Favourite guitar effects pedal?

last reply
176 replies
18.6k views
1 watcher
0 likes
Scarlet Seductress
0 likes
I was having a jam with a buddy over the weekend when he produced his pride and joy, a Korg Miku Stomp.

I'd never heard of 'Hatsune Miku' before (a Japanese animated character who looks like a 16-year-old girl with long, turquoise hair). She is a music sensation in the Far East and has sell-out concerts all over the place. Apparently, they project her image onto a stage set like a hologram. Her voice is a computer synthesized sampling of a real person named Saki Fujita.

The effects pedal maps that vocalizing effect to your guitar producing hilarious results. I fell about laughing whilst playing with this!

Although I don't think I'd ever buy one, the novelty would surely wear off fairly quickly, I did start to wonder what guitar effect pedals everyone else enjoys. Do you have a favorite?

Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
Sounds like an interesting pedal, I play mostly acoustic stuff so the only pedal I use is a Hardwire CR-7 Stereo chorus, I like and use their polyphonic tuner also.
Scarlet Seductress
0 likes
Not as many guitar lovers on Lush as I thought, lol.

I've just added a Digitech Polara to my pedal board and I absolutely love it.

The Linebacker
0 likes
I like this one, VFE Blues King.

The Linebacker
0 likes
This is a good one for playing country music. Love to play me some country licks. The old style authentic, boot kicking stuff.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Love my BOSS digital delay for so many things, and my Cry Baby.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Liz
Not as many guitar lovers on Lush as I thought, lol.

I've just added a Digitech Polara to my pedal board and I absolutely love it.

I don't use many pedals these days. Back in the analog days, My favorite was a DoD eight band Eq for too boost without changing tone (better IMO than a volume pedal. Today I have a Vox Multi effects unit that I use without the amp modeling for the most part. the tube (valve) boost gives a very open tone. I don't like the time effects on it much though. The new Seymour Duncan Chorus looks very good.
Scarlet Seductress
0 likes
Quote by Regnadkcin
The new Seymour Duncan Chorus looks very good.

I've heard Joe Bonamassa uses one of those Seymour Duncan Catalina Chorus pedals. Not sure I could afford to drop £250 on one though, lol. I use a Corona Chorus by TC Electronics.

I was debating picking up a classic Ibanez Tube Screamer TS9 or TS808 the other day and I saw a YouTube review of a Chinese 'copy' which was actually pretty fantastic sounding. Whereas a TS9 will set you back circa £120 and a TS808 reissue about £175, I just picked up this pedal for £12 including shipping from Alibaba.com!

Just waiting on delivery now. Can't wait to plug it in and give it a go.

Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Adventure Audio Siamese Screamer. never leave home without it.

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Scarlet Seductress
0 likes
Quote by Regnadkcin
I had a TS9 but it died not long after I got it. Let me know how the Alibaba version works out.

It sounds okay. It has a bit of an unusual hiss that might just be something loose inside. I need to take the back off and take a look at the soldering to check. I'd say the old adage that you get what you pay for is true in this instance.

It doesn't sound as good as an Ibanez that I tried, but then it's about a tenth of the cost.
"insensitive prick!" – Danielle Algo
0 likes
Only have one effect for my bass: the Electro-Harmonix Bass Big Muff ∏. It creates wonderfully nasty fuzz/overdrive/distortion sounds. Too bad I can't use it in my current band.

===  Not ALL LIVES MATTER until BLACK LIVES MATTER  ===

Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
For guitar, I like the Marshall Guv'nor Plus GV2, but for bass I've yet to find a decent distortion/overdrive pedal.
0 likes
Quote by Stardrinking
... for bass I've yet to find a decent distortion/overdrive pedal.

Here you go ;)

High Lord of Darkness
0 likes
My favourite pedals are the BOSS ones. The chorus is the one I use the most, but I love the METAL CORE ML-2 pedal. Lovely noise.

I used to be a pervert. In here, I'm normal!

Watch this space...She is really - cumming soon!

Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
Quote by noll

Here you go ;)

It's nice, but too fuzzy. I like a more clean distortion/overdrive, that's why I like the Guv'nor. I suppose I could buy one for guitar and fiddle with it, change components and such like to make it more suitable for bass.
0 likes
Quote by Stardrinking
It's nice, but too fuzzy. I like a more clean distortion/overdrive, that's why I like the Guv'nor. I suppose I could buy one for guitar and fiddle with it, change components and such like to make it more suitable for bass.

Oh wel, suit yourself ;)

Using a bass overdrive/distortion for guitar will probably work well. The other way around is far less likely. Distortion essentially adds a lot of overtones, and in most cases you'll loose some of the deep bass tones in the result. Good bass distortion pedals are made in such was that they compensate for that. Those for guitar most likely will not, at least not for the frequencies produced by a bass guitar.
Anyway, good luck with your search.

Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
how do Behringer pedals rate?

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

0 likes
Quote by sprite

I have never tried one myself, but I've been told they break easily as they seem to be made of plastic. Not the best material for stomp boxes, depending on the context in which it is used.

Scarlet Seductress
0 likes
Quote by sprite

They're not bad. I don't own one but I have tried them in a guitar shop.

For the money, you would be better spending the extra 10-15 dollars and getting a Boss stompbox instead.
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by Liz

They're not bad. I don't own one but I have tried them in a guitar shop.

For the money, you would be better spending the extra 10-15 dollars and getting a Boss stompbox instead.

k, thanks!

Scarlet Seductress
0 likes
Someone asked me about the rest of my rig so I decided to post a pic.

Custom Zilla Fatboy 2 x 12 Cab (Celestion Vintage 30 & G12M Creamback)
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister Deluxe 40
Chapman ML3-RC

Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
what about the Donner boxes? been checking them out on youtube, they sound good, get good reviews, and are pretty cheap. any thoughts? they're kind of cute, too

0 likes
Quote by Liz
Someone asked me about the rest of my rig so I decided to post a pic.

Custom Zilla Fatboy 2 x 12 Cab (Celestion Vintage 30 & G12M Creamback)
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister Deluxe 40
Chapman ML3-RC

I'm not a big fan of H&K myself, but I've only experienced one or two as part of the backlines in worn-out rehearsal rooms, so it may not be a fair judgement at all. And those were transistor bass amps, not tube guitar amps. We called it Kuchs & Knetter (Coughs & Crackle). Anyway, it will also depend on the style of music I guess. This one definitely looks pretty fancy.

My rig has a huge whole in it: I have no amp at the moment. In that sense any worn-out H&K would be a huge improvement for sure. Would love to have a vintage Ampeg tube top, but those are pretty expensive.

I have an old Czechoslovakian 3/4 upright bass, probably form the late '60s, with K&K Sound Bass Master Rockabilly pickups/preamp. This was my first bass and used to be my main bass for a long time. I haven't played it for a long while now though, but I hope to incorporate it in my current band again.

My first bass guitar is a black Epiphone EB-0. A nice little short scale bass. It's mainly a backup now.

Currently my main bass is a Gibson Krist Novoselic Signature RD Bass. I didn't buy it for the signature, but it's just a very nice bass with a versatile sound and a kick-ass look (not unimportant as I'm not the most virtuoso bass player ). It weighs a ton.

The earlier mentioned Electro-Harmonix Bass Big Muff Pi distortion/overdrive/fuzz pedal.

TC Electronic PolyTune tuner pedal.

Wegenpicks Trimus 250 pick. If anyone would have told me 10 years ago that, at some point I would drive to the next town to buy a €20 pick, I would not have believed them. But I have, and if I loose this one I'll do it again, as silly/decadent as it may sound.

0 likes
Quote by sprite
what about the Donner boxes? been checking them out on youtube, they sound good, get good reviews, and are pretty cheap. any thoughts? they're kind of cute, too

Never heard (of) those, but they look kinda cute indeed ;) I wonder how many of these tiny pedals one can put together without having trouble to hit the right one.

Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
i am the proud owner of a somewhat used Fender Squire electric guitar. it's red and it has slinky strings - i know this, cause i put them on myself. laugh all you want, but i'm pretty excited to join the club. i wrote a song on it already. it's about cats. there need to be more cat songs in the world. so far, no stomp boxes, but i do have a small amp - it's a fender as well. smile

Scarlet Seductress
0 likes
@Noll - I can't speak for older H&K models as this is the first I've played. I loved it that much I bought it. The Tubemeister Deluxe is a fairly new model so perhaps they have improved things in this one.

Sounds like you have some interesting gear - €20 for a pick though? Daaamn. What makes it so special? I'm currently using the Dunlop Tortex Jazz III XL in 1.5mm.

@Sprite - Never heard of Donner Pedals but they look okay. Is there a local music shop you can hang out in for an afternoon and try a load of them out? My local stores all know me on a first name basis now.

Congrats on the Squire! May it bring you many hours of enjoyment. smile If you are brand new to guitar and using Ernie Ball Regular Slinky strings (which are a 10 gauge), I would definitely recommend trying the Super Slinky (9 gauge) next time you re-string the guitar. It will be easier on your fingers until you build up the strength for long sessions of barre chords and string bends. You'll also develop fingertip calluses over time which will allow you to play longer and better. All part of becoming a sexy rock goddess.

Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by Liz
@Noll - I can't speak for older H&K models as this is the first I've played. I loved it that much I bought it. The Tubemeister Deluxe is a fairly new model so perhaps they have improved things in this one.

Sounds like you have some interesting gear - €20 for a pick though? Daaamn. What makes it so special? I'm currently using the Dunlop Tortex Jazz III XL in 1.5mm.

@Sprite - Never heard of Donner Pedals but they look okay. Is there a local music shop you can hang out in for an afternoon and try a load of them out? My local stores all know me on a first name basis now.

Congrats on the Squire! May it bring you many hours of enjoyment. smile If you are brand new to guitar and using Ernie Ball Regular Slinky strings (which are a 10 gauge), I would definitely recommend trying the Super Slinky (9 gauge) next time you re-string the guitar. It will be easier on your fingers until you build up the strength for long sessions of barre chords and string bends. You'll also develop fingertip calluses over time which will allow you to play longer and better. All part of becoming a sexy rock goddess.

gee, i don't know, Seattle might have a local music shop... a few things. The Donner Party was notorious for getting lost int the snow and eating each other back in 1980... or 1880... or a long time ago. i have to assume that anyone naming effect peddles after a family that ate their young has to be good. Also, Donner was the name of one of Santa's reindeer - they also called him 'The Executioner' (it's best you don't ask, i kind of like you and don't want you to suffer the same fate as Rudolf "Big Red" Guilianni). and umm... what are barre chords? are they like bar chords? lol - is that an english spelling or am i just clueless?

btw, how do you know i am not already a sexy rock goddess who can play longer and better! i'll have you know that i know 6 chords already - that's 3 more than Johnny Ramone! in 4 days, i am already better than the greatest guitar player who ever lived. biggrin oh, and yeah, thanks for the advice. i have the regular slinky ones. they came in a neon packet so i can find them in the dark, i think...

0 likes
Quote by Liz
Sounds like you have some interesting gear - €20 for a pick though? Daaamn. What makes it so special?

It's thick, hard and ribbed for my pleasure... I mean, for better grip of course.

When I started playing bass guitar I didn't use a pick at all at first, but with my current band a pick fitted better with the music. None felt right though, probably because I just wasn't used to it and the regular guitar picks I had laying around from the time I thought I could handle six strings all seemed way too thin. Our guitar player showed me one of these Wegenpicks, which are essentially for jazz guitarists I believe and it felt great on bass.
They're all made by hand and, if I'm correct, it's from the same non-metalic material that's used in prosthetic joints, or something like that. I couldn't care less about that, if I didn't think they just played great though.