Season 2 - True Detective

last reply
18 replies
2.5k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Sarcastic Coffee Aficionado
0 likes
Anyone else excited about the True Detective, Season 2 starting June 21st?

The gritty, well-written, well-acted story is certainly expected after Season 1.

Colin Farrell
Vince Vaughn
Rachel McAdams

The plot

We've been teased with a reverse Russian doll of plot synopses for season two, each one getting gradually longer and more detailed. The first one offered by Pizzolatto early on was that the season would be about "hard women, bad men and the secret occult history of the United States transportation system."

The official line which has since been released states that season two centres on "three police officers and a career criminal, who must navigate a web of conspiracy in the aftermath of a murder".

That murder is of 52-year-old Ben Caspar, the corrupt manager of a fictional Californian city. His body is found on a lonely stretch of the Pacific Coast Highway, on the eve of a potentially groundbreaking transportation deal that could permanently alter freeway traffic patterns in the city. Which might not sound like a big deal, but if you've ever lived in LA, you will know it is a huge deal.

The stars

Three law enforcement officials from three different cities are tasked with solving the murder: they are police detective Ray Velcoro (Colin Farrell), sheriff Ani Bezzerides (Rachel McAdams), and highway patrol officer Paul Woodrugh (Taylor Kitsch).

Velcoro is a detective who's damaged by years of turmoil and grappling with corruption on at least two levels – his allegiances are torn between "his masters in a corrupt police department, and the mobster who owns him". Some reports have also suggested that Velcoro's chequered past involves being suspended for sexually exploiting a young woman he pulled over for speeding, but this was likely an error since this backstory seems to fit more with Kitsch's role.

Bezzerides, a role whose casting reportedly went down to the wire between McAdams and Elisabeth Moss, is a tough Ventura County sheriff whose dark past has driven her to gambling and alcohol addiction. Her no-nonsense, uncompromising ethics "put her at odds with others and the system she serves", so it's easy to see how she'll be butting heads with Farrell's more morally compromised cop.

Oh boy .... sounds like it will be as riveting as Season 1!

Van
The Linebacker
0 likes
ME! I am excited about Season 2. In fact, my wife and I just watched Season 1 this week on HBO OnDemand. It was great!
The Linebacker
0 likes
I feel bad because I forgot about this thread and posted a new one. My apologies! Van Gogh, you are welcome to give me a spanking.

I really did enjoy the great character development that the show did in its first episode. I believe we're going to now see the plot development take some very intriguing and entertaining twists. I love the characters so far. They are all dark and flawed.

I loved True Detective Season One and am betting Two will be just as great.

Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
we got hooked into it last night. damn, i didn't have any idea what was going on half the time, but it was so fascinating that it didn't matter. sooo good.

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

The Linebacker
0 likes
How many of y'all thought that Episode 2 fell flat on its face? I almost fell asleep. Then they kill off the biggest star and most interesting character in the series. They could've well done without all the hype on that. Episode 2 = dud. I was expecting a lot more out of this episode.

Was Ray wearing Kevlar? hmm... maybe that could save a sinking ship.
0 likes
I was fucking shocked at that last scene!

I was not prepared for Velcoro to be shot, and in such a brutal cold way. Did Semyon set this up??

(conspiracy theories abound!)

I don't know about the episode being a dud .... the layers of TD are many and with Season 1, there were times I wanted it to hurry up .... so I've learned a little patience.

But still .... Velcoro taking the bullets was a shocker to me.

Van
The Linebacker
0 likes
If they shoot Ani next episode I'm gonna be pissed.

I hope they don't make this like American idol and someone gets axed each week. lol

I was disappointed in the last episode. It had some real good parts, but I was hoping for more. Of course next episode might be awesome.
0 likes
Quote by Buz
If they shoot Ani next episode I'm gonna be pissed.

I hope they don't make this like American idol and someone gets axed each week. lol

I was disappointed in the last episode. It had some real good parts, but I was hoping for more. Of course next episode might be awesome.

They better not shoot Ani! Or I'm gonna be pissed too!!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
For some odd reason I didn't watch Season 1. It's still on my DVR, but I just haven't gotten around to it. I watched the first episode of Season 2 the night it aired and I am hooked. I am planning to watch the second episode tonight, as I am recording the series. HBO is the gold standard for contemporary drama, and series like these show why.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I was devastated when Velcoro was shot. I didn't see that coming. I am eagerly awaiting next Sunday's episode.
The Linebacker
0 likes
Vince Vaughn's character Frank Semyon sure got a lot more interesting. This was a fun episode. But that shotgun 'riot shot' trick on Velcoro was a cheap tactic to hold viewers. So Velcoro is still alive. I wondered if they'd pull something like that, but I knew from last week's scene that he wasn't wearing a bullet proof vest. Still the episode was very entertaining.
Gravelly-Voiced Fucker
0 likes
I haven't seen the latest one, but assumed Velcoro would still be alive. It was shocking, but overall I am disappointed.

Last season was much better than this one, mostly because of Matthew McConahey's (sp?) mesmerizing performance. Who knew he could act!?

This season seems so humorless and slow and needlessly dark, with everyone staring into space portentously and delivering lines in a monotone. I will continue to give it a chance, because season one was SO good. And Rachel McAdams is really good in it. I wish they'd show us more of her life.
0 likes
This season is very dark, but I thought Season 1 was pretty dark, as well.

I often feel a bit lost during the episodes .... so I watch it a second time later in the week, and I seem to catch more. More Questions than Answers, though.

Vince Vaughan is outstanding .... I can't fucking stand his character.

Colin Farrell's Velcoro is so broken.

Then Rachel McAdam's character, Ani ..... that's gonna be a deep reveal, I think .... if they even do much revealing.is

I believe the acting is fabulous.

Van
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
I loved the first series with woody and Matt and all the way through kept us in the edge of our seat ,but this series I can't seem to get into. The cast line up is strong and if it was for Taylor kitsch then I probably wouldn't keep watching .
0 likes
Quote by addictedtoink69
I loved the first series with woody and Matt and all the way through kept us in the edge of our seat ,but this series I can't seem to get into. The cast line up is strong and if it was for Taylor kitsch then I probably wouldn't keep watching .

Well, looks like TD has killed your inspiration.

I still am enjoying this season; edgy, dark, leading us ...... where?

I need a scoreboard to keep things linked .... sigh

Van
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
I enjoyed this second season, it had an incredible shootout halfway through the season too.