out of you too. It is a culmination of what you are, consumed, experienced, felt, heard, breathed in at the moment each letter hits the page and tumbles into its specific position. Each poem has its own process. You can review it and backtrack. You can say that’s what you are going to do next time because it worked so well this time. The only thing is, it will not have the same outcome. That’s why someone can perfectly copy a master piece of art and another person can look at it and say it is just a copy. Each brushstroke contains a moment that can’t be recaptured.

We crave to know how the ones that do it get it done. We read everything we can get our hands on and listen intently in hopes that it will give us that moment. There is nothing like the high you feel right after that moment passes and you read over what is left. All you can say is “DAMN”. Then there is the purity of aftershock. That’s when someone besides yourself sincerely echoes that “DAMN”. Then you immediately start chasing that high again and fighting off that awful, irritating ache. It is an ache that whispers the fact that the moment may never come again.

I could be just speaking for myself and trying to justify my confusion by using the word you. I’m also typing this up on my iPhone. Later on someone may complain about something I’ve said and I’m just going to declare in disgust, “That damn auto-correct!” Why? Because tomorrow I may feel differently.

Was I supposed to comment on your poem?

When I grow up, I want to be like Cleo.
? A True Story ?
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by avrgblkgrl
Steph, isn’t this like the umpteenth thread where you plead with people to tell you about how they write? You are such a voyeur. But, we all are. We pay to have people tell us. I get paid to talk about the why and how of other writers. Reflecting on that wealth of information when it comes to my writing process just frustrates the hell out of me. Everyone always wants to discuss “writing process”. Then, no one really discusses it. You talk around it and you talk of it as if it is a separate thing that can be wrapped and gifted. You may talk about what you did, but it doesn’t mean that’s what you are going to do. This leaves the listener unsatisfied and examining self. Self-examination is good. So, here I am in another one of your threads. (I know you gave me a warning last time, but I'm not scared of you. I'm scared of Sprite.)

I think there is the way you think it should be done, the way you wish that it was done and what actually happens. When I say “what actually happens”, I’m not talking about the collection of words “you” decide to call a poem or the half written masterpiece that is waiting for that next swoop of genius for completion. I’m talking about when you finish adding that last word or space or letter and you know it is complete. Yes, that moment when you know, and because of some false respect for humbleness you can try to act like you don’t know all you want, it is poetry. That moment when your fingers were moving, words were flying and you were not only somewhere else but someone else—yet still, you were more you than ever. I think that when that happens, you can’t really explain it. The reason why it can’t be explained is because you did not do it the way that you thought it should be done, the way you wished that it was done and there is no sense to how it was actually done. You are either going to sound like the writers that irritate the hell out of you: “It just came to me, I wrote it and it was perfect”. Or, you are going to sound like the slightly obsessive compulsive over achiever: “I had a concept, I plotted, I devised, I wrote and I edited until it was legitimate.” Your writing process is as individual as you are at that moment in time. When that poem that is pure poetry comes to you, it generally shocks the hell out of you too. It is a culmination of what you are, consumed, experienced, felt, heard, breathed in at the moment each letter hits the page and tumbles into its specific position. Each poem has its own process. You can review it and backtrack. You can say that’s what you are going to do next time because it worked so well this time. The only thing is, it will not have the same outcome. That’s why someone can perfectly copy a master piece of art and another person can look at it and say it is just a copy. Each brushstroke contains a moment that can’t be recaptured.

We crave to know how the ones that do it get it done. We read everything we can get our hands on and listen intently in hopes that it will give us that moment. There is nothing like the high you feel right after that moment passes and you read over what is left. All you can say is “DAMN”. Then there is the purity of aftershock. That’s when someone besides yourself sincerely echoes that “DAMN”. Then you immediately start chasing that high again and fighting off that awful, irritating ache. It is an ache that whispers the fact that the moment may never come again.

I could be just speaking for myself and trying to justify my confusion by using the word you. I’m also typing this up on my iPhone. Later on someone may complain about something I’ve said and I’m just going to declare in disgust, “That damn auto-correct!” Why? Because tomorrow I may feel differently.

Was I supposed to comment on your poem?

When I grow up, I want to be like Cleo.

not every poem can be used
to wrap fresh tuna in
some are meant for the litter box

Cleo el Gato

In-House Sapiosexual
0 likes
Quote by sprite

to wrap fresh tuna in

Cleo el Gato

See! Cleo is brilliant.
I shall never write again.

? A True Story ?
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by avrgblkgrl

See! Cleo is brilliant.
I shall never write again.

Cleo says, if you don't, she'll piss all over your house.

In-House Sapiosexual
0 likes
Quote by sprite

Cleo says, if you don't, she'll piss all over your house.

I stand corrected. Nothing says I Luv you quite like the threat of a good house spraying. I'm honored. ♥

Now I'm scared of Cleo too!!
? A True Story ?
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by avrgblkgrl

I stand corrected. Nothing says I Luv you quite like the threat of a good house spraying. I'm honored. ♥

Now I'm scared of Cleo too!!

you don't know the half of it. i'm terrified of her. you think that i'm a bad ass... *shudders*

Scarlet Seductress
0 likes
Quote by sprite

to wrap fresh tuna in

Cleo el Gato

Not my favourite piece by Cleo, but close. smile

Nudge

Nudge
Nudge nudge
Nudge nudge nudge nudge nudge
Nudge
Your glass just shattered on the floor.

- Cleo el Gato
Lurker
0 likes
Some intelligent and aware people here responding eloquently and educationally to the spirit of my initial post. Thank you!

xx SF

(Others not quite so much...)

I know which I prefer.
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by stephanie

Some intelligent and aware people here responding eloquently and educationally to the spirit of my initial post. Thank you!

xx SF

(Others not quite so much...)

I know which I prefer.

Cleo's poems!

Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by Liz

Not my favourite piece by Cleo, but close. smile

Nudge

Nudge
Nudge nudge
Nudge nudge nudge nudge nudge
Nudge
Your glass just shattered on the floor.

- Cleo el Gato

she actually will sit on the coffee table, look me straight in the eye, and casually put her paw out and push my glass off the table. it'd be cute if i wasn't so damn infuriating.

Kate: and you just let her do that?

Rachel: well, yeah. if i don't, she tortures me all night. me, btw, not you. you, she lets sleep. you have no idea, do you?

Kate: you're totally pussy whipped, you know.

Rachel: yep.

Lurker
0 likes
Oooops!

*NOTHING TO SEE HERE!!!*

xx SF
Normal Adjacent
0 likes
It's a process no more
no less.

For some it's easy, thoughts just
vomited onto the page.

Like a fur ball coughed up on the bed.
Watch now my human rage.

Examining can diminish it somehow.
Best to just relax and go with the flow.

Not spending too much time,
pondering the how and why.

Put down the pencil or pen
Turn off the computer now and again.

Do take time to admire and
marvel at your creations

Honing the words,
edit your mess and carry on.

But now is not the time
we need our catnip fix.

Owner sprinkle it now
or your creations we'll
delete.

We'll blame it on the dog
you know we know how.

Hannibal (with an assist from Apollo)
Gill's fantastical, funny, furry, feline friends
Scarlet Seductress
0 likes
Quote by stephanie

The process of writing a poem for me is quite a fluid thing. I don't sit down and think, 'Right, time to write a poem'. I wait until I feel inspired and let the idea come to me naturally. That initial spark of inspiration could be anything really. Dark storm clouds. A couple holding hands in the park. A beautiful sunset. That point of inspiration then becomes a theme which I flesh out into a scene.

If I decide to write a rhyming quatrain, for example, then I start by scribbling down a list of words associated with my scene. Working with the storm clouds (read: lost love) idea for a moment, some associations could be: bitter, bleak, brisk, dark, desolate, gloom, lonely, winter, etc... You can see where this is going.

My next step would be to start to give it some structure and form the stanzas. That means crafting meaningful lines of poetry using my list of words and giving them some context. I'm a huge believer in the use of similes and metaphor in poetry. They allow you to exaggerate a thought or feeling well beyond its normal perception.

These lines then get reworked over and over until the meter makes it easy to read, and all of the fat has been trimmed away. Poetry is about distillation - taking sentences and filtering them down to their most powerful and expressive form.

Finally, you want the reader to experience your work the way you intended. The best way to do this is to use punctuation. Have them pause when you want them to pause! Turn a simple reading into an experience. It will make your poetry more memorable, but also makes it flow more effortlessly. A poem that is hard to read is not a good poem.

An example of the above could be something like this:

All of the warmth had leaked from the world,
Leaving naught but a desolate stage.
As bleak as winter, as lonely as death,
And as joyless as a solitary cage.

This is how I do it.

Liz x
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by LaylaJune
Confession: This happened to me with the poem I wrote for you. I did not realize, until you commented, that "Lushery" could have been a play on "Lechery." I almost told you that, and then decided not to , thinking: well, hell - I look pretty clever. Now, of course, I have come clean. Sigh.

https://www.lushstories.com/forum/yaf_postst44738_There-is-ALWAYS-somebody-SMARTER-than-you-by-which-I-mean-me.aspx

*BUT ISN'T THAT THE TRICK!!!*

What YOU WRITE is NOT NECESSARILY what I READ...

(At least not EXACTLY!!!)

And I LOVE THAT... (I love that we depend on THE READER to tell us what we write...)

You WERE pretty CLEVER because YOU MADE ME THINK!!!

It DOES NOT MATTER WHAT YOU MEANT...

("Don't tell THEM what it MEANS...*)

They'll FEEL it, HEAR IT, and work it out for themselves...

(READERS will OFTEN amaze you...)

xx SF
Lurker
0 likes

Standing now and turning a long fingered page,
All of my moments caught up in a whirl?
Barely able to catch my breath...
Encompassing erudite rage...

It would have been much quicker...
If you had said it was just a whirl...
If you had said you were not my girl...
If you had said "I Am Not You're Gorgeous Flighty Shining Beauty Star!"

And even now I wonder who you are?

So far... Late bar... You do KNOW I never think of you these days...

xx SF

(THAT'S HOW YOU WRITE!!!)
Short Arse Brit
0 likes
Quote by stephanie

xx SF

There was a young woman from Ealing
Who had a peculiar feeling
So she laid on her back, had a quick snack
Ferrero rocher always gets her pussy creaming

(THATS HOW YOU WRITE )
The Duchess of Tart

Please check out my new story, co-written with the amazing Wilful.

https://www.lushstories.com/stories/straight-sex/long-time-coming.aspx

And my latest poem, The Temptation.

https://www.lushstories.com/stories/erotic-poems/the-temptation.aspx
Prolific Writer
0 likes
Quote by stephanie

xx SF

This is a beautiful poem....

Xo
Scarlet Seductress
0 likes
Quote by stephanie

No, that's how you write. I stick to the rhyming scheme. smile

Steph: "DON'T SASS ME, BUTTON!!!"

I liked it in a freestyle, taking it off-road, colouring outside of the lines kinda way.

"Encompassing erudite rage" - this was good!

L xx
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Liz

I liked it in a freestyle, taking it off-road, colouring outside of the lines kinda way.

L xx

I'm a style-free, colouring the road, taking it off-line kinda writer...

(You are SO ADORABLE and I SWEAR I'm NOT PATRONIZING you!!! You KNOW I think you're one of the best talents here... But I honestly write some lines and think, 'Lizzie will LOVE that!!!')

Now, IF I COULD WRITE A WHOLE FUCKING THING YOU LIKED THAT'D BE SOMETHING!!! But I haven't done that yet!

However... Quite honestly, I'm always DEEPLY FLATTERED AND HUMBLED when someone as talented as you deigns to comment kindly on my work. I'm TWICE your age and I've half your ability.

xx SF

Liz: "You are three times my age..."

Me: "F U C K Y O U "