⚠️ IF YOU LIVE IN AMERICA... ⚠️

last reply
12 replies
4.0k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Scarlet Seductress
0 likes
The FCC are trying to fuck you harder than a mean hooker with a 14-inch black rubber strap-on.

The FCC is about to announce a vote to slash net neutrality rules, allowing ISPs like Verizon to block apps, slow websites, and charge fees to control what you see & do online. Once they announce the vote, it's hard to stop.

Stand up for net neutrality and do something about it before it's too late.

LINK: https://www.battleforthenet.com/

"insensitive prick!" – Danielle Algo
0 likes
America, or the US part at least, on behalf of the rest of the world thank you for your part in the development of the internet. We'll promise to try to keep the good parts. Good luck!

===  Not ALL LIVES MATTER until BLACK LIVES MATTER  ===

0 likes
Ah, and John Oliver did an update...

Marx Sister
0 likes
Well, damn. While unsurprising, I am continually horrified and grossed out by this mess. Yes, I meant the FCC, and the U.S. at large. Noll: you're welcome for our part in developing the internet. Please keep it alive. I promise we'll be back.
My Featured Stories
The Snowglobe Conspiracy – Solving a great mystery | There Is No Butterfly – Time Travel competition entry | Incurable Arousal – Most viewed | Toxic, But Not Sinister – Mutual loathing at its finest | You Were – An experience in the second person | Desiderium – A scattering of lovers
Matriarch
0 likes
He nailed it!

I can't believe this will go through. You guys in the U.S. are being royally screwed over.
Wild at Heart
0 likes
The companies with the best bribers win again. WHAT ELSE IS NEW
Nerdzilla
0 likes
ugh.

I used to be crazy into politics but then I realized it's rare anyone I know cares much about what the government does. It irritated me enough to not pay attention much anymore. It's a losing battle.

This is fucking bullshit though. Thanks for the heads up.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I'm afraid this is yet another case of "Whoever Has the Money Makes the Rules". The big Internet providers and services want this to go through so they can eliminate the smaller companies and lessen the playing field. The less competition there is the freer they will be to do what they want with prices, knowing full well that society, as we are now, won't be able to function without the 'Net.

Once they have our asses over a barrel, you watch - just like with the power companies, TV stations, airlines, etc, they will start their mergers and the next thing you know we will all be bowing down in servitude to the Great and Powerful Net God - who will more than likely be some government-controlled provider.

But there's nothing the average person can do. Daddy BigBucks has already determined this is best for us and Daddy knows best!

(yeah, I'm a little pissed!)
0 likes
Quote by Master_Jonathan
I'm afraid this is yet another case of "Whoever Has the Money Makes the Rules". The big Internet providers and services want this to go through so they can eliminate the smaller companies and lessen the playing field. The less competition there is the freer they will be to do what they want with prices, knowing full well that society, as we are now, won't be able to function without the 'Net.

Once they have our asses over a barrel, you watch - just like with the power companies, TV stations, airlines, etc, they will start their mergers and the next thing you know we will all be bowing down in servitude to the Great and Powerful Net God - who will more than likely be some government-controlled provider.

But there's nothing the average person can do. Daddy BigBucks has already determined this is best for us and Daddy knows best!

(yeah, I'm a little pissed!)

There are a lot of even bigger companies (money wise) that want to keep Net Neutrality, like Google and Facebook for instance. It's more like the biggest political donator decides, in the US at least. Yay free market capitalism!

Scarlet Seductress
0 likes

Breaking: the Senate is about to vote on a resolution to save net neutrality and stop ISPs from ruining the Internet. Starting May 9th, put your website, app, or social profile on "Red Alert" to help sound the alarm.

Link:
https://www.battleforthenet.com/redalert/
Scarlet Seductress
0 likes

Verizon throttled fire department’s “unlimited” data during Calif. wildfire

Verizon Wireless' throttling of a fire department that uses its data services has been submitted as evidence in a lawsuit that seeks to reinstate federal net neutrality rules.

"County Fire has experienced throttling by its ISP, Verizon," Santa Clara County Fire Chief Anthony Bowden wrote in a declaration. "This throttling has had a significant impact on our ability to provide emergency services. Verizon imposed these limitations despite being informed that throttling was actively impeding County Fire's ability to provide crisis-response and essential emergency services."

Bowden's declaration was submitted in an addendum to a brief filed by 22 state attorneys general, the District of Columbia, Santa Clara County, Santa Clara County Central Fire Protection District, and the California Public Utilities Commission. The government agencies are seeking to overturn the recent repeal of net neutrality rules in a lawsuit they filed against the Federal Communications Commission in the US Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2018/08/verizon-throttled-fire-departments-unlimited-data-during-calif-wildfire/