Words and phrases that really suck

last reply
68 replies
5.0k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Una chica rubia caliente
0 likes
So many words and phrases used in common parlance now really suck. Some of them, like dude, awesome, bro, it is what it is, at the end of the day and just sayin' are so overused (and useless) that they make me cringe. Do you have some loathsome words and phrases that engage your gag reflex?? Would you care to share them and see if you can make the group nauseous??

0 likes
In a similar thread on another board, I mentioned "YOLO" which is teenspeak for "You only live once." I get the sentiment (I've been know to toss "carpe diem", which is a similar sentiment, around) but the kids overuse it to the point of rendering it meaningless.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
1. Near miss!! Wouldn't that be a hit??
2. Close enough!!
3. Twerking
4. Give it a 110%... Anything more than 100% is impossible
5. I've told you a billion times!! Sure, you may have said it many many times.. But really? A billion times??
6. It's as long as four football fields!! Just tell me that it's 400 yards... I can do the math from there!

I'm sure there are more that drive me nutzoid, but my mind is not working to it's full potential right now.
Flash a Trucker... It's appreciated!!

Read my latest story at; http://www.lushstories.com/stories/exhibitionism/a-weekend-at-the-cottage-part-1.aspx
Lurker
0 likes
Hi Shannon,

Here are some of my thoughts:-

The most hackneyed adjective in the UK press at the moment is "eye watering" used to characterise large sums of money. Onions make your eyes water, money certainly doesn't; yet this shibboleth can be found in virtually every piece of financial news.

Another one is "just", used to describe a particular amount or value. Well it is either £1 or it isn't (not maybe 99p or £1.01). £1 is £1 and nothing else...so to say just £1 is flatulent.

In conversation overworked clichés like "at this moment in time" or "due to austerity everyone..." grate immediately.

Redundant words such as "like" and "innit" are often repeatedly used instead of proper punctuation, usually by people who live in Essex.

Referring to every person (except possibly HRH The Queen) aged over 65 as "a pensioner".

Of course whole sectors of the economy routinely use utterly meaningless jargon to convey absolutely nothing, or to totally misrepresent the truth. For example " a highly desirable cosy cottage, ideally situated but in need of a little superficial decoration" really means a seriously dilapidated wreck next to a motorway that really needs demolition and a rebuild.

The one I really miss, around when I was a child, is the stock reply from a 1960's railway trades union leader named Sidney Weighell (pronounced Wheel) who when asked if the trains would be running again would invariably assume a rictus grin and declare in response to some bribe from the employers to lift yet another strike "we will give it due consideration and put a motion to the execkertive (sic) commiddee (sic) sometime next week." Translated this actually meant "Piss off, I neither know nor fucking care." It was great to use to wind up officious people of all kinds who wanted something done quickly for no valid reason.
Head Penguin
0 likes
'The proof is in the pudding.'

The phrase is, 'The proof of the pudding is in the eating.' Why can't people get it right!!!

A First Class Service Ch.5

A steamy lesbian three way

Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Shannon3K
So many words and phrases used in common parlance now really suck. Some of them, like dude, awesome, bro, it is what it is, at the end of the day and just sayin' are so overused (and useless) that they make me cringe. Do you have some loathsome words and phrases that engage your gag reflex?? Would you care to share them and see if you can make the group nauseous??

Selfie

Millennials

Obama care

Yolo

Hey whats up? or Hey waz up

Totally

You dig? (very old but still being used in my part of the world)

A cashier at the market asking 'Hi How Are You' I know it's a friendly greeting, but do they REALLY care?

I'll end it with this joke, somewhat relates to this thread....
Why do valley girls take 2 birth control pills at the same time? to be 'for sure for sure'
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I also hate YOLO. Drives me nuts.

Swag is another one that really really annoys the hell out of me.
English Rose
0 likes
"Step up to the plate" i.e. take responsibility, really bugs me. It's fine in the context of someone from the USA saying it, but it's crept very much into common usage in the UK too. We don't even have baseball here lol
https://www.lushstories.com/stories/fetish/worship-my-bum.aspx
My new story has been awarded the Recommended Read. If you adore a needy bottom and fancy a short, but very naughty read...
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by chriskayaks

4. Give it a 110%... Anything more than 100% is impossible

I hate that. Last night I heard a soccer manager say that a certain player give 1,000% every match! I think he should be drug tested!

Like! Why put that at the end of a sentence? What do you mean? Like, as in attracted to, fond of? Or, as in similar to? Well I don't like it or anything like it!!!
Also using "you know"! Common in UK. If I know, why are you telling me something I already know?
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
There are too many that drive me nuts! I think I'm turning into a grumpy old man!
Lurker
0 likes
Jason, it's not you. It's me.

Lmao.

Just kidding.

If you don't know me, hey is not a greeting.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Hoover
My Karma just ran over your Dogma
Una chica rubia caliente
0 likes
two more, like, way overused and idiotic terms: double down and gentle giant. And perhaps I started this thread just to vent....
Lurker
0 likes
When people use the word 'like' instead of 'said'. For example "he was like, are you serious? And I was like duh, of course." That winds me right up.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by jollyjack
Hoover

J Edgar the FBI cross dresser?

or President Hoover?

or hoover the sucking monster on the carpet?
Lurker
0 likes
People who say " leave it till tomorrow " Don t they know TOMORROW never comes
Lurker
0 likes
EPIC

sick of hearing the word "Epic".
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I've always liked this one

Those that mind don't matter, those that matter don't mind.
Lurker
0 likes
POLITICALLY CORRECT. That phrase makes me want to rebel.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Whateverrrr
In-House Sapiosexual
0 likes
"I don't do drama", because it is always spoken by the ones that do.
? A True Story ?
Una chica rubia caliente
0 likes
"teachable moment" (so condescending) "no problem" (why would it be?)
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
I agree with most everything posted. I could add:

"You know." And/or "I know." To every statement or question

"When I was your age.."
Lurker
0 likes
Color.favor,labor,humor,...need I go on? Where is the U?

Oh and "check" instead of "cheque"...

RULE, BRITANNIA! Britannia, rule the waves!..........

Well, you did asksmile
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by dpw

I hate that. Last night I heard a soccer manager say that a certain player give 1,000% every match! I think he should be drug tested!

Like! Why put that at the end of a sentence? What do you mean? Like, as in attracted to, fond of? Or, as in similar to? Well I don't like it or anything like it!!!
Also using "you know"! Common in UK. If I know, why are you telling me something I already know?

Hate a British person calling "football", "soccer".....just sayingsmile