Join the best erotica focused adult social network now
Login

Rhythm and the Blue Line Ch 07

"Lara advocates for Brody."

5
3 Comments 3
3.9k Views 3.9k
1.2k words 1.2k words
"Jason was a piece of work, wasn't he?" Lara shook her head as she drove them home.

"He was." Ryan paused, trying to get a sense of Lara's mood. "No worse than usual, I guess, but he does get under my skin. I think he does it on purpose."

"Yeah. God." Lara smacked the steering wheel. "'Too bad you didn't get an earlier date?' Next time he can plan the damn gigs. I don’t see him offering to help. He won't even put up any flyers!" She shook her head. "Nate did I don't know how many blocks last time, and Jason couldn't be bothered to put them up on his own street. Putz."

Ryan gave a short laugh. "True. You know, I was thinking, Lara. We agreed to six months, but I don't think it's going to work."

"We should keep our word, and we can't afford to lose him now. Let's see how the gigs go."

"I feel so stupid." Ryan shook her head. "Like I should have seen it, you know? But he was Nate's friend, and he seemed so enthusiastic when he auditioned."

"He's Nate's sister's boyfriend," Lara corrected, then made a face. "Try saying that five times fast. Anyway, we all thought he was serious, Ryan. It's no one's fault."

"I know. It's just been bugging me for a few weeks now and I haven't been sure whether to say anything." She huffed out a breath. "Nate and Mitch are on board, always have been, but Jason keeps wanting to rock the boat. It infuriates me." She paused to gather her thoughts. "I know what I'm doing, and I'm glad you guys trust me. If Jason doesn't start trusting, it'll be a problem."

Lara nodded. "It will. I have to say, I keep waiting for you guys to have an actual fight one day."

Ryan scoffed. "Please. I'd mop the floor with him. Hardly worth the effort."

"True. So, how are things with the family?" Lara switched lanes and subjects as their exit approached.

"The usual. I'm such a disappointment."

"No, you're not. They don’t say that."

"Not out loud, but it's definitely what they think." She considered. "Okay, not Evan. But the rest of them."

"I've never understood that." Lara turned onto Route 1. "I know they're into sports, and that takes talent and work. But you have talent and you work hard, it's just different talent. So I don't see how they can be like that."

"Are you kidding? With my dad, it was sports or nothing. Thank God the boys came along, or he would have died of a broken heart."

"Come on, Ry, you're exaggerating."

"Am I? For God's sake, Lara, they gave me a boy's name. How much more obvious could they have been that they wanted me to be a son? Geez, if they'd found out ahead of time, they probably would have given me up for adoption."

"Oh, come on. We've been over this."

"Okay, okay. I'll drop it before I start feeling sorry for myself."

"Good. I'm staying home tonight and I don’t have time for your pity party." Lara nudged her arm to take the sting out of her words.

"Wow, home? What have I done to warrant the honor of your company?" Ryan feigned shock as they got to their door and she unlocked it. "Did Trout find a mermaid?"

"Oh, knock it off." Lara smacked Ryan's shoulder. "He's off on a camping trip with some friends. I don't do beds outdoors."

"Where's your sense of adventure?"

"At the Marriott."

Ryan laughed.

NicoleJones
Online Now!
Lush Cams
NicoleJones

"Well, they say couples should have their own individual interests, right? So this is good. Time apart. You can appreciate him more when you see him again."

"I'll appreciate him plenty once he showers."

Ryan made a face. "Thanks for the image."

"Hey, mental hands off my boyfriend."

"I don’t want my hands, of any sort, on your boyfriend. Have no fear."

"Okay." Lara grabbed some water. "Besides, you should want your hands on Brody Lang."

"Oh, please." Ryan reached in for a soda. "We're friends, ok? We talk. He's a nice guy."

"But?" Lara led the way into the living room and they each dropped onto the couch.

Ryan stretched her legs, reveling in being free of any casts. "But what?"

"There's a but in there, I can tell. He's a nice guy, apparently single. You're single, so what's the problem?"

"Maybe I'm not looking for a boyfriend, ever think of that?"

Lara scoffed.

"Okay, fine." Ryan took a long drink. "I like him, ok? But he's a hockey player. After all the sports crap I've put up with in my life already, I have no desire to date a professional athlete. And let me point out there's no evidence he wants to date me."

"So you're just friends?"

"Yes, friends." Ryan laughed and her friend's expression. "Look, Lara, I like him. He's funny, and he's been cool about the band, which goes a long way. But other than that, there's nothing going on."

"Hmph." Lara slumped back in her chair. "That's just not right."

Ryan snickered. "We can't all be lucky enough to meet a fish. I mean, a guy like Trout." She laughed louder when Lara threw a pillow at her. "Oh, and I forgot to tell you: Brody cooked me dinner a while ago."

Lara sat up, eyes wide. "Are you serious? He's cute, he's an athlete, and he cooks? Dear God, Ryan, if you don't go out with him I'm going to break up with Trout and take your place."

"Okay."

"I'm serious."

"Have at."

"Ryan." Lara threw up her hands. "What am I going to do with you?"

"Come with me tomorrow when I go to the party?" Ryan gave her friend a hopeful look. "Please?"

"Sorry. I love you like a sister, but that's beyond the call of duty." When Ryan pouted, Lara smiled. "Actually I can't. I'm meeting up with my own parents; my grandparents are visiting. Why are you going?"

"Oh, it's Evan's birthday. It'll be a family party with all our cousins and what not. I mean, that'll be nice and I've got his present but I just know how it's going to be."

Lara looked at her with sympathy. "Well, it's a birthday party, though, right? So people should be . . . distracted. They should be focused on Evan."

"My parents never miss a chance to remind me of my mistakes." Ryan shook her head. "Just grin and bear it, right?"

"I'll cover for you if you want to be sick," Lara offered.

"Tempting, but no." Ryan yawned and stretched. "I think I'll go shower and chill out for a while."

"Okay. I'm going to veg with a movie. Take it easy, Ry." Lara patted her hand as she walked by. "It's only a few hours out of one day. It won't be so bad."

Published 
Written by PennLady
Loved the story?
Show your appreciation by tipping the author!

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your erotic stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors

Comments