Watch out UK readers, Doris is coming!

last reply
19 replies
2.0k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Matriarch
0 likes
I was watching a TV show yesterday, and one of the guests (comedian / poet), had a job for 2 years, as the person who names storms.

What a great job! He said it was quiet for 11 months of the year, and he didn't have much to do.

So, how on earth did someone come up with the name, "Doris" for a storm?

I'm sorry, a weather bomb with 94 mile winds and 12 inches of snow, does not conjure up imagery of a name like "Doris" for a storm. Bingo, afternoon tea and blue rinses do!

We want dramatic names like, Hurricane Hawke, Blizzard Bacchus, Cyclone Phoenix!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39060095

Stay safe folks!

Head Penguin
0 likes
I would have gone to New Brighton today but I had to work.

It was blowy but nothing like the storm we had two years ago. We lost loads of trees in my area.

D x

A First Class Service Ch.5

A steamy lesbian three way

English Rose
0 likes
It's really gusty in my part of the world with lots of debris on the road, garden fences down and stuff like that. Nothing major though thankfully. Traffic is chaos though as the bridge on the motorway over the estuary has been shut all day. Everything is totally blocked on all the routes through town!
https://www.lushstories.com/stories/fetish/worship-my-bum.aspx
My new story has been awarded the Recommended Read. If you adore a needy bottom and fancy a short, but very naughty read...
Υπηρέτης της Αφροδίτης
0 likes
Pretty much a lot of nothing in the North East, just some wind and rain, nothing exceptional !
In the world's harsh wear and tear many a very sincere attachment is slowly obliterated.

Είμαι ταξιδιώτης τόσο στο χρόνο όσο και στο διάστημα
Scarlet Seductress
0 likes
It was a little blowy here today.

Primus Omnium
0 likes
I was in Sevenoaks in Kent in the 1980s just after they suffered through a wind storm that destroyed a number of the trees. I don't recall if it had blown down the eponymous seven oaks, though.
Matriarch
0 likes
Quote by Melissa999
Pretty much a lot of nothing in the North East, just some wind and rain, nothing exceptional !

0 likes
the storm deserved a better name than Doris. like Windy McRainy. y'know?
Unfuckwithable
0 likes
Quote by browncoffee
the storm deserved a better name than Doris. like Windy McRainy. y'know?

Ah.. Blowy McBlow Face??

You should first read this Looky Here!!

and then this Free stuff

then say 'Hi'
The Linebacker
0 likes
Doris just strikes me as the name of someone who'd own a hair salon like my grandmother goes to. You know, specializes in those football helmet hairdos with enough hairspray that it the hair could survive intact, one of those storms that need to be named.
0 likes
I must ask to see if my weather-geek son is following this story. He mostly focuses on North American weather so he may have missed it. Talks about studying meteorology down the road (he's doing computer science for his undergrad).

Quote by Buz
Doris just strikes me as the name of someone who'd own a hair salon like my grandmother goes to. You know, specializes in those football helmet hairdos with enough hairspray that it the hair could survive intact, one of those storms that need to be named.

Actually, I've known some Dorises who were real classic old battleaxes so the name may be more fitting than some think.

Take care, my UK friends.
0 likes
Quote by apptobebad

Ah.. Blowy McBlow Face??

LIKE.
Princess Popsicle
0 likes
Medium and high wind impact storms that are due to hit the UK are named by the Met Office. They started doing it in 2015/16 so it's now in its second 'season'. The wonderful British public can send suggestions to the Met Office and they then compile a list of the most submitted. They will only consider actual human names. These are then arranged alphabetically and alternate between male and female names. Then, as and when storms come along they are given a name from the list, which is followed in alphabetical order. So Storm Doris was named a while ago and this would have been the name regardless of the strength of the storm or any damage etc.

The names for this year are: Angus (19-20 Nov ’16), Barbara (23-24 Dec 2016), Conor (25-26 Dec 2016), Doris (now), Ewan, Fleur, Gabriel, Holly, Ivor, Jacqui, Kamil, Louise, Malcolm, Natalie, Oisín, Penelope, Robert, Susan, Thomas, Valerie and Wilbert.

Storm Wilbert and Storm Susan don't really evoke fear and treachery either do they? Ah, you can always rely on us Brits to suggest suitable names bahaha.

Yesterday my bin lid flew up and blew a pop bottle and a box of cat biscuits into my neighbour's garden and I can't get round to retrieve them. I have felt suitably guilty about it since. I hope you're proud of yourself Doris.
If you like first time, bisexual or teen then please read this and help make it famous!

My First Time With a Girl
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Storm Sprite, however, will fuck you up.

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by DanielleX

It was blowy but nothing like the storm we had two years ago. We lost loads of trees in my area.

D x

Looks like you and I are pretty close. We got sent home yesterday in Birkenhead cos the roof of our building got blown off and twatted about a dozen cars.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by DanielleX

D x

Looks like you and I are pretty close. We got sent home yesterday in Birkenhead cos the roof of our building got blown off and twatted about a dozen cars.
Troublemaker
0 likes
Boy, did I ever misinterpret the title of this thread...
Head Penguin
0 likes
Quote by GoNE68

I guess so. Luciana Berger is my MP. It sounds like you had it worse but it always is over there.

Head Penguin
0 likes
Quote by kinky_girl
Medium and high wind impact storms that are due to hit the UK are named by the Met Office. They started doing it in 2015/16 so it's now in its second 'season'. The wonderful British public can send suggestions to the Met Office and they then compile a list of the most submitted. They will only consider actual human names. These are then arranged alphabetically and alternate between male and female names. Then, as and when storms come along they are given a name from the list, which is followed in alphabetical order. So Storm Doris was named a while ago and this would have been the name regardless of the strength of the storm or any damage etc.

The names for this year are: Angus (19-20 Nov ’16), Barbara (23-24 Dec 2016), Conor (25-26 Dec 2016), Doris (now), Ewan, Fleur, Gabriel, Holly, Ivor, Jacqui, Kamil, Louise, Malcolm, Natalie, Oisín, Penelope, Robert, Susan, Thomas, Valerie and Wilbert.

Storm Wilbert and Storm Susan don't really evoke fear and treachery either do they? Ah, you can always rely on us Brits to suggest suitable names bahaha.

Yesterday my bin lid flew up and blew a pop bottle and a box of cat biscuits into my neighbour's garden and I can't get round to retrieve them. I have felt suitably guilty about it since. I hope you're proud of yourself Doris.

My Mum's name is Penelope. Is anyone called Wilbert? It sounds like a cartoon name. No offence to any Wilberts out there. Wilberforce would've been better.

D x

Princess Popsicle
0 likes
Quote by DanielleX

My Mum's name is Penelope. Is anyone called Wilbert? It sounds like a cartoon name. No offence to any Wilberts out there. Wilberforce would've been better.

D x

With a bit of luck, we won't make it that far through the alphabet! I don't know anyone called Wilbert. Only time I've seen that name is the arupid BBC three show about the dog.

Still, I'd like a storm named after me! I shall make a submission for next year smile x
If you like first time, bisexual or teen then please read this and help make it famous!

My First Time With a Girl
"insensitive prick!" – Danielle Algo
0 likes
Quote by DanielleX
Is anyone called Wilbert?

Yep, not many though. I even used to have a colleague once whose name was Wigbert

===  Not ALL LIVES MATTER until BLACK LIVES MATTER  ===