Join the best erotica focused adult social network now
Login

My Aunt. Chapter 14

"Who does Victoria meet?"

7
8 Comments 8
4.6k Views 4.6k
3.6k words 3.6k words
I returned to the table and sat opposite Melissa.

"Did you find it?" she asked.

"Oh, yes, thank you." I replied. "Much better now."

The waitress appeared, pushing a small wheeled trolley. Onto the centre of the table she placed a large, three tiered cake stand.

On the bottom tier, the largest, was a selection of small sandwiches, all neatly cut into triangles with the crusts removed. There were various fillings. Some were cucumber, some salmon and others contained cheese.

On the middle level were freshly made scones with small dishes containing thick cream and fresh conserve.

Finally, on the top level were two slices of victoria sponge cake filled with fresh cream and jam. It all looked exquisite.

It reminded me of the afternoon tea I had been served when I arrived at Woolverstone.

The waitress then placed a large pot of tea on the table along with a small jug of fresh milk and a small bowl of sugar.

"Will that be all, Miss?" she asked me, obviously noting Melissa's maids uniform now that she had removed her coat.

I replied, "Yes, thank you," and she smiled and pushed the now empty trolley back into the kitchen.

The table was situated in front of a window which looked out onto the street. I was fascinated by the hustle and bustle in the busy street outside. No-one seemed to have time to stand still. Trams rattled and clanked along and many horse drawn carts passed by, carrying all manner of goodness knows what, from boxes and crates to sacks and barrels. There was an occasional lorry and even less often, a car.

There was a constant honk of car horns and scream of klaxons as the vehicles wove their way slowly through the throng of people crossing the road.

I could have sat there all day just watching, but then my thoughts turned to Thomas.

I wondered whether he was still in the garden as I sat and enjoyed my lunch.

Slowly, I was brought back to reality as I heard Melissa speak.

"I am sorry, I was miles away," I told her. "What did you say?"

"I just wondered what you were thinking as you stare out of the window, Miss Victoria."

I wanted her to call me just plain Victoria but I wasn't sure whether that was the done thing. I liked Melissa, she was like a kindly aunt. Not quite like Lady Helen, but she was sweet.

"Oh, just enjoyng watching everyone to-ing and fro-ing. I am only really used to seeing trees and mountains. I have never really been to a big city like this before."

"This not a city, Miss, but I do understand what you mean."

When we finished eating, Melissa paid the bill and we returned to the street.

"Would you like to see Christchurch Mansion and the park?" Melissa asked.

"Yes. All right," I said. I had seen mansions but I didn't mind another look, especially when Melissa told me it belonged to the corporation of Ipswich rather than a family.

The next two hours passed very quickly indeed and before long we were hurrying back to the hotel to meet Sir Michael.

It was almost four when we arrived and the car pulled up at the front, almost at the same moment as we did.

Charlie Manston quickly jumped from the driving seat and walked smartly round and opened the door for us.

I thanked him and asked, "How is your hand?" as I stepped onto the running board.

"Oh, not so bad now, Miss. Thank you."

"You must be more careful in the future," I smiled and I stepped into the car, taking my seat beside Melissa."

"Yes, Miss, I will," he replied, before closing the door with a click and just as quickly returned to the driving seat.

The journey home was uneventful. This time though, I didn't have to hold my hat as Melissa had given me some money to buy a hat with a ribbon.

If I was going to make a habit of coming into town, I thought, I will ask Aunt Helen for an allowance. It was a little embarrassing having the housekeeper pay for everything.

When we arrived back at Woolverstone, Aunt Helen was waiting in the hall of the East Wing.

"Ah, there you ar,." she said. "Did you have a nice day?"

"Yes thank you, Aunt Helen, most interesting," I replied.

"And did you achieve all that you wanted?"

I thought immediately of the telephone call.

"Yes, thank you, I did."

"Very good. Dinner will be at six thirty today. I have guests and they cannot stay too late so please do not be late." She raised an eyebrow, no doubt referring to my first day.

I smiled back at her and promised I would not be. She looked then at Melissa.

"I need to speak to you immediately, Melissa."

"Yes, Ma'am," came the reply and without so much as a glance in my direction they turned and disappeared into the drawing room.

Household business I supposed as I untied the ribbon of my hat which, I was sorry to note, my aunt had not even noticed, and unbuttoned my coat as I climbed the shallow stairs to the first floor landing.

There was plenty of time until dinner so I decided to have a bath and wash away the grime from the day. As much as I had enjoyed my day, I did feel very dirty so I walked immediately to the bathroom and pulled the cord beside the bath then returned to my room to undress, closing the door behind me.

Soon I heard the splashing of hot water being poured into the bath tub and the splashing of the cold water from the tap as whoever was filling it strove to mix the correct temperature.

I was feeling a touch playful so I decided that I would tease Bethany a little. I hung my coat in the closet and unbuttoned my dress, letting it fall to the floor. When the knock on the door came, as I knew it would, I turned my back to it, wearing nothing but my silk knickers and called out 'enter' as I reached for my robe from the bed

The door creaked open and I slowly reached over to the bed, hoping that Bethany would like what she saw. I knew it was mean of me to tease her so, but I knew she liked me and I couldn't help myself. I wasn't showing anything, I reasoned, so I wasn't really being bad, just a little mischievous.

"Oh, Excuse me, Miss Victoria! I thought you said I could come in."

"Sally!" I exclaimed, quickly pulling my robe around me. "I didn't expect you so fast," I lied, feeling very silly indeed and hugely embarrassed.

"Should I have waited?" she asked, a little hesitantly.

"Oh, no, of course not. I am sorry, it was entirely my fault. I am still not used to being looked after so well." I hoped she would not see it for the blatant lie that it was.

Silence fell for a moment until she pointed towards the open door.

"I, er, I was just letting you know that your bath is ready." She seemed a little awkward.

"Yes, thank you." I pulled the cord tighter around my waist and tied it in a bow, turning fully towards her.

"Is there anything else, Miss? Only we are very busy in the kitchen, what with the guests coming shortly. Bethany is run ragged."

That explained why she was not here then.

"No, no, that is fine, Sally. You go and help her. I will be all right here."

"Thank you, Miss." Sally gave a little courtsey and returned to the bathroom and on through to the servants quarters the other side.

I wondered what was such a big problem as I climbed into the hot clean water. After all, there had been ten to cater for the day I arrived and all seemed well then.

The heat soon soothed away any concerns I may have had, along with the grime from the days adventures and I relaxed with my lavender soap and wash cloth.

On the dot of six thirty I pushed open the heavy dining room door and entered. My eyes opened wide.

"Thomas!"

He was seated at one side of the table. On the opposite side to him were a very smartly suited gentleman and a very attractive middle aged lady.

Thomas himself looked resplendent in his uniform, the partially empty sleeve pinned neatly up.

"Good Evening, Victoria," he said happily, struggling to his feet. The gentleman also stood whilst the lady turned in her chair to face me.

"Thomas, please, I told you it is not neccesary to stand for me. I know how difficult it is for you."

Aunt Helen was seated in her usual place at the head of the table.

"Good evening, Victoria," she smiled widely. "You already know Thomas, of course."

I didn't reply but smiled in agreement, allowing her to continue uninterrupted.

"Allow me to introduce Mr. George Billington..." The gentleman bowed slightly and smiled, "...and his wife Sarah, Thomas' parents."

"We have heard so much about you already," the lady said.

Aunt Helen continued before I could reply.

"Miss Victoria Harcourt."

"I am pleased to meet you," I replied, almost at a loss for words.

I went to take my place at the opposite end of the table to Lady Helen but she indicated that I should sit beside Thomas. I had noticed that no place had been set at the end. George Billington sat down after I was seated and his wife began to speak.

"I am sorry to have surprised you so, Miss Harcourt, but we came up from London to visit Thomas and your aunt insisted we stay and meet you. You are all Thomas has talked about all afternoon."

"Mother, Please!" Thomas interrupted. "Victoria does not wish to hear about that!"

I placed my hand upon his.

"Don't worry, Mrs. Billington," I reassured her, "and please, call me Victoria."

Aunt Helen rang the liitle handbell and the kitchen door soon opened. Bethany appeared looking a little red faced and flustered, carrying a tray with five large soup bowls and a small tureen.

"Good evening, Bethany," I greeted her.

"Oh, er, Good evenin', Miss Victoria," she replied as she placed the tray on the small stand a short distance from the main table.

She ladelled the soup, one dish at a time, and placed one in front of each of us, beginning with Mrs. Billngton and ending with Lady Helen.

As we ate, Mrs.

LillyMayer1
Online Now!
Lush Cams
LillyMayer1

Billington spoke first.

"Thomas is coming on splendidly, don't you think, Victoria?"

"Oh yes, indeed," I agreed. "To be so cheerful with such terrible injuries is wonderful."

"We are very proud of him, of course," George Billington joined in. "We tried so hard to protect him."

'Yes, I know, he told me," I replied.

"It seems he has told you much in such a short time," Sarah said, but without any hint of animosity, just in a matter-of-fact kind of way. "It also seems he has a special nurse," she smiled.

"Has he?" I exclaimed, quite surprised. "He never told me that. I thought he just had the same nurses as everyone else!"

Thomas squeezed my hand.

"I think she means you," he said gently.

"Oh gosh!" My face suddenly felt hot, "I haven't done any nursing for Thomas, Mrs. Billington."

She smiled again and replied, "Well, maybe not physically but you have supported him and when he was sick you gave him hope. In my book that is as good as any nurse can offer."

I looked done at my soup, my face was on fire now and Thomas squeezed my hand tightly.

"Oh, Thomas, you haven't touched your soup!" I said suddenly, as the thought hit me that he could not see it and he only had one hand to eat with. The hand that was holding mine! "Here let me help you."

"You see, Mother? Always thoughtful."

"Yes, Thomas," she replied, softly. "I see."

I guided his hand to the spoon and then to the bowl.

"Thank you," he smiled, "I can manage now."

As he lifted the spoon to his lips I stopped him quickly.

"Thomas, wait," I said, my hand pressing gently on his wrist. "The spoon is upside down!"

"Oh dear, I shall get used to that one day," he laughed, as did the rest of us.

As the evening wore on, we chatted a lot and I found that I liked Thomas' parents.

I could not blame them for trying to protect their son and keep him safe. I realised that this was very much what my own parents had tried to do for me, but they agreed that as we grow we have to make our own way in the world and make our own decisions in life.

Aunt Helen, sipping from her wine glass, after the meal was finished, suddenly spoke up.

"You know, Victoria, I believe George and Sarah met your parents once, before you were born."

"You did?" I queried, turning to Mr. and Mrs. Billington.

"Yes, I seem to remember it was here, at a dinner party. If I remember correctly, they were looking for a lawyer to sort out some legal stuff. That's right isn't it, Helen?" He turned to my aunt.

"That's correct, George. There was some reason why you couldn't help them."

"Ah yes, that's it." It was as though his memory had just returned. "It was about some civil matter. I am a criminal Barrister, so didn't really have the knowledge they needed."

I was intrigued by this news as I was never given any insight at all into my parents private affairs.

"What was the problem they needed a lawyer for?" I asked, my curiosity well and truly aroused.

"I am afraid they didn't say. When I explained my position the matter was not raised again."

"Your Mother was very quiet the whole evening as I recall." Sarah Billington spoke to me as though she was pondering some puzzle.

George looked Aunt Helen.

"You used to give such wonderful parties, Helen. Didn't she my dear." He turned to his wife.

"It was so long ago, George, we were so young then," Sarah replied wistfully. "So much has happened since then.

She turned back to me.

"I became pregnant with young Thomas," she said, smiling and looking at him beside me. "Suddenly, we had to grow-up."

"And you, Helen," George asked, "what made you stop giving them?"

"It's a long story, George, one that I may tell in my dotage when the young ones ask about what we did when we were young."

Lady Helen sat quietly for a moment. She looked directly at me, a small smile playing upon her lips as the memories of her younger days filled her mind.

"In the end, though, we all had to grow up," she said to no-one in particular and dropped her gaze. "We had to stop sometime."

"Hmm, yes, I suppose so. It must be twenty years or so since your last one?"

"Not quite, George. Just about nineteen." The reply seemed very precise. I felt that she remembered the exact date.

"Ah well, happy days," he replied with a sigh.

"Were they, George?" she replied. "Hmm, yes, I suppose they were."

There was silence then as though each of them were lost in their dreams and memories.

It was Thomas who broke the silence.

"What were Victoria's parents like? If you don't mind me asking, Victoria," he added, almost as an afterthought.

"Not at all," I said. "I don't know much about their young lives before I was born. I was too young to even think of asking..." My voice trailed away as I thought of all the things I now wanted to know but could not ask as they were no longer alive.

"Well, as I recall," George began, "Your father was the strong one. Bear in mind though that we only met them the once but he was the one who did most of the talking that night. Your mother sat quietly and spoke mostly to Thomas' mother."

Sarah took up the conversation.

"Yes, indeed. I don't think your mother was very happy that day. She didn't say much and what she did say seemed a bit of an effort. Just short sentences mainly."

"I think she was a little unwell," Aunt Helen quickly added. "That's if my memory serves me. She did used to suffer the womans curse you know, quite badly sometimes."

"Oh, well, yes. That would indeed explain it," Sarah replied.

"You parents were very outgoing, Victoria, when they were young, very much in love too. "All of a sudden I began to visualise them together, drowning in each others arms as the dying ship slipped quickly beneath the waves.

I knew that the giant liner had suffered an enormous explosion as the torpedo struck and heeled over and sank. It was gone in just twenty minutes and I had always told myself that they must have died quickly and painlessly, but I realised now that I could never be sure of that.

My bottom lip began to quiver and my eyes moistened as Aunt Helen spoke of them.

"They never went anywhere without each other and.... Oh, Victoria, I am so sorry!" she said, rising quickly to her feet. "How thoughtless of me."

Before she had a chance to come to me, Thomas put his arm around my shoulder.

"Hey, now!" he said, 'There there. Hush, it's all right."

He held me tightly to him and I felt protected and safe but, all the same, I gently pushed away from him.

"No, please, I am all right now," I sobbed a little as I wiped my eyes with my napkin. "I haven't had much time to think of them since it happened and this has just brought it home to me that I will never see them again."

There was a short silence as I composed myself which was finally broken when George announced that they had to leave.

"I am sorry to leave you this way, Victoria, but we have to catch the last train back to London."

"Please," I replied. "There is no need to apologise. I have enjoyed meeting you."

"As have we meeting you," Thomas' mother added. "I am pleased that our son has such a lovely woman to raise his spirits."

They left in a hackney carriage for the station and, as it whined away down the drive, I turned to Aunt Helen.

"Is it all right if I help Thomas back to his room?"

"Yes, of course," she said. "But straight back and no lingering."

Did I imagine it or was there a twinkle in her eye?

“ No, I promise. I will come straight back.”

We walked slowly and I held his injured arm very carefully as his stick was occupying the other.

“ I like your parents, Thomas.”

He smiled as though thinking of the evening that was ending.

“ They mean well, Victoria. For all their faults, I do love them dearly,” he replied.

“They remind me a little of my own,” I told him. “They would have wrapped me in cotton wool and locked me in a room if they thought it would protect me. As it was, they sent me to the best but remotest boarding school they could afford.”

Thomas was quiet for a moment.

“I'm sorry I asked about them,” he said at last. “I should have realised that it was too soon.”

“ No, it's all right,” I reassured him. “I cannot pretend they never existed. I needed to cry for them at some time.”

The remainder of the walk took just a few minutes and in no time at all we were in the entrance hall of the main house.

“Evenin', Miss 'arcourt,” the guard greeted me from the door of his office. “I'll call an orderly to take Private Billington to 'is billet.”

“ Oh, all right, thank you,” I replied. I knew I could not take him further without an orderly but, nevertheless, I was a little disappointed.

The orderly arrived in seconds and I said my goodbyes to Thomas and began to walk slowly back to the East Wing.

It was very dark now. The outside lights had been extinguished after the Zeppelin raid and the heavy curtains throughout the house were drawn before any lights could be turned on.

I trod carefully in the dim light, not wanting to trip over some unseen stone or kerb and, as I rounded the corner of the house, I kicked something small.

I bent to try to see what it was and as I searched I saw something shining dimly at the edge of the brickwork.

When I reached down to pick it up I found it was a very thin chain necklace with a tiny letter 'M' attached.

“Oh, what a shame!” I thought. “I wonder who lost this?”

I closed my hand around it and continued into the house and back to the dining room. It was empty so I looked into the drawing room. It too was empty.

Strange, I thought. Everyone must be busy.

To be continued...

Published 
Written by Annamagique
Loved the story?
Show your appreciation by tipping the author!

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your erotic stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors

Comments