Nit-picking: spelling error on Forum page

last reply
27 replies
2.2k views
0 watchers
0 likes
God Empress of Lush
0 likes
Am I really the first person to notice that in the blurb for the "Strange/Amusing Pics" Forum Thread, the word "weird" is spelt wrong ("wierd")?

I know it's a small thing, but we all know spelling matters...

PedanticAnnie xxx

22 February 2024 - How about a quick plug for one of my filthiest recent stories? It's all in the title - Naked Pool Party Swingers | Lush Stories Please read, comment and maybe give it a ❤️ - or even a⭐ if you really enjoy it! Thank you! Annie xxx

0 likes
No, but I think you are the first to point it out though. I make sure I spell check my forum posts, but if others choose not to, that's their right. I can't say I like it, but as you said, it is a small thing.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I get an attack of pedantry every time I get a notification about a friends request being accepted; the two errors in the very short message always stand out.

"Just to let you know LushMember has just accepted your friend's request." - (What did my friend request her to do?)

"Why not say thanks and post something on their wall." - (THEIR wall? Just how many people have accepted?)
Warning: The opinions above are those of an anonymous individual on the internet. They are opinions, unless they're facts. They may be ill-informed, out of touch with reality or just plain stupid. They may contain traces of irony. If reading these opinions causes you to be become outraged or you start displaying the symptoms of outrage, stop reading them immediately. If symptoms persist, consult a psychiatrist.

Why not read some stories instead

NEW! Want a quick read for your coffee break? Why not try this... Flash Erotica: Scrubber
Matriarch
0 likes
You just can't get the staff...

Changes will be made, heads will roll!

(Thx for picking up the errors. I don't write most of the internal site messages, but the "wierd" error was my typo. OMG an 8 year old typo )
Internet Philosopher
0 likes
Quote by nicola
You just can't get the staff...

Changes will be made, heads will roll!

(Thx for picking up the errors. I don't write most of the internal site messages, but the "wierd" error was my typo. OMG an 8 year old typo )

(I'm so fired )
Scarlet Seductress
0 likes
Quote by nicola
(Thx for picking up the errors. I don't write most of the internal site messages, but the "wierd" error was my typo. OMG an 8 year old typo

God Empress of Lush
0 likes
Oh dear, if anyone loses thier job because of me, I'll never forgive myself!

22 February 2024 - How about a quick plug for one of my filthiest recent stories? It's all in the title - Naked Pool Party Swingers | Lush Stories Please read, comment and maybe give it a ❤️ - or even a⭐ if you really enjoy it! Thank you! Annie xxx

Madam Carol
0 likes
Shows that anyone can make a mistake.

When I was still teaching I would find errors in the text books. That is why I have had all my submissions to date edited by another.
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by naughtyannie
Oh dear, if anyone loses thier job because of me, I'll never forgive myself!

i keep trying, but she won't freaking fire me! it's getting frustrating! *growls*

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Charming as fuck
0 likes
Quote by nicola
OMG an 8 year old typo )

please do not discuss typos under 16 years of age in the forums.
Big-haired Bitch
0 likes
Quote by Echelon

please do not discuss typos under 16 years of age in the forums.

Nicely played. *tips hat*

░P░U░S░S░Y░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░

Unicorn Wrangler
0 likes
Quote by overmykneenow
I get an attack of pedantry every time I get a notification about a friends request being accepted; the two errors in the very short message always stand out.

"Just to let you know LushMember has just accepted your friend's request." - (What did my friend request her to do?)

"Why not say thanks and post something on their wall." - (THEIR wall? Just how many people have accepted?)

You are correct, the apostrophe after in "friend's" is incorrect. It should just say, "... has accepted your friend request." (a minor and easily fixed error.)

As to why the message about "LushMember" accepting your friend request says, "... post something on their wall." is because the computer (and correct me Gav & Nicola if I'm wrong about this) doesn't know if the Member in question is male or female so the correct (or should I say politically correct) neutral pronoun is "their." Now... if it said "there" or "they're" I'd be having my own issues, but that's just the English teacher in me.

Perhaps (and if it's not possible, I'll totally fucking live) there might be a way for the system to know if the registered member has identified as male or female so when these messages say, "Why not say thanks and post something on his wall." or "Why not say thanks an post something on her wall."
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by NymphWriter

You are correct, the apostrophe after in "friend's" is incorrect. It should just say, "... has accepted your friend request." (a minor and easily fixed error.)

As to why the message about "LushMember" accepting your friend request says, "... post something on their wall." is because the computer (and correct me Gav & Nicola if I'm wrong about this) doesn't know if the Member in question is male or female so the correct (or should I say politically correct) neutral pronoun is "their." Now... if it said "there" or "they're" I'd be having my own issues, but that's just the English teacher in me.

Perhaps (and if it's not possible, I'll totally fucking live) there might be a way for the system to know if the registered member has identified as male or female so when these messages say, "Why not say thanks and post something on his wall." or "Why not say thanks an post something on her wall."

Using "their" as a singular pronoun is not correct (politically or otherwise). Common usage allows them to be used where the gender isn't determined - though most style guides will tell you to avoid this where at all possible - but in this case the gender is known. It should be easy enough to check the sex but the code should also check whether you can actually write something on the person's wall.
Warning: The opinions above are those of an anonymous individual on the internet. They are opinions, unless they're facts. They may be ill-informed, out of touch with reality or just plain stupid. They may contain traces of irony. If reading these opinions causes you to be become outraged or you start displaying the symptoms of outrage, stop reading them immediately. If symptoms persist, consult a psychiatrist.

NEW! Want a quick read for your coffee break? Why not try this... Flash Erotica: Scrubber
Blackbird Supernova
0 likes
Quote by overmykneenow

Using "their" as a singular pronoun is not correct (politically or otherwise). Common usage allows them to be used where the gender isn't determined - though most style guides will tell you to avoid this where at all possible - but in this case the gender is known. It should be easy enough to check the sex but the code should also check whether you can actually write something on the person's wall.

Or it could just say: "Why not say thanks and post something on your new friend's wall." smile Easy.
Unicorn Wrangler
0 likes
Quote by overmykneenow

I just gave you the explanation that has been and still is used. I'm well aware that "their" is NOT a singular pronoun, I'm just saying it's probably why it was chosen.

Quote by RavenStar
Or it could just say: "Why not say thanks and post something on your new friend's wall." smile Easy.

I completely agree with this. It would solve the problem so quickly and then no one (especially those like OMKN) is bothered by the improper use of the plural third person pronoun "their".
Wild at Heart
0 likes
Quote by NymphWriter

It would solve the problem so quickly and then no one (especially those like OMKN) is bothered by the improper use of the plural third person pronoun "their".

Not trying to defend OMKN as he is plenty capable of that himself. But wouldn't it be more correct to say "would be" instead of "is" in this sentence? "Is" sounds so weird and incorrect. Like the way an uneducated person speaks.

It would solve the problem so quickly and then no one is bothered by the improper use of the plural third person pronoun "their".

It would solve the problem so quickly and then no one would be bothered by the improper use of the plural third person pronoun "their".

I guess you could also say: It solves the problem so quickly and then no one is bothered by the improper use of the plural third person pronoun "their" any longer. If you want to keep "is". Still, doesn't sound right though.
0 likes
If I allowed every spelling/grammatical error I've ever found on this site to bother me, I wouldn't be on this site, I'd be permanently curled up in bed hugging my Condensed OED to my chest. Certain other sites...I can't even visit them, they are so rife with insults to the English language that I'm almost certain that spending more than a few minutes there will induce seizures.

That said, an easy fix to the "why don't you post something on their wall" would be to simply change the phrasing a wee bit, to "why don't you post something on his or her wall". Honestly, I've not ever agonised much over that particular sentence because I don't post anything to anybody's wall, aside from possibly typing "thank you for accepting my request" once in a while.
Want to spend some time wallowing in a Recommended Read? Pick one! Or two! Or seven!

Unicorn Wrangler
0 likes
Quote by Magical_felix
Not trying to defend OMKN as he is plenty capable of that himself. But wouldn't it be more correct to say "would be" instead of "is" in this sentence? "Is" sounds so weird and incorrect. Like the way an uneducated person speaks.

It would solve the problem so quickly and then no one is bothered by the improper use of the plural third person pronoun "their".

It would solve the problem so quickly and then no one would be bothered by the improper use of the plural third person pronoun "their".

I guess you could also say: It solves the problem so quickly and then no one is bothered by the improper use of the plural third person pronoun "their" any longer. If you want to keep "is". Still, doesn't sound right though.

Both sentences are grammatically correct. It only sounds off because we so rarely hear English used correctly. One is present tense and the other is future tense. Though it may "sound" to you as the way an uneducated person speaks, the subject and verb agreement is correct.

EDIT: Don't waste time bitching about my typo. I already fixed it.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Magical_felix

Not trying to defend OMKN as he is plenty capable of that himself.

*Hugs*

Lurker
0 likes
Quote by overmykneenow

*Hugs*

Now that you have hugged, can we all admit how capable MF is of offending people, how often he does it, & how much we could improve this site & Forum by removing him altogether?!
Wild at Heart
0 likes
Quote by overmykneenow

*Hugs*

I actually laughed out loud.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Magical_felix

I actually laughed out loud.

I do that every time I get banned, & return to see you are still an active posting member... Considering a poll regarding that on this Forum (maybe in this same area).
Wild at Heart
0 likes
Quote by Tnadnuder

I do that every time I get banned, & return to see you are still an active posting member... Considering a poll regarding that on this Forum (maybe in this same area).

Sounds like a good time.
Internet Philosopher
0 likes
Quote by RavenStar

Winner
Matriarch
0 likes
For the latter, it was decided the non-gender related winner, would be:

"Why not say thanks and post something on *membername*’s wall?"

That's what I get paid the big bucks for.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by nicola
For the latter, it was decided the non-gender related winner, would be:

"Why not say thanks and post something on *membername*’s wall?"

That's what I get paid the big bucks for.

What if that person has disabled profile comments?

Site administrator
0 likes
Quote by overmykneenow

What if that person has disabled profile comments?

lol are you serious?

ok ..

"Why not say thanks and post something on *membername*’s wall? ... assuming its available for friends to comment on, the member has not deactivated, the members wishes, according to their profile biography, that friends do not post on their wall, there isnt an R in the month and its after 6pm"
Short Arse Brit
0 likes
Quote by simplyjohn

lol are you serious?

ok ..

"Why not say thanks and post something on *membername*’s wall? ... assuming its available for friends to comment on, the member has not deactivated, the members wishes, according to their profile biography, that friends do not post on their wall, there isnt an R in the month and its after 6pm"

That would be awsome

Also a list of likes and dislikes would be appreciated. By way of example. Kiera does not like anal sex or cum pics on her wall, but she likes Henry Cavil pics preferably naked ones. Or Trinket likes unicorns and fairies, but please don't post cucumbers or Brussel sprouts... DO NOT post Justin Bieber on Sprites wall post Bambi instead...Don't post SJ steak and chip unless you consider it cyber sex (it will make him cum ) And don't post pigs on his wall on his birthday he doesn't like it but he does love flowers... just stuff like that would be helpful
The Duchess of Tart

Please check out my new story, co-written with the amazing Wilful.

https://www.lushstories.com/stories/straight-sex/long-time-coming.aspx

And my latest poem, The Temptation.

https://www.lushstories.com/stories/erotic-poems/the-temptation.aspx