Join the best erotica focused adult social network now
Login

Dear John -- Part 15 of 15

"Déjà vu all over again."

14
11 Comments 11
3.4k Views 3.4k
7.6k words 7.6k words

CHAPTER 43

Déjà vu all over again. Randell was a big guy but today he was a pussy. He didn’t faint like Mort almost did, but he was nervous. Oh my, he was nervous! I had to allow that in his case he had reason to be. Both his mother and his sister had had miscarriages in what were supposed to be routine hospital deliveries. He was mortally afraid that he might have inherited some terrible gene or something.

Just as was usual, a white clad man with a stethoscope around his neck came out, and he was smiling. Randell did seem a little shaky then, well, to me. The doctor came up to Owen and whispered something to him. Owen smiled.

The doctor broke away from Owen and came to the big man, well at 6’6” and 250 Randell Davis was by definition a big man.

“A girl, 7 seven pounds, he said and healthy,” he said. “Momma is doing quite well. You’ll be able to go in in a few minutes.” He motioned to all of us.

Owen had disappeared for a few minutes after his word with the doctor. He returned now with a nervous Abigail on his arm; she’d been hunting down a coffee machine. Randell was accosted by a nurse at just that minute and led the parade into the mother’s room.

“Hi Mom, Dads,” she said. “Everybody meet Cecilia Abigail,” she said. Abigail began to cry; she was quiet about it, but the tears were flowing.

In attendance were me and Lana, the Cords, the Glass family including baby Sam—who they did allow in baby or not—and of course Randell. Jeff and Harriet had meant to be there, but had a problem they had to take care of. I didn’t know what the problem was, but I’d likely be finding out later. Cecilia and Greg Williams were not present: Cecilia was ill.

Abigail was clearly very happy about her name being in the mix; in spite of everything I was happy for her. Owen? He was clearly relieved. I think Owen was the only one who was not actually invested in the naming thing. Well, I wasn’t really either, but I would not deny being happy that I had been first in that respect. I guess it was a matter of perspective.

The congrats and promises of good times for the baby girl and all of it went on for a while, but inevitably, we all parted to allow the stars of the show to rest. Randell stayed, but I don’t know for how long; we were gone right after the Cords and Glass family.

******

“Well woman, are you happy now?” said Owen. She went to him and laid her head on his shoulder. She hadn’t said anything. He had to allow that she didn’t have to. He knew she was thrilled and probably relieved that Sarah had honored both her mother and herself. He knew that she would have been happier if Mia had chosen to name her son after him, but she was resigned at this point to follow his lead and keep her mouth shut forevermore. Well, he hoped that that was the case.

“We have to have them all over for a party soon,” she said. Everybody. Okay?” she said.

“Of course. It’s already in the planning stage,” he said.

“Thank you for that and for everything,” she said. “And . . .”

“And?” he said.

“And for helping Sam out with the leg thing and the mask and all of it. I think my leaving him may actually have been a good thing. I mean if I hadn’t he and I would still be poor and he’d still be in a wheelchair,” she said. “Is my thinking that way bad of me?” He could see that she actually wanted him to answer her.

“Of course it’s not bad. It’s pragmatic I suppose, and from a pragmatic viewpoint, I suppose you actually do have a point,” he said. “Sam needed the help I was in a position to help him with and I still may be able to help him some more one day, I mean with the face thing. But, we’ll just have to wait and see about that one. My man Devon is still on the lookout. Oh, and the young man has been promoted to head up my overall research thing. I mentioned to you before that I would likely be teaching him my methods one day. That day has come. He’s learning about how to exploit opportunities in the marketplace. I guess even a Biology guy can learn the hardcore elements of moneymaking.”

“Wow!” she said. “Well good. I hope he does well.”

“It’s not a matter of hoping. It’s a matter of him doing what I tell him to do, and he is,” said Owen. “Making money is not the great mystery of life; it’s just hard work.”

“I sure wish that my ex would have had the gumption to think the way you do and act on it,” she said.

“Well, I’m glad he didn’t and that for purely selfish reasons,” he said.

“I’m glad too, my husband. I did love Sam back in the day. But when I met you, even before I actually knew anything about your skill at making money; I was drawn to you. I love you, Mister, don’t ever doubt that” she said. He smiled.

“I don’t doubt you, and I’m grateful to whatever gods were involved in my chance meeting up with you that day in the parking lot. And Missy, I do love you, too,” he said.

Her husband was a real man, she thought. A man who knew how to do things and how to deal with people like few others did. She had caused him so many problems in these past years. Some things relating to her ex, but other things as well; things merely personal and between just the two of them. She swore to never disobey him again, not on purpose for damn sure.

She needed to visit the Bradshaws. She’d be doing that in an hour. In an hour it would be noon. Yes, lunch would be with the Bradshaws today unless they weren’t home. But, they would be. They were always home or nearly always.

******

“Honey,” said Lana, “let’s go out to eat whaddya say?”

“Sounds good,” I said. “You know we got a few bucks. I wanna go to the Scarborough. It’s not something we’re going to do a lot, but I’m feeling like doing something extra special. Okay?”

I’d just picked up my keys, and had taken two steps toward the door, where Lana was checking her purse for whatever women checked their purses for, when someone knocked. Well, at least they hadn’t used the damn buzzer.

Lana answered the door.

“Abigail!” I said. I was more than very surprised.

“Yes, guys, I want to take the both of you to lunch. Whaddya say?” she said.

“Absolutely not,” I said.

“But, I thought . . .” said Abigail, clearly concerned.

“No, Abigail,” said Lana, “we’re taking you.”

“Huh? What” she said. It’s like she couldn’t believe that peons like us could afford to take her wealthy ass out for lunch.

“Yes, our pleasure,” I said. Her cheeks flushed. Her eyes got big as dinner plates. She was temporarily speechless, but, only temporarily.

“Okay, thank you,” she said.

The ride to the Scarborough was conversational. The conversation was mostly about the twins and their children.

We pulled into the parking lot at the Scarborough.

“Sam?” said Abby.

“What, Abby?” I said.

“Nothing,” she said.

We headed inside. I had to admit to being a trifle nervous. One, even with my mask I was going to get looks. I was wearing a tie, but it sure as hell wasn’t any hundred dollar tie. Lana looked good, but my suit . . . I was concerned that the maitre d’ might treat us badly. He came up to us.

“For three, sir?” he said. He’d given Abigail a small smile; I wondered at that. He did not offer the equally beautiful Lana the same honoraria. But, I made nothing of it. Oh, and he’d not said anything or apparently even noticed my mask. He had, of course, noticed, I was sure of that, but showed no sign of such.

“Yes,” I said. He led us to a table near the back.

The food came and I don’t even remember what we ordered; I was so nervous. Being around my ex pretty nearly always had me being a nervous-jervis or something. But the two women seemed to be enjoying themselves. Then we were presented with the wine. We drank it, me more than the two of them.

“So,” said, Abigail. “Harriet and Jeffrey are pregnant,” she said.

“Yes, with twins,” I said. “I heard that just yesterday.”

“Really?” said Abigail. She clearly had not known that particular piece of juicy information. “I mean twins?” Her soul sister had so far left her out of the loop.

“Yes,” said Lana. Jeffrey called us yesterday.

“Oh, and Abby, I have no idea what they will be naming the children. I do know that they are having a boy and a girl,” I said.

“Well, I... I mean... ” she said.

I started to laugh. “It’ll be what it’ll be,” I said. “I do have to say that I advised him to name the boy . . .”

“Yes?” she said.

“Albert,” I said.

“What? Albert?” she said, shock painting her features.

“Yes, after Albert Einstein. But, if it matters he laughed at me,” I said. Abigail actually looked pissed.

“Abby, relax. What I actually said was that it was up to him and Harriet, not me. I did tell him to name the boy after Einstein, and the girl Marilyn, after Marilyn Monroe. But I was joking and he knew I was joking.

“That was not funny, Mister!” she said. “Just for that, you get to leave the tip too! Oh, and that’s usually 15% of the bill!”

Now I was worried! But I choked out my fear laden response. “No problem,” I said. And I hoped it would not be a problem.

Finished with the wine. The bill was presented to me: $409. The tip was already estimated and included in the bill. Fucking wonderful, I thought. And yes, it was way more than I thought it would be.

I was smiling when I put my card into the little folder that contained the bill. Abigail, on the other hand, was smirking, but she was gracious in her thank yous to the two of us.

“Lunch was great, Sam,” she said. “I very much appreciate it.” I think she was being sincere. Well, the food and the wine were first rate.

******

Abigail and Lana had made something of a thing about meeting and talking female stuff since we, Lana and I, lived so close. I wasn’t sure how to react to that particular liaison. It is true that Harriet had been less in evidence in recent times; well, she was married, and she was expecting. But Lana was not expecting; and she was essentially available and interested in having a friend like my ex. So, she did, they did.

CHAPTER 44

“Yes, we had lunch,” said Abigail. “And it was very nice. Oh, and they paid.”

“Okay?” he said, and it was a question.

“Yes, at the Scarborough,” she said.

“At the where!” he said, hardly believing it.

“Yes, I was surprised too. They’d determined to have a kind of a top notch lunch, a date maybe, and then I showed up,” she said.

“You didn’t offer to pay, did you?” he said.

“No, no, I may be dumb but I’m not that dumb,” she said. “No, I let them pay. In fact I told the guy that I wouldn’t even leave the tip because he was being such a jerk, but I did say it with a smile,” she said.

“A jerk? He was being a jerk?” he said.

“Yes, well we are talking about Sam Bradshaw here,” she said. He snickered.

“Yeah, I guess,” he said.

“Yes, he told me what he’d suggested that Harriet and Jeffrey should think about naming their twins, when they arrived. And no I didn’t know they were having twins. Evidently they just found out; the Michaels just found out,” she said.

“And they were,” he said, “the names?”

“Well after Albert and Marilyn: Einstein and Monroe, of course,” she said.

“Hmm, but I’m guessing he was kidding,” he said.

“Yes, but that wasn’t clear at first. Like I say he was being a jerk,” she said.

“Hmm, so anything else happen during this epochal struggle between the forces of Cord and Bradshaw?” he said.

“No nothing substantial. Lana was being pleasant and kind of quiet for the most part, but did comment at appropriate times. She is very nice actually,” she said.

“Well good,” he said. “I think that she is going to be good for him. He really needed someone, a woman, after he lost his Rina. Truth told he’s been super fortunate to have been able to capture the hearts of those two ladies. And I do mean both of them. Of course I get a little of the credit for Rina.”

“Yes, and I agree with you. I was an asshole to that lady, and I wish for nothing so much as to have been able to make amends to her for that. But now it’s too late. Life goes on, and sometimes the regrets we have earned by our bad behaviors during that life messes up our relationships and cause us more pain than anybody needs to have to deal with,” she said

“Hmm, you seem to be almost profound in your thinking this evening,” he said.

“Yes, well I do have my moments,” she said. “But, really, there are a lot of things I’ve done and said over this past time that I wish I could take back. A lot of things. But one thing not.”

“One thing not?” he said.

“I’m just glad that whatever god oversees such things that I met and married you, Owen Cord. You’re the greatest. I think even Sam realizes that though I’m not sure he would ever voice it,” she said.

“Well thank you for that. I feel real good about meeting you too,” he said. “I’m not sure Sam would feel like you’re thinking he maybe feels. But maybe,” he said.

******

Just two more weeks according to her calendar,” said Lana.

“Hmm, yes, if the babies are on time. Lots of times the babies come late the first time around for a woman,” said Abigail.

“Hmm, yes, that’s so,” she said.

”So where’s your future hubby,” said Abby.

“Shush,” said Lana. “He doesn’t want that out yet. He wants to make that announcement himself, like I told you. Don’t you dare tell Owen either. I told you that in confidence. He really wants to make the announcement himself, maybe tonight.

“But to answer your question: he’s at the market getting stuff for the week. Ever since he’s gotten more used to his legs, he’s been wanting to do more stuff on his own,” she said.

“I sure am glad things worked out for him there,” said Abby. “And no, I won’t clue Owen. He will be appropriately surprised for sure. But, in point of fact he, all of us, have been kind of expecting it to happen, so maybe not that surprised.”

“For sure,” said Lana. “We’ve only held off this long because of his memory of Rina. He is still kinda down about what happened to her.”

“I can believe it. And though he would likely not believe me, I miss her too,” said Abby. “It was only after she was gone that I realized what a good person she was. I really messed up with my behavior when it came to her.”

“We all screw up. I sure can relate to that great truth. I dumped my good man for purely selfish reasons and I am so freaking glad I’m getting a second chance,” said Lana.

“Lana, I dumped the man too, and while I’m super happy with my Owen, I do regret hurting the guy when I did what I did; I’ll be talking to him about that soon; I need to. Heck, Owen regrets it too. But things are working out for the best. Well I think that they are. Now if nothing else happens to mess up our lives; I am going to be more than super grateful,” said Abby. Her new friend laughed.

“Yes, well we’re all hoping that things continue to improve,” said Lana, “especially Sam.” She got a sidelong look from her friend for what she’d just said.

The two women had been sitting at the dinette table of the guest house ever since they’d had their morning coffee together: something they’d been doing more or less daily for the past few months.

They turned toward the sink where Lana’s cell phone was plugged in being powered up. It was buzzing.

Lana answered it. “Oh shit,” she said, hanging up. That was Jeffrey. So much for what’s usual. Harriet is at the hospital; she’d delivering!”

“Oh my!” said Abby. “We gotta go! You ride with me, okay?”

“Okay,” said Lana. “I gotta call Sam. He’s still shopping. He’ll just have to do it later.”

“Okay, take your cell. You can call him from the car,” said Abby. They were on the road in five,

******

They were the first one’s there.

“Sam will be here in ten,” said Lana.

“And Owen in five,” said Abigail.

“Thanks,” said Jeffrey. “The doctor said it might be a while.”

The two women nodded.

“I called Mia. She said that Sarah was out of town. Mia has Cecilia-Abigail with her. She’ll be here as soon as she can. I told her to hold off because of the kids. And Mortimer wants to come too. He’s taking off work to get over here. Not sure about Randell; he didn’t answer the phone,” said Jeffrey.

The group got larger over the next while. Jeffrey kept glancing up at the clock.

“Don’t worry, Jeff,” I said.

I’d arrived in ten minutes, as I discovered Lana had predicted, Owen in six who was speaking quietly with Abigail off to the side.

“I guess. But, I’m not nervous,” said Jeffrey, when I asked him if he was okay. He clearly was nervous, but for the moment everybody was granting him his fantasy.

“Yes,” said Abigail, “Lana came with me. We’ll be going back together too after the baby joins us.”

“Okay, so everything is good then,” he said.

“Yes, and it’s been getting better almost daily. Oh, and I’ve heard from mom and dad; they’ll be coming over on the weekend,” she said.

“Good, it’s been a while. I know your mom wasn’t feeling too good,” he said.

“Yes, the flu, I guess. She’s feeling better now though,” said Abigail.

Owen glanced to his left. Sam and Jeffrey had stepped outside and were leaning against the railing of the outside walkway and faux patio that the third floor sported. He decided to join them.

“So, how are you doing, Jeff?” said Owen.

“Hanging in there,” said Jeffrey.

“And that’s his story and he’s sticking to it,” I said.

“Well good. It won’t be too long I’m sure,” said Owen.

“That’s the hope,” said Jeffrey.

The talk among them went on for some minutes more. Suddenly Jeff looked stressed.

“The doctor,” he said, nodding toward the group inside.

Heads turned. The other men saw what he’d seen. They all headed inside.

“Mister Michaels,” said the doctor. “Twins, healthy, six pounds three for the boy and six pounds even for the girl. You’ll be able to get in to see your family very shortly.

Everybody started in with the congratulations and what all. Jeffrey for his part took a seat. Relief painted his features quite obviously.

“This is a big moment for you, my friend. And for me too if you want to know. Have you clued the big guy yet?” I said.

“No, Harriet wants that to be her and only her. She was adamant,” he said. I nodded.

“Makes sense,” I said. “They’ve been soulmates for forever.”

“Yes,” he said.

It was fully fifteen minutes before Jeff was allowed to see his family. The rest of us held off for a couple of minutes longer letting the man have some private time before the herd invaded their space.

It was but a few minutes and Jeff came out and gave me the high sign.

I motioned everybody to follow me inside. Abigail came up next to me with Owen but a half step behind us. I felt a little strange with her being at my side, but maybe I was just being—something.

We all crowded around the mother’s bed.

Harriet was smiling and she looked almost something, maybe conspiratorial.

“Well, everybody. Meet Owen Jeffrey Michaels and Abigail Rina Michaels,” she said. The look on the faces of the two honored namesakes was precious.

lucky_girl
Online Now!
Lush Cams
lucky_girl

“We are honored,” said Owen. Abigail was nodding furiously. She was clearly pleased. That my ex-wife Rina had been honored too seemed to please my ex-wife Abigail. It sure as hell pleased me; I started to tear up.

Everyone congratulated the new Abigail and Owen appropriately. I made sure that I did so very personally and unmistakably.

******

“How are you feeling?” said Owen.

“Very very good,” said Abigail. “I really think that my best friend did a good thing today, and not just for you and me.”

He nodded. He knew what she meant. “Yes, I have to think that Sam is actually as happy as we are,” he said.

“I hope so,” she said. “And, I agree with you. I think he is too. And he should be.”

******

Well, there it was. My Rina would be long remembered now, and that by all of us, but especially by my ex-wife’s best friend, Harriet Michaels and my best friend Jeffrey Michaels. It had been a good day, a very good day.

******

“Do you think we satisfied everybody?” said Harriet.

“Yes, yes I do,” said Jeffrey. “My friend loved that woman, actually both of those women; but especially Rina. She was a wonderful lady and especially so for him. And as for Abigail, I know she was ashamed of herself for the way she treated Rina when she was here. This gives her a chance to redeem herself, and I think she is in the process of that. Well, judging by her exuberant reaction at the hospital.”

“I think you’re right. She did seem genuinely happy with the names,” said Harriet.

“Abigail called a little bit ago. I think she’s coming over in just a bit,” said Jeffrey.

“I know. Actually, I’ve expected her. I’m surprised she hasn’t been here yet. But, I know her parents are coming up. They may actually already be there, and with her mom being sick... ” said Harriet.

“Yes, I know Abby was kinda worried there for a while. I know she’s gone to see her, her mom, a few times in the last couple of weeks,” said Jeffrey, “Sam clued me about that.”

******

“Whaddya thinking?” said Lana.

“Nothing, just about how things have kinda worked themselves out over the last several months,” I said.

“Yes, well things do seem to be coming together a bit better than had been the case before,” she said.

“Yes, ever since Mia delivered and named her son after me. And it wasn’t me that made things better. It was Owen. When he didn’t react negatively to me being first in line; well, that kinda did it for me,” I said. “And yes, I know how bad that sounds.”

“Well, he is, after all, a good guy in spite of him messing with Abigail while you were still married to her back in the day,” she said.

“Yes, I’d have to say yes,” I said. “And you have no idea how weird that sounds, even to me. I mean me saying it,” She nodded. It did sound weird.

 

CHAPTER 45

Patios are wonderful institutions. Psychiatrists ought to think about getting rid of the stupid couches and instilling patios instead. Much easier to ruminate over whatsoever with a warm sun overhead instead of pricey chandeliers. Well, that’s my thinking others may disagree.

And, as luck or the gods or fate or something would have it, I was sitting out on the patio of the guest house now.

The patio faced the southeast. What that meant was that at 10:00 in the morning the sun was almost directly across from me; it was 10:05 a.m. I was sitting under the “sunbrella” with my Walmart bought sunglasses on; well, I still had one good eye, when she came up behind me from inside the place.

“Basking are we?” said Lana.

“I guess one could make a case for that,” I said. She snickered.

“Seems kinda obvious to me,” she said. “But on another subject, Abigail’s on her way down. She wants to talk to you. I told her you’d be thrilled to ‘cavort’ with her.”

“Funny,” I said. “But yeah, that’s fine. Do I have to get up to answer the door?”

“No, no, I told her to just come in and surprise you,” she said. “I’m going to the salon.”

“Yeah well thanks for the heads up,” I said.

“No problema,” she said, and she was gone.

******

“Well, did she tell you I was coming?” said Abigail Cord, coming up behind me as my woman had but two minutes before.

“No, no, you are a complete surprise,” I said, obviously and transparently lying to my ex-wife.

She took a seat across from me without so much as a by-your-leave. Well, in point of fact she and the big guy did own the place, so maybe it wasn’t so much of a faux pas etiquette-wise.

“How are you feeling today?” she said.

“Okay, I guess. Glad we’re maybe and finally by most of the celebrations and rushing around and what all,” I said.

“Yes, it has been a hectic time for sure,” she said. I nodded.

“But, it’s been a good time too,” she continued.

“Yes, yes, it has. I’d have to say that yes it has,” I said.

“The kids and Jeff and Harriet appear to be a lot smarter than I am,” she said.

“Yes, well, and me too if it comes to that,” I said

“I can’t believe that I was such a doofus. I keep telling myself that I always wanted the best for everybody, and Sam, especially for you. And that is the truth, sir.”

“I guess,” I said. “I mean I guess I believe you.” She took on a serious look.

“And the divorce?” she said. I shrugged.

“It stung then and it still does. Am I past it? I guess I am. Lana makes me happy. I’m content. It’s just that . . .” I stopped. I didn’t know how to finish whatever it was that I wanted to say, not right then I didn’t. She nodded, solemnly nodded.

“I think I understand how you must’ve felt. I didn’t then. I mean other than you were hurt. I knew that that was a true thing. And likely concerned about your place with the children. That was my biggest concern for you at the time. I tried to make sure that you knew that then. I mean that you’d still be their daddy their only daddy. I put that in the letter. But I guess I can understand why you didn’t believe me,” she said.

“And then I was proven right wasn’t I?” I said, “I mean about being their father their only father.”

“Yes, you were right. Or rather I should say that you became right. You weren’t right at the time, at the time of the divorce per se.

“It was rather the case that Owen became obsessed with being the girls’ daddy and that quite unexpectedly at least from my point of view,” she said. “I’d figured that he’d be a really great uncle or stepdad or something, but not a real father; that was to be your bailiwick and only yours. But then you didn’t show up. And well things took on a life of their own and well, Owen did become a true and real daddy to them, the girls.”

“I suppose,” I said. “But in my defense... ” I started.

“Mister, you do not need to defend yourself. That’s on me. Not on Owen, not on you or anybody but me,” she said. “I fell in love with the man and not because of his money either. He’s just a great guy. Still, you weren’t around or he never would have gotten his shot with me. And, yes, I know it was largely my fault that you weren’t around. That’s why it’s all on me.

“I needed my man to be around, not just be a hero and all of that. So, I let myself fall in love with a man who turned out to be a very good man. Oh my, how lucky was ‘that’ for me, and I won’t deny that ever. But, that said, Sam, I never stopped loving you too,” she said.

“Hmm,” I said.

“No ‘hmm’ about it. It’s why I made love to you that day. Yes, seeing your face, the awful way you looked, did make my skin crawl. But, I still had feelings for you, and I knew you were desperate, you were a man, and you were a desperate man. I had to save you at least a little. So I let you have me,” she said. “I needed you to have me.”

“You risked losing your good man by that little ditty,” I said.

“Yes, I did. I had not told him I was planning on doing you. Truth is, as I think I told you at the time, it was more or less a spur of the moment thing. And yes it was a risk, but a minimal one. Minimal because I knew that he would never consider you a serious rival; I mean the way you looked and your almost nonexistent chance of ever making a decent living. No, you were never going to be a threat to him, not in his eyes,” she said.

“But, he was going to make me a millionaire. He’s told me he still would if I would ever allow him to,” I said.

“Yes, and then you would have been in debt to him for life. I’m personally glad you never took the money. The fact is I was afraid that if you ever met a woman who could see past your injuries and marry you, that the woman might take the money and dump you after the fact. That one was a big ass worry for me if not for Owen.

“But it’s less of a worry anymore. Lana is straight arrow; I’m convinced of that. So, no, even if you took the man up on his offer now; I’m pretty confident that you’d be okay in the doing of it,” she said. “But, you would be in debt to him regardless.”

“Yes, Lana is straight arrow. And, no I’m not going to take the man up on his offer. That he’s fixed it so I can walk again is already too much, I’ll take that one though, but it is too much. It’s the one bit of selfishness that I am allowing myself. And, I might add the idea of the mask thing was a good thing too. Yeah, I wish that German doctor had had the chance to do me right, but well, it is what it is I guess,” I said.

“Selfish? You selfish? You have faults Mister, but selfishness is not one of them,” she said. I snickered.

“Faults?” I said.

“For sure. You’re stubborn and nosy and foolish. And likely other things as well, but well, for all of that; you’re still a good guy. And I love you, and in point of fact, we all do. That’s why the girls have chosen to honor you with the naming of the children and all. And yes, Jeff and Harriet too.

“And if anyone was selfish it was me. I did not want young Ronald up on that stage with you because I didn’t want it, him seeing you so honored, to water down Owen’s position with him. I was mortally afraid that it would. I knew it was a big deal. Too big a deal for me at the time. Later I realized how selfish I had been. But by then you pretty much hated me. Hell, I hated myself!” she said.

The front door buzzer buzzed. The two of us turned toward it. I rose to go to it and answer it.

“Mia!” I said, and little Sam. She had the baby in a carrier.

“Mia,” said Abigail.

“Yes, yes it’s me. Mort is working. I decided to come over and see what you were doing Dad,” she said.

“Well, I’m glad you did,” I said. “Come in come in.” she did so.

******

Over the next while, we heard all about the early hours feeding and Mortimer’s lack of sleep-related thereto. Ah parenthood, such a fun time in the early going!

“So you and Dad are good, Mom,” said Mia. I was sitting right across from my daughter when she asked her the loaded question.

“Yes Mia, I think we are,” said my ex-wife.

“Dad?” she said.

“Yes, we’re in an okay place I think,” I said. I got a look from my daughter which seemed to question my apparent qualification of my position.

“Dad?” she said.

“We’re okay. We’re talking. We agree on most things I guess one could say. And yes, the rancor of the recent past is pretty much in the rearview mirror,” I said. Mia was nodding, but it was a slow nod.

“Mia, the things your dad here and I were talking about just before you came were about the very things that you are asking about,” said Abigail.

“Uh-oh, I interrupted the biggee, didn’t I?” she said.

I shrugged. Abigail leaned back in her seat and stared at her daughter, our daughter.

“I should go, shouldn’t I?” said Mia.

“No,” I said. “Abigail?”

“I don’t know. I did have a thing or two left to talk about. But, we could continue at another time. I mean it is a lot of stuff we’ve talked about already,” she said.

Her saying that reminded me of something. “Wait up, I just remembered something. I have something for you, well, for Owen. Wait here for a moment, okay?” She nodded.

I walked back into the house and got it. I came back out in no more than two minutes. I handed it to her. Just give it to Owen. He’s expecting it,” I said.

“Okay, sure,” said Abigail. “

“Anyway, getting back to our conversation. Anything that our daughter shouldn’t be privy to?” I said.

Abigail’s turn to shrug. “Not on my account,” she said.

“So talk,” I said.

“Well, the only other thing, Sam, was the timing of the divorce. And by timing I mean on more than one level,” she said.

“Huh?” I said. “The timing? The timing was shit! I was ten thousand miles away. The timing was serious shit!”

“Yes, and that was one of the levels,” she said. “But not the only one, and one could argue not the most important one.

“Sam you never heard the story of how I met Owen, not the whole story,” she said.

“Okay?” I said.

“I’d been shopping. I was loading groceries into the back of the car in the parking lot. The babies were at the sitter’s place for the afternoon. I sometimes left them with Harriet if she wasn’t working, but there was a teenager down the block that had moved in and she was the sitter that day. Anyway whatever . . .

“As I said, I was putting groceries in the car when he, Owen, came up to me. He asked if I needed help—there were a lot of groceries. I told him no that I was good. But then he said I looked like I needed a knight in shining armor. I was kind of shocked at his boldness. He laughed and asked if I would be his plus one at a do that he would be speaking at. He said he did that a lot. At first I said no, but then I guess I changed my mind. He said we could go in separate cars so as to put to rest any worries I might have. Then . . .”

“Then you said yes,” I said.

“Yes. I knew you wouldn’t like it. But he looked like a guy who had a lot to offer, well rich. I thought that maybe he could help us, the both of us. But, over time he and I shared any number of lunches and a few dinners—no sex, Sam, none, not even kisses or hugs or any of it. Then one day; well he put it to me. He said he had feelings for me. At first, I was shocked, Sam, I was. But then, I realized that I had developed feelings for him too,” she said.

“And then you slept together,” I said. She looked down.

“That’s when I sent the letter, The Dear John letter,” she said.

“I made it plain to him then, as we spoke of earlier, that you were the children’s daddy and no other.

“That meant you and Sarah, Mia. And I meant it.

“Then he said he was good with that, and he was going to set you up for life. He was going to make damn sure you lacked for nothing and that nothing would be allowed to come between you and our babies, yours and mine, Sam. There was one small codicil however: you had to agree to it. Failing that there wasn’t anything that we could do to make things right by you,” she said. “And of course you didn’t agree.”

So far Mia had not so much as coughed let alone interrupted the proceedings. She did now.

“Momma, that letter must have killed Dad’s heart,” she said.

“I know. It was the one thing that I had no control over at that time. I had fallen in love with another man, a good man; one could argue a great man. And then one thing led to another and I never heard back from you Sam. And then Owen and I just waited for you to come and claim your rightful place with the babies, you and Sarah, Mia. Then it was three years and still no contact. And I was angry Sam, with you. How dare you not come and talk to me and not claim—demand— your place as their father.

“Finally I divorced you in absentia. After which we put a private investigator on you to find you. She did, find you that is. Then I went to see you.

“Sam my shock at seeing you for the first time that day at the VFW in Tucson was profound. I had no words. But, I finally understood why you had never come back to us. You were ashamed of the way you looked. I couldn’t deal with it either, not right away. And once Owen had finally met you he had as hard a time as I did dealing with it. He would do anything to help you, Sam, even now. You really need to let him.

“At any rate . . .” she said.

“At any rate, we need to move on now. I have a new woman, well not all that new actually, and grand babies. We both do, you and I, and Owen too, I suppose. And we can move on; I can. So it’s all good,” I said.

“I wish Sarah were here,” said Mia. “She needed to hear this. We’ll be talking again Mom, Dad. Okay?” I shrugged.

“I guess,” I said.

“Yes,” said Abigail.

“Sam, about the help?” said Abigail.

“If we ever need it. The man has already done enough with my leg thing,” I said. “But money? Not happening.”

My used to be wife nodded, but I thought it to be a frustrated nod. My wife would be home soon. My life had been saved by her more than she knew.

At that moment, I didn’t say anything to the woman across from me, but the one thing I’d been considering asking the big man for was the job he’d said he could arrange for me. Could I do it? Ask him? I still didn’t know for sure, not yet, but maybe. We’d be seeing.

******

She looked up at the clock; her man would be home shortly. She turned back to the dinner she’d been preparing. She heard it; the car was pulling in. She smiled. One minute later the back door to the kitchen slammed.

“Hi honey,” she said, as he came to her and kissed her.

“So, you talk to the neighbors today?” he said.

“Yes and Mia, too,” she said. “She’s still down there with him I think.”

“Oh?” he said.

“Oh, and he gave me something to give to you,” she said. She went to the serving bar and retrieved the envelope. She handed it to him. He opened it.

His expression turned to one of frustration. “Damn it,” he said. He handed it to her. It was a short note with a check stapled to it.

“It’s two thousand dollars,” she said. Her look was a question.

It’s a reimbursement for the money I paid to the couple who I bought out of his apartment in Tucson. I can’t believe the man won’t let it go. He refuses to take anything he doesn’t absolutely have to,” he said. “I’m gonna talk to him. I’m going to talk to him now!”

******

I was sitting out on the patio with Mia. He actually came striding in; he was determined.

“Daddy,” said Mia.

I smiled. I knew what he was there for. “Hi Owen,” I said.

“Really!” he said, shaking the item in his hand at me.

“I promised you,” I said. “I keep my promises.”

“Sam you have got to loosen up. This was not, I repeat not, necessary,” he said. I heard the front door open yet again.

“Hi guys,” said Lana. “What’s going on?” She looked around at the three of us. I was the only one not looking stressed.

The big man handed my wife the check. “Keep this and tell the man he has to loosen up,” said Owen.

“Give it back to him, honey. But, Owen, as for loosening up, there is a favor I would like to ask of you,” I said. Lana handed him back the check. In the twenty or so seconds since Lana had come in, I’d made up my mind.

“Favor? You’re asking me for a favor!” he said.

“Yes,” I said. I think I’d stopped him; he was looking me askance. Two favors, actually,” I said.

“Okay,” He said, slowly said.

“One, keep the check, please,” I said, he snorted his reluctance but he didn’t try to force the issue. He was waiting to hear the other shoe drop.

“And two?” he said, finally.

“Well, is that job in tech you once mentioned still on the table?” I said.

“What? Job? Oh, job,” he said. “Why yes, of course. I mean really?”

“I’ll take it,” I said. He took a seat across from me at the little patio table.

“Okay, but the check,” he said.

“No, no, not the same thing as the job. I need you to keep that one,” I said. He snorted again, but took the check. He nodded.

“You are a stubborn sonovagun,” he said.

“I’ve heard that,” I said.

******

Well, and Markwell Computing turned out to be a good fit for me. The codicil to that was that they required me to go to school. But, the good news was that while I was going—three years’ worth—they’d pay me, full pay—$120K annual. The man did have influence.

Eventually, I would become known as MGMC—the masked geek of Markwell Computing.

Oh, and the big guy did take, and he did cash, the check; and he was effusive in his gratitude thereto. Well, everybody could use a few extra bucks.

******

 

 

Published 
Written by mattmoreau
Loved the story?
Show your appreciation by tipping the author!

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your erotic stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors

Comments