Join the best erotica focused adult social network now
Login

How Important is Sexual Openness in a Relationship?

last reply
20 replies
1.6k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Rookie Scribe
0 likes
My username is unguiltyfantasy because I believe that no one should ever feel guilty about their sexual fantasies.

I've been lucky enough to have had at least one girlfriend who was absolutely open about her sexuality and was entirely accepting of mine, and actually some of the stranger aspects she found arousing. We've since moved on and I'm actually deathly afraid of being as open to anyone else as I was with her.

So this brings me to my questions: How important is sexual openness in a relationship? To what extent would you be accepting of/willing to try some of the kinky things your lover likes? And finally: What are some of the strange things you like? (Adhere to Lush rules, please)

I'll tell you a little story about me. When I was young, I was a gymnast. I participated for a few years, and I got pretty flexible. This was before I even knew what sex or masturbation were, but one day I got curious I decided to try to put my penis in my mouth. Long story short, I was able to suck myself off before I even knew what masturbation was. I told this story to the girl I was with my senior year of highschool, and to my surprise, her reaction was "I want to see." (At that point I was less flexible and could only lick the head) Apparently girls like that sort of thing, because she told a friend from her hometown that her boyfriend could lick his own dick, and she responded: "Lucky!" It's something special when your dirty little secrets are a turn-on for your significant other.

So let's here your stories.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
For myself, it's very important. You have to let your partner know what you like and don't like, and what your fantasies are. If your a good match than They should be open and accepting of your sexual needs and even support them. Some people are more... sexually open and adventurous and you need to find someone that's 'on your level' haha. Don't waste your time/life on someone who holds you back and doesn't fulfill your needs, sexual or otherwise.

Get Kinky!
Check out my profile & add me as a friend!

Heat up your day with my erotic stories:
My Opportunistic Neighbor,The Dorm Room Diaries: Tempting Terrell,
Claiming the Rear Entrance

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by unguiltyfantasy
My username is unguiltyfantasy because I believe that no one should ever feel guilty about their sexual fantasies.

I've been lucky enough to have had at least one girlfriend who was absolutely open about her sexuality and was entirely accepting of mine, and actually some of the stranger aspects she found arousing. We've since moved on and I'm actually deathly afraid of being as open to anyone else as I was with her.

So this brings me to my questions: How important is sexual openness in a relationship? To what extent would you be accepting of/willing to try some of the kinky things your lover likes? And finally: What are some of the strange things you like? (Adhere to Lush rules, please)

I'll tell you a little story about me. When I was young, I was a gymnast. I participated for a few years, and I got pretty flexible. This was before I even knew what sex or masturbation were, but one day I got curious I decided to try to put my penis in my mouth. Long story short, I was able to suck myself off before I even knew what masturbation was. I told this story to the girl I was with my senior year of highschool, and to my surprise, her reaction was "I want to see." (At that point I was less flexible and could only lick the head) Apparently girls like that sort of thing, because she told a friend from her hometown that her boyfriend could lick his own dick, and she responded: "Lucky!" It's something special when your dirty little secrets are a turn-on for your significant other.

So let's here your stories.

First thing I'd like to say is wow, what an excellent first posting, congratulations and welcome to the forum. I do believe this might have been better in Personal Crowd Sourcing but I hope it gets the responses it deserves.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
The big problem is we are all different and to be open you need trust. Trust doesn't come automatically, it grows and has to be earned. There's no way that you go out on a first date and say "I'm into fisting", you'll end up with a lot of first dates if it even lasts that long!
Once you've built up trust then you can introduce fantasies and fetishes but you have to encourage your partner to open up as well.
Another thing is you are rarely born with them, they develop and can change constantly. You can grow out of a fetish as easily as you can develop a new one. I think this will become more widespread through the internet, we have access to things we never knew existed and the more adventurous will want to try it.
For myself, I was very vanilla when I was young but grew to be willing to try out lots of kinks partners had. They may or may not have done anything for me but I've never been asked to do anything that I refused, although there are things that I wouldn't do.
Head Nurse
0 likes
Quote by dpw
The big problem is we are all different and to be open you need trust. Trust doesn't come automatically, it grows and has to be earned. There's no way that you go out on a first date and say "I'm into fisting", you'll end up with a lot of first dates if it even lasts that long!
Once you've built up trust then you can introduce fantasies and fetishes but you have to encourage your partner to open up as well.
Another thing is you are rarely born with them, they develop and can change constantly. You can grow out of a fetish as easily as you can develop a new one. I think this will become more widespread through the internet, we have access to things we never knew existed and the more adventurous will want to try it.
For myself, I was very vanilla when I was young but grew to be willing to try out lots of kinks partners had. They may or may not have done anything for me but I've never been asked to do anything that I refused, although there are things that I wouldn't do.

well stated.

I do think that starting out vanilla when you are young is a very good thing. I cringe a little when I see posts by young people saying I am 18 and really into <insert extreme kink here> How do you really know if you havent fully experienced the vanilla also?

For myself, I started out pretty vanilla, now Im rather open to whatever, and love rainbow sherbet.
Lurker
0 likes
there is no easy answer.... sometimes it comes upfront ... sometimes it comes little by little... sometimes u hold back because every indication is it's not welcome.... that's when relationship questions become soooo hard..
Lurker
0 likes
I grew up in a Swedish family in the US. I never knew there was any difference in what sex is from what my friends knew. For example, It was common to see dad with his hand down the front of mom's top, hear them going at it in their bedroom. The crucifix on the wall was next to the nudist calendar. I grew up with open honest respect for sex, and especially for making love. It wasn't until I was put into Catholic school did I develop weird ideas of what others saw as 'wrong' sex. BS about it being only for procreation.

I have raised my kids to open and honest about sex and my (edited by admin) daughter comes to me about sex and female things because her mother is repressed when it comes to talking about it. Yet her mother has no problem spreading her legs for anyone she fancies.

Now that I'm coming out of the feminist BS about sex I will stay true to myself and if whomever I'm with can't accept my openness then it's Hit the Road Jill.

Life is too damn short to not live it the way you want (w/o hurting others - unless they're into that ;-) Especially now at 67.

For me sexual openness is paramount to a successful relationship with me.

If the relationship is built on trust and honesty then openness is included.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by hayley
there is no easy answer.... sometimes it comes upfront ... sometimes it comes little by little... sometimes u hold back because every indication is it's not welcome.... that's when relationship questions become soooo hard..

Well put.0Vo254NWqQ4fhsBx
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by naughtynurse

well stated.

I do think that starting out vanilla when you are young is a very good thing. I cringe a little when I see posts by young people saying I am 18 and really into <insert extreme kink here> How do you really know if you havent fully experienced the vanilla also?

For myself, I started out pretty vanilla, now Im rather open to whatever, and love rainbow sherbet.

This is very true and I feel the same way. We all really are born somewhat vanilla. With the exception of my first sexual contact being with a girl, I was very vanilla at first. No one is born loving to be fisted. you had to have been exposed to it and something in you clicked and said " I would like to see what that is like". Some people are more inherently adventurous than others but this is true in life, not just sex.

As far as being open with your partner, it is very important but as someone stated trust needs to be built first. You cant tell them everything on your first date and expect them to say, Thats Great. you need to build trust in each other, get to know what you both like before springing your kinks on your partner. And you also must be open to your partners kinks too. Its give and take!
In-House Sapiosexual
0 likes
I personally feel that it is impossible to have a truly healthy relationship with your partner if you can't be honest, are hiding who you truly are or what you need to be satisfied. How can you grow together? Sexual openness is necessary. Otherwise, what's missing might pop up and be available somewhere else. Atleast if you know, you can make the choice.
? A True Story ?
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I would want to know. It's not always easy to say, but its your partner. They need to know. hiding it is not going to help you
Cocolicious
0 likes
Quote by avrgblkgrl
I personally feel that it is impossible to have a truly healthy relationship with your partner if you can't be honest, are hiding who you truly are or what you need to be satisfied. How can you grow together? Sexual openness is necessary. Otherwise, what's missing might pop up and be available somewhere else. Atleast if you know, you can make the choice.

Very well said. The only thing that I can add is that if I don't feel that openness or the potential for it from the start, I don't waste my time. And please recognize that if you can't develop it, there is no hope for the relationship. THAT is how necessary I think it is...
Internet Philosopher
0 likes
Quote by Coco

Very well said. The only thing that I can add is that if I don't feel that openness or the potential for it from the start, I don't waste my time. And please recognize that if you can't develop it, there is no hope for the relationship. THAT is how necessary I think it is...

Boy, this is so true. My last relationship ended painfully for everyone concerned and in the end it boiled down to the fact that we were not sexually compatible and we were unable to find ground where we could be find trust and satisfaction.

It really put me in a place where I'm almost terrified of getting involved in anything serious again.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Milik_The_Red

It really put me in a place where I'm almost terrified of getting involved in anything serious again.

I think it's a common occurrence when it ends badly. Hopefully you will get through past it because from your posts you have a lot to offer a partner.
Internet Philosopher
0 likes
Quote by dpw

I think it's a common occurrence when it ends badly. Hopefully you will get through past it because from your posts you have a lot to offer a partner.

Thank you. That was a very thoughtful comment
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
That's an easy one total openness is the only way to truly get what you want!
0 likes
You don't blurt out your sex preferences on a first date, but if the relationship is going to progress, a gentle introductory discussion early on could save bad feelings later. If it is goilg to become a full-on relationship, then full openness is necessary.
Rookie Scribe
0 likes
i think its very important in any kind of realationship me being in bdsm and owned i think its so important he knows what i want try might want try no way doing and love .as well as i like to know what he likes and donest like.
Rookie Scribe
0 likes
i think its very important in any kind of realationship me being in bdsm and owned i think its so important he knows what i want try might want try no way doing and love .as well as i like to know what he likes and donest like.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
It depends. What else is there in the relationship besides sex? If that's all you have, then it's critical. If you have awesomeness everywhere else, then it's secondary.