How long should a paragraph be?

last reply
31 replies
3.6k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Matriarch
0 likes
I agree with the author of the article below, about half a dozen well formed sentences is about right in my opinion. Any more and the text becomes a hard to read block. Any less, it can read as disjointed.

Of course there are no hard and fast rules, however I've just seen a story where the author has actually put thought into separating the story into sections, one of which was 93 lines long - that just makes my eyes hurt, sorry!

This is worth a quick read: http://www.english.uga.edu/writingcenter/writing/paragraph.html
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
one thought one paragraph. Nicola is right read the thread
Carpe Diem

Red out
Lurker
0 likes
We learned that in junior high school. Is it that some people just didn't "get" it or that they didn't go to school or are just plain lazy?
Matriarch
0 likes
Sometimes people need to be reminded of the basics. I find it unreadable if it's one huge block.
Lurker
0 likes
Yea so do I. I usually give up before it gives me a headache.
Mr Nobody
0 likes
Quote by chefkathleen
Yea so do I. I usually give up before it gives me a headache.

The width of a penis ..rather than the length is good

Holding it up to the screen is more difficult
Matriarch
0 likes
DB, you're a disgrace!
Mr Nobody
0 likes
Quote by nicola
DB, you're a disgrace!

I know! its a sickness ..
Lurker
0 likes
A paragraph is like coming up for air. Don't stay underwater for more then several sentences.
Lurker
0 likes
A paragraph is like coming up for air. Don't stay underwater for more then several sentences.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by nicola
I agree with the author of the article below, about half a dozen well formed sentences is about right in my opinion. Any more and the text becomes a hard to read block. Any less, it can read as disjointed.

Of course there are no hard and fast rules, however I've just seen a story where the author has actually put thought into separating the story into sections, one of which was 93 lines long - that just makes my eyes hurt, sorry!

This is worth a quick read: http://www.english.uga.edu/writingcenter/writing/paragraph.html

Yeah, I tend to write an average of four to seven sentences. Sometimes less, never more. (Quoth the raven).

I picked up a book once and the author had a passion for sentences that were too long, and it made paragraphs ridiculously long. Like - on entire page. I wondered how poorly edited the book was, overall, and the though that it was all like that made me not bother to read it.
The Linebacker
0 likes
As a dyslexic I can say that long paragraphs can be difficult to negotiate. I find myself reading the same line again. Really annoying. In fact I may pass on reading that story if the paragraphs are too long. Reading stories should be pleasurable and relaxing, not hard work.
Buxom Enigma
0 likes
I advise the writers that 4-7 sentences is a great length. Though, a bit of dialogue as it's own works, too. HATE it when dialogue gets lost in a forever-ling paragraph!
"Good writing is supposed to evoke sensation in the reader - not the fact that it is raining, but the feeling of being rained upon." -E.L. Doctorow
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Buz
As a dyslexic I can say that long paragraphs can be difficult to negotiate. I find myself reading the same line again. Really annoying. In fact I may pass on reading that story if the paragraphs are too long. Reading stories should be pleasurable and relaxing, not hard work.

Don't worry, everyone does it smile that's why they're so poo pooed
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I feel a paragraph's length should depend on the subject under description and this has nothing to do with how many lines is acceptable to negotiate by the reader. Also each paragraph should have a sentence that leads into the next paragraph when the subject or scenario is changing.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
A paragraph should be one thought. Shorter paragraphs are also more inviting to read. No one wants to be drowning in words and it can turn people off of a story!
Head Penguin
0 likes
This is a tricky one. I'm quite fond of short paragraphs but then some of mine can be fairly long. It's like changing gear, you kind of know when it's right to start a new one.

There certainly becomes a point where a paragraph becomes a block of text or where a paragraph is so short that it's a fragment. I frequently mess about with my own paragraphs as I work, breaking them up and joining them together. I just go with what feels right.

Danny x

A First Class Service Ch.5

A steamy lesbian three way

Empress of the Moon
0 likes
Quote by nicola
How long should a paragraph be?

A paragraph is a group of sentences about one subject. As long as the subject doesn't change, there is no definite length that a paragraph should be. Long paragraphs are harder to read and look strange on the page. Shorter paragraphs break things up and keep the reader's eyes moving along. I'd say three or four sentences is enough for one paragraph, but then you begin to get into sentence length, and some of those long winding sentences like Thomas Wolfe wrote and pretty soon just a few sentences are taking up a page, and how was I supposed to read one of those huge books and make a report on it when I couldn't get from one end of a sentence to the other without having to start over three or four times, making my entire educational experience harsher and more stressful than it should have been, so of course I used Cliff Notes, and if that's cheating, so what?

Abraham Lincoln was once asked, "How long should a man's legs be."

To which he probably replied, "That's the dumbest question I ever heard."

It was reported, though, that he said, "Long enough to reach the ground."

The third sentence in my Abraham Lincoln story could be combined with the second to form one paragraph instead of two separate ones, but I like the flow better the way it's written. Also, I've always suspected that the question was really about cocks. It may not have been, but this is a sex site. I don't want to go too many words without bringing up a sex organ.

What is the correct answer?
[url]http://[/url]
Wild at Heart
0 likes
Quote by Ruthie

A paragraph is a group of sentences about one subject. As long as the subject doesn't change, there is no definite length that a paragraph should be. Long paragraphs are harder to read and look strange on the page. Shorter paragraphs break things up and keep the reader's eyes moving along. I'd say three or four sentences is enough for one paragraph, but then you begin to get into sentence length, and some of those long winding sentences like Thomas Wolfe wrote and pretty soon just a few sentences are taking up a page, and how was I supposed to read one of those huge books and make a report on it when I couldn't get from one end of a sentence to the other without having to start over three or four times, making my entire educational experience harsher and more stressful than it should have been, so of course I used Cliff Notes, and if that's cheating, so what?

Abraham Lincoln was once asked, "How long should a man's legs be."

To which he probably replied, "That's the dumbest question I ever heard."

It was reported, though, that he said, "Long enough to reach the ground."

I liked that, this was an enjoyable post to read. I agree with pretty much all that is said here. 3 to 4 sentences is more than enough. Especially for erotica.
0 likes
Well, unfortunately, this is more a opinionated question, than a rule question. It depends who you ask, and what they like. For me, I usually go more by length, than how many sentences. To try and make the paragraphs run together a little better I guess.
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
I think all this is fine, but skimming through the thread I don't see anyone addressing the importance of varying paragraph length. Very long paragraphs, particularly on a computer monitor, can be absolutely eye-glazing. Short paragraphs can give a story a very disjointed and disorganized appearance and tone. So I intentionally try to keep paragraphs both long (without getting into too long text blocks) and short (sometimes a couple or three sentences, excepting dialogue paragraphs) and mix them up. It creates a result that is both visually and mentally more interesting for the reader. I think intentionally working to vary paragraph length is just as important as putting effort into varying sentence length and type (using a combination of short and declarative sentences; compound sentences; complex sentences; and, when effective, sentence fragments). And as important as varying word length.
Constant Gardener
0 likes
Quote by bethalia
I think all this is fine, but skimming through the thread I don't see anyone addressing the importance of varying paragraph length. Very long paragraphs, particularly on a computer monitor, can be absolutely eye-glazing. Short paragraphs can give a story a very disjointed and disorganized appearance and tone. So I intentionally try to keep paragraphs both long (without getting into too long text blocks) and short (sometimes a couple or three sentences, excepting dialogue paragraphs) and mix them up. It creates a result that is both visually and mentally more interesting for the reader. I think intentionally working to vary paragraph length is just as important as putting effort into varying sentence length and type (using a combination of short and declarative sentences; compound sentences; complex sentences; and, when effective, sentence fragments). And as important as varying word length.

This, is an example of - eye glazing.
The same GQP demanding we move on from January 6th, 2021 is still doing audits of the November 3rd, 2020 election.
Lurker
0 likes
The very basic rules I learned in years of writing for publication in other venues as well as classes are such

1) Dialogue splits between characters - each character during dialogue should have their own paragraph
2) Change in minor action - Shifts in what is being told should have their own paragraph

These two are the basics, and stories I've had published in anthologies and collections follow this
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
At least five words.
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
Quote by WellMadeMale

This, is an example of - eye glazing.

Well - Your eyes must have a low glazing threshold if four lines will do it.
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
Quote by JasonM
The very basic rules I learned in years of writing for publication in other venues as well as classes are such

1) Dialogue splits between characters - each character during dialogue should have their own paragraph
2) Change in minor action - Shifts in what is being told should have their own paragraph

These two are the basics, and stories I've had published in anthologies and collections follow this

Your #1 is another reason why showing through dialogue is usually better than telling with prose - it acts to add short paragraphs.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by bethalia
Your #1 is another reason why showing through dialogue is usually better than telling with prose - it acts to add short paragraphs.

Yes, but impossible to do entirely - but that is also the reason it's #1, as much as possible should be done with showing instead of telling.
Raised on Blackroot
0 likes
Quote by bethalia

You have that backwards. You never want to just go on describing things through dialogue. That gets boring and tedious.

As someone else mentioned, varied dialogue length is key as well as varied sentence length. Short snappy paragraphs are great for parallel structure and stating something powerful and meaningful, succinctly. Longer ones are great for showing.
Lurker
0 likes
MM - every seminar, class or discussion I've had with other published authors comes down to a single point.

Show - don't Tell

As much as you can, Show using dialogue to describe what's happening - now, there are instances where you can not do that, and that's where 'Tell' comes into play - especially in erotic writing, which does end up with much more Tell than Show, but the rule still works - do what you can with Show
Lurker
0 likes
Rule of thumb, three to four sentences long. Keeps peoples minds focused on what you are saying. Go five sentences and above, chances their mind will wander increases with each additional sentence.