last reply
33 replies
2.6k views
0 watchers
0 likes
"insensitive prick!" – Danielle Algo
0 likes
Quote by trinket
Is this supposed to be funny? Because it's not.

i think this is in REALLY bad taste.

Yes I just judged you. Sue me

EDITED.

Based on your original comment, you seem to think that people in the autism-spectrum are the butt of this joke, which is clearly not the case. Far from it even.

===  Not ALL LIVES MATTER until BLACK LIVES MATTER  ===

Lurker
0 likes
Quote by BiMale73

Based on your original comment, you seem to think that people in the autism-spectrum are the butt of this joke, which is clearly not the case. Far from it even.

So then please, explain your case.
Unfuckwithable
0 likes
Quote by BiMale73

I don't find anything about being autistic even slightly humorous. I too find this thread anything but "amusing". Your cartoon is ambiguous at best, insulting and offensive at worst, no matter which side of the argument you take. Yeah, I'm judging you too. Sue me as well. Very poor taste.
Prolific Writer
0 likes
This is really inappropriate during autism awareness month. I don't know what you were trying to convey.

It's in poor taste. Usually during this month we as parents of autistic children try to reach as many people as we can and explain what autism is. How this disorder affects our children. Teach people ignorance is the tragedy not Autism.

I'm not sure what you were trying to do here.

Xo
0 likes
Quote by SugarBaby2013
So then please, explain your case.

It's not that difficult. The joke is about the claim* that vaccines cause autism, it's not about autism itself or the people having it. If you can't distinguish between these things then many great jokes will be lost on/offend you I'm afraid.

* a claim that has been debunked by research over and over again.

Unfuckwithable
0 likes
Quote by BiMale73

It's not that difficult. The joke is about the claim* that vaccines cause autism, it's not about autism itself or the people having it. If you can't distinguish between these things then many great jokes will be lost on/offend you I'm afraid.

This is the problem... there is nothing to be made fun of concerning autism. It doesn't matter that we don't get your joke. There's nothing here to joke about.

Very very poor taste. And you just don't get it.
Prolific Writer
0 likes
Try being a parent of an autistic child. to joke about autism is a bit strange.
I hope you never have to have a child with autism. If you had one, you'd understand joking about vaccines is a mood point.

Xo

I have two children with autism. Not sure if it was the vaccines, flu shot. I would never joke about it. The month of April is Autism Awareness.
0 likes
Can someone please explain to me what it is about this specific cartoon that is so offensive? Is it the mere mention of autism in a joke or is it something else, like people are still buying into the 'vaccines cause autism' story?

Prolific Writer
0 likes
If you had a kid with autism you'd get that the cartoon is not appropriate during Autism awareness month.

Xo
Unfuckwithable
0 likes
My god. Can you please stop feigning surprise that people are offended by any attempt at making jokes surrounding autism. There is NOTHING funny here. And during autism awareness month? Please. Are you planning on making cancer jokes during Breast Cancer Awareness? Your insensitivity is appalling.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by BiMale73

It all boils down to YOU are a fucking JERK! Unless you HAVE a child with autism, then you don't know shit about it.

So go play somewhere else.
Unicorn Wrangler
0 likes
Quote by BiMale73
Can someone please explain to me what it is about this specific cartoon that is so offensive? Is it the mere mention of autism in a joke or is it something else, like people are still buying into the 'vaccines cause autism' story?

I'll try.

The cartoon is trying to make light of a very serious issue. While you are correct that the myth that vaccines has been debunked, it still doesn't stop some parents from not vaccinating their child(ren) and putting other children at risk for diseases like measles, whooping cough, mumps, etc. Sadly, I've met a parent of an autistic child who swears up and down his vaccines were the cause of his autism (despite what the research has said.) I hope one day the "cause" of autism can be found.

Making a joke about autism is in the same category of poor taste as making a joke about someone who is retarded or suffers from other disabilities.

While I'm not a parent of an autistic child... I have 6 autistic students in my classes this school year. They struggle everyday to pick up simple social cues and struggle with figurative language. Some will stem or fixate on an item, others will burst into tears for no reason I can see. All six of my students have different issues and I must be very careful to not upset them. They struggle with stress and they don't do change very well.

So, no, the joke isn't funny. The cartoon is offensive.

0 likes
Quote by amy1967
My god. Can you please stop feigning surprise that people are offended by any attempt at making jokes surrounding autism. There is NOTHING funny here. And during autism awareness month? Please. Are you planning on making cancer jokes during Breast Cancer Awareness? Your insensitivity is appalling.

I wasn't aware of Autism Awareness Month when I posted it. I am now. A tiny win for awareness.

We have this one city here in the Netherlands where most high-tech companies are concentrated. There's, like mentioned in the cartoon, an over-representation of people in the autism-spectrum there. Something similar is probably the case in Silicon Valley. Within the spectrum there are highly brilliant people, who can cope with their disability and even excell by it. There's a lot more in the spectrum of course, but it's this part of the spectrum the cartoon clearly refers to.

Convict
0 likes
Quote by BiMale73

I know the joke was about the belief by some that autism is or can be caused by vaccinations. I still didn't think it was funny.
0 likes
Quote by trinket
I still didn't think it was funny.

That's OK, it's not a requirement.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Educate yourself .... Bimale
Don't make stupid remarks without knowing what your talking about.
There are various opinions on the matter but that wasn't your intention to discuss.
Lurker
0 likes
The joke isn't offensive in the slightest. If anything, it's quite complimentary towards people with Autism

What it's saying is that vaccines doesn't cause autism, but with a high number of Autistic people in research science, that 'Autism causes Vaccines'. Or rather, Autistic people have a huge input/responsibility on the creation of vaccines.

So I really don't see what's offensive? Be it 'Autism awareness month' or not (although, that must be an American thing. Like Bi Male, I've never heard of Autism Awareness Month).

Is it funny? Well, I didn't laugh. But that's a mute point. Certainly I agree with Bi Male- there is absolutely nothing in that cartoon that is in the least bit offensive towards Autistic people (and if anything, like I said, is actually complimentary). I fear that some people here have seen the word Autism, not really understood the message, and then assumed it's supposed to be offensive.

Although if we were to stop telling jokes that didn't offend someone, we'd only be left with 'why did the chicken cross the road'. Although, that's a different argument I guess.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
There is high function autistic spectrum. But again, and this is going off of bimale's rebuttal, I do not feel this was an educated post. We've all been there, not going to burn him at the stake but it clearly is a subject matter for debate, clinically, scientifically and emotionally. It's because of that I personally wouldn't choose to cartoon it.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I have an autistic son and he was one of the ones around when this theory was first voiced. A pediatrician told us that this may have been the cause but then stopped advocating this - maybe because they were afraid of some litigation or maybe because they stopped believing the theory. Either way it doesn't change my son's condition. I found the cartoon not particularly offensive but it hardly made me collapse on the floor in helpless glee.
Prolific Writer
0 likes
Quote by TheAngryishLover
The joke isn't offensive in the slightest. If anything, it's quite complimentary towards people with Autism

What it's saying is that vaccines doesn't cause autism, but with a high number of Autistic people in research science, that 'Autism causes Vaccines'. Or rather, Autistic people have a huge input/responsibility on the creation of vaccines.

So I really don't see what's offensive? Be it 'Autism awareness month' or not (although, that must be an American thing. Like Bi Male, I've never heard of Autism Awareness Month).

Is it funny? Well, I didn't laugh. But that's a mute point. Certainly I agree with Bi Male- there is absolutely nothing in that cartoon that is in the least bit offensive towards Autistic people (and if anything, like I said, is actually complimentary). I fear that some people here have seen the word Autism, not really understood the message, and then assumed it's supposed to be offensive.

Although if we were to stop telling jokes that didn't offend someone, we'd only be left with 'why did the chicken cross the road'. Although, that's a different argument I guess.

Until you have a family member or a child with Autism you would never get why these jokes as you put it would not hurt a parent or even a child who suffers with autism.

Until you walk a day in their shoes you will never understand how hurtful these things are.

I have two children with autism and the daily struggles are unimaginable for anybody who doesn't understand.

Instead of these jokes, perhaps go on a website to learn about autism. Check out www.autismspeaks.org, Aspen (Asperger Autism Spectrum Education Network.

Did you know that 1 in 68 children have autism. That's a lot of children. And they still do not know how or why this is.

Xo
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Mysteria27

Until you have a family member or a child with Autism you would never get why these jokes as you put it would not hurt a parent or even a child who suffers with autism.

Until you walk a day in their shoes you will never understand how hurtful these things are.

I have two children with autism and the daily struggles are unimaginable for anybody who doesn't understand.

Instead of these jokes, perhaps go on a website to learn about autism. Check out www.autismspeaks.org, Aspen (Asperger Autism Spectrum Education Network.

Did you know that 1 in 68 children have autism. That's a lot of children. And they still do not know how or why this is.

Xo

Well I can do one better than having a family member....I am on the Autism scale. Not as much as my sister, who has it a lot worse than I do, but I'm still on it. My Autism comes out like a 'bluntness', and I struggle with empathy (that being said, I find things easier than I did as a child).

I was diagnosed with dyspraxia as a child (or 'clumsy child syndrome', as they called it back then...now that was a little offensive), which is a condition that is often linked with Autism (not everyone with Dyspraxia has Autism, but a lot of us do).

Now that I've 'come out', does that qualify me to say that the joke wasn't offensive or hurtful?

As Bi Male said...what was it exactly that offended you about the 'joke'? Because although it wasn't funny, it certainly wasn't offensive.
Prolific Writer
0 likes

Well I can do one better than having a family member....I am on the Autism scale. Not as much as my sister, who has it a lot worse than I do, but I'm still on it. My Autism comes out like a 'bluntness', and I struggle with empathy (that being said, I find things easier than I did as a child).

I was diagnosed with dyspraxia as a child (or 'clumsy child syndrome', as they called it back then...now that was a little offensive), which is a condition that is often linked with Autism (not everyone with Dyspraxia has Autism, but a lot of us do).

Now that I've 'come out', does that qualify me to say that the joke wasn't offensive or hurtful?

As Bi Male said...what was it exactly that offended you about the 'joke'? Because although it wasn't funny, it certainly wasn't offensive.

I'm sorry that you have that. I had never heard of Dyspraxia and did some reading about it. Thank you for making me aware of your condition.

Like I said.....Awareness with these types of disorders is always better then Jokes. We can all learn a little more each time.

I would like to pick your brain a little, since you are older and live with Autism. I'll PM you sometime so we can have a private conversation. I always like to hear from adults who live with Autism.

God Bless....I hope your daily struggles get easier each day.

Hugs,
xo
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I didn't find the cartoon offensive. It's not funny either, but not all cartoons are meant to be funny. They can make us think. This particular thread has now exposed many of us to Autism Awareness Month. I was unaware of it here in Canada. I think most people are aware of the debunked connection between vaccines and autism, but maybe many are unaware of the struggles of autistic people and their families. This thread is serving a positive service then after all.
0 likes

Sorry to hear that man. Hopefully it's not too much of a burden to live with.

Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Mysteria27

I would like to pick your brain a little, since you are older and live with Autism. I'll PM you sometime so we can have a private conversation. I always like to hear from adults who live with Autism.

God Bless....I hope your daily struggles get easier each day.

Hugs,
xo

Feel free to ask me any question you like, but remember....I'm on the 'scale'. I would say I'm aware of my Autism, but not many people around me are. Growing up, I knew I viewed the world differently to those around me, but at the same time I'm no 'Rain Man'. As I said, my sister has it worse than I do.

My problem is mostly with the Dyspraxia, and there is a little bit of Autism thrown in. If you met me once, heck if you met me lots, you probably wouldn't even notice it. I don't know if that's because it's got 'better' as I've got older, or if it's because I've learned how to behave 'properly' around other people....at best, you'd think I'm normal, at worst, you might think I'm a bit of an arse/weird. Very few people get to see and understand that part of me.

Those who do notice it though, tend to joke about it...as do I. I think it's important to be able to joke about things/yourself, and you can do that without being offensive. I jumped to the defence of Bi Male because I don't want to live in a world where we can't find the humour in even the worst of things.

For example, last night my mate was over and we watched, amongst other things, an episode of Big Bang Theory. Whenever we do this, invariably Sheldon will do something which will cause my friend to point at him, and then me, and go 'that's you'....and he is normally right! And in response, I call him a cunt....and I'm normally right too.

But it is banter between friends, and not something to be dismissed as offensive. If I was a stranger, or my problems were severely limiting, then maybe not as funny....but otherwise, we need to take light of things- hence my defence of Bi Male. That, and the fact that the cartoon wasn't in the least bit offensive!

Quote by BiMale73

Sorry to hear that man. Hopefully it's not too much of a burden to live with.

It's not a burden at all. As I mentioned above, I'm on the 'scale', but it's really not that bad.

The fact is, I don't see it as a debilitating thing anyway. My issue is Dyspraxia, which is considered some sort of 'learning difficulty'. But I genuinely believe that the only reason it's considered that is because of the way we are all taught exactly the same way as children. The problem with that is, we all learn differently. Those that don't learn in the very rigid way we are taught, are considered to have a 'learning difficulty'.

If everyone was taught the way that would suit me best, then I'd all of a sudden be top of a class, and the others around me would be considered to have the 'learning difficulty'. Doesn't make sense to me that we take all children, who are all different, and then teach them all exactly the same way. Of course of them are going to fail, or have no chance to get through school. It makes no sense to me that we should do that.

If you give me a text book and all the time in the world, I wouldn't learn I thing. I just can't process that information. I can actually feel the 'block' between reading information, and it being 'processed'. BUT....I'm extremely visual. If I see something, I'll probably remember it for ever. I'm actually one of the smartest people I know (if I may say that without sounding too arrogant!). I can have deep conversations about a range of subjects- but I just didn't learn that stuff from reading.

I could talk for hours about all the things I can do well, some things exceptionally well, that is because of my Dyspraxia. Yes, there are then things I can't do, or that I'm bad at...but it's all a balance. So there is no burden whatsoever, and actually lots and lots of positives. That's what I would tell anyone who get's diagnosed with it. Don't see it as a bad thing- see it as just being different. Then turn it into a positive- I certainly did.

In fact, some of the most successful people in the world have 'learning difficulties', because they did exactly the same thing..
0 likes
If everyone was taught the way that would suit me best, then I'd all of a sudden be top of a class, and the others around me would be considered to have the 'learning difficulty'. Doesn't make sense to me that we take all children, who are all different, and then teach them all exactly the same way. Of course of them are going to fail, or have no chance to get through school. It makes no sense to me that we should do that.

I guess there should be a balance between making every kid a special case and giving each the education that suits them best.

As for tv-shows: I prefer Community over The Big Bang Theory. I find the characters in TBBT, especially Sheldon, way too one-dimensional in their stereotypes.

Prolific Writer
0 likes

It's not a burden at all. As I mentioned above, I'm on the 'scale', but it's really not that bad.

The fact is, I don't see it as a debilitating thing anyway. My issue is Dyspraxia, which is considered some sort of 'learning difficulty'. But I genuinely believe that the only reason it's considered that is because of the way we are all taught exactly the same way as children. The problem with that is, we all learn differently. Those that don't learn in the very rigid way we are taught, are considered to have a 'learning difficulty'.

If you give me a text book and all the time in the world, I wouldn't learn I thing. I just can't process that information. I can actually feel the 'block' between reading information, and it being 'processed'. BUT....I'm extremely visual. If I see something, I'll probably remember it for ever. I'm actually one of the smartest people I know (if I may say that without sounding too arrogant!). I can have deep conversations about a range of subjects- but I just didn't learn that stuff from reading.

I could talk for hours about all the things I can do well, some things exceptionally well, that is because of my Dyspraxia. Yes, there are then things I can't do, or that I'm bad at...but it's all a balance. So there is no burden whatsoever, and actually lots and lots of positives. That's what I would tell anyone who get's diagnosed with it. Don't see it as a bad thing- see it as just being different. Then turn it into a positive- I certainly did.

In fact, some of the most successful people in the world have 'learning difficulties', because they did exactly the same thing..

I'm glad you are able to live quite normally.

I do hope my children will too. They do have a little more issues then you do. I'm hopeful but life is a journey. I hope they have a happy ending like yours. I pray and get them as much therapy and social opportunities that I can.

Hugs you,
Mysteria
xo
The Linebacker
0 likes
I'm sure y'all are familiar with all of those side-effect disclosures at the end of prescription drug commercials on TV or in the fine print at the bottom of print ads. Well, that's because all prescription drugs can react badly with some people. Generally, somewhere less than 10% of all people who take a drug are going to have a very negative reaction.

BECAUSE NOTHING IS 100% The same with everything else in life. Everything you do is a gamble. Taking a shower is a gamble. You could slip, crack your head open and kill yourself any morning or evening you get in that shower. You could get killed in an accident on the way to work. Yes, shit happens!

So while the majority may greatly benefit, a very small group may not. Autism and vaccines? Hell, I don't know if vaccines actually cause that. Would the drug companies be honest in their research? hahaha And the government? Seriously, who trusts the government?

But still, vaccines are necessary to control diseases that have ravaged the human population for centuries and in some cases milleniums.

Hmmm... the earth is vastly overpopulated. On second thought, let's stop ALL vaccines, let Darwinism rule. Yes, only the survival of the fittest. Once the population dwindles to a manageable level, we can all eat healthy organic food.

When I do have my own children, I plan on having them get all of the necessary vaccines available. That is a gamble I believe in taking.